Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha understand now. That is an especially tough scenario if you like the solo. You can solo on probably every combat skill. Taking a long break will bring you back refreshed to try it all again. I know..I've taken really long breaks in the game before.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I like to play tanky builds that do decent dmg solo. That way I can have a working role in groups and on my own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many options for tanky builds in this game. I'm sure you can find a way to solo through the entire game minus Mants/Pask/Dungeons. I'm hoping for group options outside of that. Maybe create cross class combos and make the AI change it's threat meters on the fly. An example of that type of change could be healing or buffing creating threat. Add a variety of attacks to mobs besides just dps. Give them more advanced group tactics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    I was having a really good discussion with a guild earlier today. We were talking about current builds that allow you to solo through almost all content. Would you guys like to see more role oriented content or are you happy with playing solo? If game remains a "dps race", why even have as many combat skills as the game does (even more when deciding on combat combos)?
    Hmm. If i am under standing the issue here its a build that you can slowly solo content with VS a group dynimis where you have tank, heals and deeps?

a Couple points:

1) with all the skills i think its very viable to be able to do both, to me thats one of the great things about the load-out ability. So i am thinking thats what the devs have in mind.

2) if a person is maxxed out gears right now and can solo things, i dont feel that is a reflection on how that will work at what the max level cap will be, that being said do i have an issue with someone with max aug-gears with a brilliant set up going out and being able to solo things? no i dont. as long as its not some imba expoilt. if a person can slowly grind max lvl mobs, well done i say.

hope i didnt missunderstand this.

my 2 cents

Yak

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My play time is not consistent, and is always subject to interruption. As a result, I tend to do most of my hunting and questing solo.

Spur-of-the-moment questing is fine, but the TIME required to move from one area to another means any quest is likely to require far too much time just to assemble at a given location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The game lacks a degree of consistency, I think, so it's nearly always better to build your character to suit all situations (i.e. solo) rather than make a group character.

As it stands, all dungeons can be done by simply adding more numbers to the group - regardless of character builds, so this lends preference to solo builds further.

There isn't enough personal investment required to cap out a particular skillset to define your character by that role, as you can easily drop and shuffle around skills at a whim, so naturally people will experiment more and tend towards what works, rather than trying to work off each others weaknesses in a group.

Everything's pooled into a single character, as well. So not only do characters end up being more flexible, they're more powerful (that's a pun, a lot of secondary skills award power bonuses). It seems expected at this stage that players would at least have items available to them for solo-play.

You don't see people looking for X role for specific content. Everyone just looks for numbers; the more the merrier kind of deal. It works in its own way, but I'm not so sure group content benefits for it.

I remember in the past, a lot of dungeons were made less soloable, but instead of grouping up people would just further optimise their builds until they could solo it again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some impressions from group play:

- The GUI isn't particularly well-suited to support role players monitoring party member's conditions.

- Few people heal others by skill design, and tank aggro is generally problematic when mobbed, which leads to high-DPS group mates 'soloing together'.

- Experience seems divided in such a way as to discourage grouping to level (which can be fun).

Some observations from solo play:

- Respawn can be too quick when combined with wanderers to pull and clear your way though some level-appropriate areas.

- Soloing the first play through is very fun. Advancing a second skill line pair, however, is not so fun due to content repetition. This has resulted in my late 40's fire magic progression being temporarily arrested by Elite Dangerous.

A balance pass I would like to see:

Instead of balancing group vs. solo (dungeons vs. other) almost exclusively by having large numbers of mobs, with frequent wandering adds and high respawn rates... have a few group areas that are balanced around having fewer mobs that are encountered in a more structured way and are more challenging for that level (the 'elite' mob, if you will) instead. If a dungeon yielded good experience and good loot, and generally required someone to tank and hold aggro, someone to primarily heal and others to primarily apply damage, you might see more people creating structured groups to crawl through level-appropriate content rather than just forming high-dps duos and trios to out-dps respawn.

Note: I have not yet been through the mythical 'labs' dungeon.
    Last edited by snowe; 01-17-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be much more enthusiastic about grouping if there was a pure healer ability. Please don't suggest Pig, I HATE pig.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilibat View Post
    I would be much more enthusiastic about grouping if there was a pure healer ability. Please don't suggest Pig, I HATE pig.
    I haven't had the honor of playing a pig. I think Eric is smart to design all non combat skills to be done solo. I guess I'm looking for more meaningful group opportunities. That definitely would require more specific roles for grouping and different AI for those mobs. I think back to a game like Guild Wars 1. In that game the mobs changed targets all the time and they were able to use the same combat skills that players could. Maybe PG doesn't need to go that extreme with group content...but maybe make mobs more than dps machines. Also a good way to produce grouping opportunities could be through cross build combos. Example, player A can create a water field. Player B cast a fire spell in the area that produces steam, which then blinds mobs in the area of effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    Also a good way to produce grouping opportunities could be through cross build combos. Example, player A can create a water field. Player B cast a fire spell in the area that produces steam, which then blinds mobs in the area of effect.
    Camelot Unchained is doing that actually. Of course that is a PvP game with no PVE at all.

Thread Footer