Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Economy/Gear Accessability/Progression/Milk Money

I'm a level 69 BC/Mentalist and I have most of the skill I actually use updated. For me that was a major accomplishment but at the same time something feels wrong with advancement.

But I can't make any gear or modify it; from what I can tell those professions are 99% money sinks until you get to the top level of creation. I don't have a cheese business so I can't really seem to make much money. But I do profit from people wanting to make cheese and that is really my only source of steady income. Something seems woefully wrong that the only way I can begin to afford anything is by making 3 extra characters and handing them bottles to sell milk (125 milks with bottle exchange=25k). And while I do make some decent money on the side via industry it isn't much advancement because I have to buy all the recipes to make the things they want (stools, crates, chairs.etc). The only reason I got to 50 alchemy was because I found two recipes that I could use to gain skill for profit by buying/farming mats and selling the profit to npcs. That being said alchemy is worthless because it doesn't make things people need to advance (just occasional combines for quest turn in).

If feels wrong that I have pretty much all level 50 gear or lower. The continual feel of the game is:

1. Get to new area, farm everything but the bosses
    2. Find carries for the bosses until you have appropriate level drops [let me clarify this point a bit - have someone who is way beyond this dungeon solo the boss for you so that you can get a drop that is your level by beating a boss you would never beat until you were geared from those bosses.]
    3. Farm boss repeatedly on rotation/cooldown (goto #1 )

The problem here is that there is an inordinate shift in cost of training beyond 50 with no real shift in gear payouts (own a cheese factory or gtfo). Translation: lvls 50-70 means time spent grinding mobs beneath your level. That too feels wrong. The level of wrong continues as there is no real way to get lvl 70 gear aside from getting carried in dungeons by people who have it or if you know a guy who can craft and you provide mats.

I realize this is a work in progress but I think the current flow of the game is way off in terms of progression. At the end of the day you must give players hope that they can advance when they play. Remove that element and they don't play your game in favor of something else. They also need to have some way of advancing alone which currently does not feel feasible.

Overall I completely disagree with the current design choice that skills w/o gear are nearly completely worthless & insanely expensive. I could probably live with very cheap skills that are worthless w/o gear. But I think the game would be smoother if gear didn't account for massive increases in skill advancement.

Realistically this translates to: oh that piece of gear doesn't have the 50% dmg modifier I need? Trash. I realize augment/transmutation can address this somewhat but I can't afford that process right now (gotta get him to soulmates basically).

I want to close by saying that I have enjoyed the game for what it is but I would love to see some economy reworks. As a whole it feels way too harsh needing to bribe everyone with a king's ransom so I can learn to tie my shoelaces.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've really ignored a huge part of the game i think, and just leveled combat skills. I think the problem is in how you approach the game, not in the game itself. Everything in the game costs money. At the same time, nearly everything you do can make you money.

-There are lots of ways to make money, not just Cheese and stomachs.
    -Skinning and butchering can bring in quite a bit. More if you tan the skins and make a profit while leveling tanning.
    -Work orders generate a ton of cash as you gain the skills to do them. Sure, you have to level the skills to do the work orders. But that's sort of a point of the game. The first time you do a work order it easily pays for the recipe. After that it's just profit.
    -Skinning and Tailoring don't have to be money sinks unless you decide to grind them out fast. Grow your own cotton, mine or survey for gems. Kill things for the skins.
    -Gardening can make money easily. Even just growing potatoes and onions can be done low level and many cooking recipes use tons of these. Doing work orders levels industry so that you can have a vendor stall. Or just pay the cash and get it earlier. Alchemy does make a lot of things people need.
    -Foraging can be huge. Pick flowers, grow them and sell to players. Sell stacks of wood, mushrooms, fruit.
    -Alchemy/Mycology have a lot of recipes that make money. I've sold stacks of speed potions, smoothies, suspensions. Anything that saves someone some time.
    -Start running surveys for mining and geology. Then you can make some cash, and not have to buy gems and metals to level skills and do work orders.

The biggest thing I'd suggest is pausing as you hit 70/70 and finish buying skills. That constant drain of cash goes away and makes it easier to do lots of other things. I spend money freely on anything I need, but since I'm not leveling skills this past couple of weeks, my bank account went up by 300k.

