Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Movement appears to be unnecessarily difficult

I just loaded the demo for the first time.

Since I had mouselook (i.e., I can move the mouse and look around), I assumed I would move in the direction I was looking. Nope.

Instead, I can use the double right click (which works most of the time), or I have to use the A/D keys to attempt to rotate my body to point in the correct direction.

Am I missing something obvious here, or is that indeed the plan of movement for all players?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have posted about the whiplash effect where in other mmo's the camera is smoother and doesn't correct the players vision and ability to play the game.
    A suggestion has been made on this weird camera mechanic and other people have mentioned it, hopefully in the future this will get onto the todo list by someone who knows the bliss of camera control options.
    Altho when players do something that causes animation lock like gathering it also affects the camera which is weird, i dont think this has been suggested to be smoothed out.
    pictures of some settings that might help, im not sure how many options the demo lets you have:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3_17-14-25.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3_17-14-37.jpg

Current loopholes to get around this stuff:
    *: hold right click to look and move when using w,a,s,d
    *: dont use left click unless you want to break your charcters neck
    *: hotkeys change your Q, E, with A and D, so you can strafe with right click to move.
    *: click to move has a few setting options you can make combat slightly less of a camera hog making it face everywhere your character does, you can make it not flip around, but it still will for gathering resources which is a pain and same concept as the combat camera why they cant share the same kinda necksnapping whiplash settings .
    *: iv changed around my Q and E to do other things instead of rotate:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3_17-18-44.jpg
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3_17-18-59.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammar View Post
    Since I had mouselook (i.e., I can move the mouse and look around), I assumed I would move in the direction I was looking. Nope.
    I've never played a game in 20 years where mouselook alone set the direction of travel. Just because I turn my head in real life to look at something doesn't mean my body moves in that direction. The game plays like every standard MMORPG - right click held down will change the way your body is facing and both mouse buttons held down means you move as well as turn. (I turned off the right-click to move because it was REALLY irritating)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdelver View Post
    I've never played a game in 20 years where mouselook alone set the direction of travel. Just because I turn my head in real life to look at something doesn't mean my body moves in that direction. The game plays like every standard MMORPG - right click held down will change the way your body is facing and both mouse buttons held down means you move as well as turn. (I turned off the right-click to move because it was REALLY irritating)
    I can appreciate your perspective when it comes to other MMOs. but the second you go making physical comparisons of things in real life to game in which I can shoot fireballs out of a wooden stick, and turn into a spider, you lose your credibility in logic with me.
    Coglin, Master Bard, subsequent druid. - Master of all Animals that can be Handled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coglin View Post
    I can appreciate your perspective when it comes to other MMOs. but the second you go making physical comparisons of things in real life to game in which I can shoot fireballs out of a wooden stick, and turn into a spider, you lose your credibility in logic with me.
    You say that like you think I care. Dream on. Some things in "real life vs game" can safely be extrapolated on. Others can not. Logic dictates you should cease being disingenuous, know one from the other and take it on board.
    Last edited by Rockdelver; 02-23-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say that like you think I care. Dream on. Some things in "real life vs game" can safely be extrapolated on. Others can not. Logic dictates you should cease being disingenuous, know one from the other and take it on board.
    Look, I am simply attempting to help you make your point by sticking to the aspects that do not retract from your credibility. If you wish to be defensive about logic and common sense, that is on you. You may claim it all you like, but my vast experience in MMO discussions over 25 years or so suggest you do not garner support with fellow players well, when using real world aspects to make demands about functionality in a fantasy video game.
    Coglin, Master Bard, subsequent druid. - Master of all Animals that can be Handled.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some aspects of a fanstasy game are designed to reflect real life though... For example eels and sharks don't yield fish scales when filleted, but other fish do and so on.

Fantasy games extend what is possible in the reality, but mostly they do not overwrite it entirely. That's how i see it anyways.

Anyways this thread seems to be getting pretty far afield. @OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Blammar View Post
    I just loaded the demo for the first time.

Instead, I can use the double right click (which works most of the time), or I have to use the A/D keys to attempt to rotate my body to point in the correct direction.

Am I missing something obvious here, or is that indeed the plan of movement for all players?
    Yes, you are missing that you can turn with the right mouse button instead of use the left mouse button to mouselook. That should give you the behavior you were expecting from mouselook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    @OP:

Yes, you are missing that you can turn with the right mouse button instead of use the left mouse button to mouselook. That should give you the behavior you were expecting from mouselook.
    Frak me. When I could mouselook with the LMB, I never thought to try with the RMB also. The RMB works the way I want. RMB around, then press W to move forward. THANK YOU!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah right, i have played a few and they lasted a few years with a small population before crashing.
    It's weird how the camera gets locked by things, foraging animations and left click are my peeves, if there wasnt the option to turn it off in combat it would be that too, but im still meh on the how the game wants to look at my characters butt if i click a target instead of where i want to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    Some aspects of a fanstasy game are designed to reflect real life though... For example eels and sharks don't yield fish scales when filleted, but other fish do and so on.

Fantasy games extend what is possible in the reality, but mostly they do not overwrite it entirely. That's how i see it anyways.
    Quite so.

Thread Footer