The game has a huge amount of things that make you money. This can be dependent though on storage space, favor with vendors, knowing who buys what, and traveling around a bit to gather and do work orders.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to your gear being level 50, lets look at what you said:

-You rejected getting materials and handing them to a crafter. Why? Lots of people do this.
    -You rejected going to a level 70 zone with people who have the gear already. Guess how they got their gear? Join a GK group and pick up some gear. No one cares if you aren't contributing as much dps as someone else. As long as the mobs die it's fine, and since they are elites, everyone is getting gear. It's also a good way to get the gear you need to level up trans and augmentation skills.
    -There are zones that drop better than level 50 gear. Go do some of the caves in Gazuk Plateau, or just kill stuff outside. Pretty lucrative when you kill a wolf that drops a 150 council skin every time, lichen and wood you can forage for 200 a piece, amazing metal nodes, and drops off mobs that can sell for 3k each. I did a lot of Gazuk, it's caves, and killing orcs in the city before I went in the keep. Then I worked on augs and trans to move some augs around and my gear got better step by step.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Leatherworking wiki page and decide on a 70er set (any), then work on getting those mats together. You don't have to be able to make it yourself, many people in this game will craft it for you if you provide the material - maybe join a guild, they might have someone who can do it for you.

In the meantime, you can do Gazluk caves or Rahu desert, the mobs there drop decent enough stuff.
    Last edited by kazeandi; 06-03-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhaila View Post
    You've really ignored a huge part of the game i think, and just leveled combat skills. I think the problem is in how you approach the game, not in the game itself. Everything in the game costs money. At the same time, nearly everything you do can make you money.
    Joke's on you because my butchering is close to 56 and I have unlocked the 60 cap. The money you get from skinning (which is only at 55 with +10 skill knife) and butchering is very small. There is not a lot of money to be made weekly by killing things and turning it into food for easy skill ups and selling the food.

Why? Because cooking is easy.

-There are lots of ways to make money, not just Cheese and stomachs.
    -Skinning and butchering can bring in quite a bit. More if you tan the skins and make a profit while leveling tanning.
    -Work orders generate a ton of cash as you gain the skills to do them. Sure, you have to level the skills to do the work orders. But that's sort of a point of the game. The first time you do a work order it easily pays for the recipe. After that it's just profit.
    Funny you say that as my industry is just shy of 40. I only do carpentering/blacksmithing to complete work orders. I have basically gotten to 39 carpentry for profit and have stared the same for smithing (which is only 19).

-Skinning and Tailoring don't have to be money sinks unless you decide to grind them out fast. Grow your own cotton, mine or survey for gems. Kill things for the skins.

-Gardening can make money easily. Even just growing potatoes and onions can be done low level and many cooking recipes use tons of these. Doing work orders levels industry so that you can have a vendor stall. Or just pay the cash and get it earlier. Alchemy does make a lot of things people need.
    This is simply false information. I can make more money over time by killing things in easy areas than I can via gardening. I've farmed 3k worth of mushrooms to sell to players in under 30 minutes. You wont get that gardening unless you could somehow have literally two of everything growing effeciently (you cant).

Tailoring and Leatherworking *were* easy to make a profit most likely when you did them. The changes that require you to buy all previous recipes pretty much kills all profit until you get to the end tier where you have a chance at making money on the back end.

-Foraging can be huge. Pick flowers, grow them and sell to players. Sell stacks of wood, mushrooms, fruit.
    -Alchemy/Mycology have a lot of recipes that make money. I've sold stacks of speed potions, smoothies, suspensions. Anything that saves someone some time.
    -Start running surveys for mining and geology. Then you can make some cash, and not have to buy gems and metals to level skills and do work orders.

The biggest thing I'd suggest is pausing as you hit 70/70 and finish buying skills. That constant drain of cash goes away and makes it easier to do lots of other things. I spend money freely on anything I need, but since I'm not leveling skills this past couple of weeks, my bank account went up by 300k.

The game has a huge amount of things that make you money. This can be dependent though on storage space, favor with vendors, knowing who buys what, and traveling around a bit to gather and do work orders.
    My foraging is uncapped and so is my mycology. I have a friend who runs surveys as you literally can't do everything (at first). I have looked very carefully into who buys what. I've done the math on who to give what to so that I can raise faction while losing the least money on turn ins.

You act as if I have not tried. I have done that.

As to your gear being level 50, lets look at what you said:

-You rejected getting materials and handing them to a crafter. Why? Lots of people do this.
    -You rejected going to a level 70 zone with people who have the gear already. Guess how they got their gear? Join a GK group and pick up some gear. No one cares if you aren't contributing as much dps as someone else. As long as the mobs die it's fine, and since they are elites, everyone is getting gear. It's also a good way to get the gear you need to level up trans and augmentation skills.
    Yea so where's the plate crafting again? Oh right... not in yet.

You missed my argument in that handing mats to a master crafter is essentially a carry. Let me click combine for you and save you hundreds of hours. I don't happen to have a master crafter in my back pocket.

Are you? Would you be willing to make combines for me? Probably not. If you were doing so would eat into any profits you can make because if you did them for me everyone would just come for you. No more easy 300k in your bank.

As for augmentation, I suspect you did it a long time ago. That's another completely insane money sink.

The point isn't "wah I'm having a hard time help me".

The point is.... could the developer please make a smoother transition from 50 to 70 concerning gear.

I'm in a guild and it was active 2 weeks ago. Suddenly it seems like the high levels quit for a while. I have a pretty good idea why.

I appreciate the input Kaz, but it just isn't that easy even farming the gasluk caves for loot (sometimes mid combat).

I don't feel that logging in to claim 24 hour chests and then logging out as "fun".

Update on my level.... 74/71. I think I am missing 2 skills for completion. But the problem is that without 70 gear with the "right" mods I may as well have level 30 skills in terms of damage.
    Last edited by Golliathe; 06-05-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    I'm a level 69 BC/Mentalist and I have most of the skill I actually use updated. For me that was a major accomplishment but at the same time something feels wrong with advancement.

But I can't make any gear or modify it; from what I can tell those professions are 99% money sinks until you get to the top level of creation. I don't have a cheese business so I can't really seem to make much money. But I do profit from people wanting to make cheese and that is really my only source of steady income. Something seems woefully wrong that the only way I can begin to afford anything is by making 3 extra characters and handing them bottles to sell milk (125 milks with bottle exchange=25k). And while I do make some decent money on the side via industry it isn't much advancement because I have to buy all the recipes to make the things they want (stools, crates, chairs.etc). The only reason I got to 50 alchemy was because I found two recipes that I could use to gain skill for profit by buying/farming mats and selling the profit to npcs. That being said alchemy is worthless because it doesn't make things people need to advance (just occasional combines for quest turn in).

If feels wrong that I have pretty much all level 50 gear or lower. The continual feel of the game is:

1. Get to new area, farm everything but the bosses
    2. Find carries for the bosses until you have appropriate level drops [let me clarify this point a bit - have someone who is way beyond this dungeon solo the boss for you so that you can get a drop that is your level by beating a boss you would never beat until you were geared from those bosses.]
    3. Farm boss repeatedly on rotation/cooldown (goto #1 )

The problem here is that there is an inordinate shift in cost of training beyond 50 with no real shift in gear payouts (own a cheese factory or gtfo). Translation: lvls 50-70 means time spent grinding mobs beneath your level. That too feels wrong. The level of wrong continues as there is no real way to get lvl 70 gear aside from getting carried in dungeons by people who have it or if you know a guy who can craft and you provide mats.

I realize this is a work in progress but I think the current flow of the game is way off in terms of progression. At the end of the day you must give players hope that they can advance when they play. Remove that element and they don't play your game in favor of something else. They also need to have some way of advancing alone which currently does not feel feasible.

Overall I completely disagree with the current design choice that skills w/o gear are nearly completely worthless & insanely expensive. I could probably live with very cheap skills that are worthless w/o gear. But I think the game would be smoother if gear didn't account for massive increases in skill advancement.

Realistically this translates to: oh that piece of gear doesn't have the 50% dmg modifier I need? Trash. I realize augment/transmutation can address this somewhat but I can't afford that process right now (gotta get him to soulmates basically).

I want to close by saying that I have enjoyed the game for what it is but I would love to see some economy reworks. As a whole it feels way too harsh needing to bribe everyone with a king's ransom so I can learn to tie my shoelaces.
    Its not hard to make money it just takes time and there is alternatives to cheese if you look on the wiki all you need is a good meal and if you dont like cooking level gourmet till you can go to ilmari and buy a piece of Selaxi bread for 600 gold almost as good as edams cheese like only a few points like 10 of power or health but yeah I get what you mean I've noticed people charging 2-3-4k for grascot and thats way over the top but supply and demand I make my own cheese and always end up giving out when I do dungeon runs like gazkeep I ration it out alot cuz Im a penny pincher but still this game is still managable also theres guild credits you can hoard and buy money pouches that will give 10k worth of free cash per 20 credits which is able to be obtained by completing just 1 guild quest

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    The money you get from skinning (which is only at 55 with +10 skill knife) and butchering is very small.
    If the 200k+ you can get per week via skinning is "very small", then you have a spending problem. Or maybe it's just me. I'd love to give you more suggestions but I think I could only recommend things below the poverty line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, skinning alone got me through bard 51+ (and all the stupid associated skill requirements - friggin poetry is expensive,) ment 51+, psych 51+, foraging 51+, and getting alchemy from 1-50, as well as most of the combat skill upgrades up to my current level (high 50's/low 60's.) And that was just doing decent or worse skins from the eltibule bear area. From what I gather of the cost structure, it's supposed to take more time. It's not supposed to be a linear time investment from 1-70.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Actually, i do free combines for anyone and don't charge. I've made dozens of sets of leather armor for people. Some from guild, some from people asking in chat. I also sell the same thing on my vendor. I don't see it as losing money by doing free combines. It's just a few clicks at a tanning rack.

-I started playing 3 months ago, and just finished augmentation and trans. So no, i didn't do it a long time ago.

-It certainly sounds like "wah I'm having a hard time".

-You complain about crap gear and no money, then shit all over every suggestion, and say you make more than that. So which is it? You make a ton of money, or you don't?

-I was screwing around in Kur last night. Made 50k foraging/skinning/butchering, In an hour, when really what i was doing was looking for graves for corpse talking. All the things i told you, that you then rebutted as "not true" I can do every single day.

But whatever. You don't want help, you just want to complain.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was screwing around in Kur last night. Made 50k foraging/skinning/butchering, In an hour, when really what i was doing was looking for graves for corpse talking. All the things i told you, that you then rebutted as "not true" I can do every single day.

But whatever. You don't want help, you just want to complain.
    If I want to run around in Kur I do so with my fire skillset, which at 50. I don't have any gear for that set (my gear for it is 35-45 sitting in the bank).

You have forgotten the perspective of a new player who is locked in lvl 50 gear. It's easy to make money farming things that are a joke (my comment about the mushroom farming being more lucrative than gardening). you of course took that comment to mean that I can always sell those mushrooms at the price. I have with a regular buyer who occasionally needs them.

Why don't you go throw on 2 classes you have locked at 50 and go farm Kur Tower with zero skill appropriate damage boosts. It won't be fun. That's how the progression for this game feels because the bonuses from gear are something like 85% of your character's power. My proposal is that gear does too much in this game. I saw a post where someone made the comment that his skills did triple damage compared to my skills.

If you want a more everquest feel for the game then gear needs to be more like 20% and the skill of the player is the other 70% (10% would be from unlocks/bonuses/food/etc). Something feels wrong to me at least when the base skill does 200 damage and the gear changes that to 1200 damage.

You also seem to feel friend that I should work up leatherworking; so then I can't afford to sell them right? See the inherent problem? You're at a point in the game where you have no real costs. You seem to be out of touch remembering what it was like when you make 20k but you still have 50k worth of things to buy. And then you have to donate 10k just to be able to spend the remaining 30k worth of unlocks.

If you are willing to make people gear that's super awesome. But I'd like to be able to get some degree of realistic advancement with my time played. That really isn't a thing. And while there is a big difference between raid gear and the next best thing from a lesser boss rare drop the player has to feel like he has a chance at reasonable advancement.

I argue that isn't really the case now. Armor drops become yellow or gtfo. Does it have all the modifiers you need for that part? If not it is vendor trash. As a work in progress this game is an interesting idea but not a complete thought.

I don't feel this game is viable as a concept if the achievement of max tier gear is basically carry me or gtfo.

In one sense you remind me of this guy who told me I should brew beer as a low lvl noob to make money. At that point in time 9k was a vast fortune the likes of which I had never seen. He didn't mention you had to be an animal to get faction with the suspicious cow to begin to get what you needed to brew. Nor did he think about how I would have been able to get the wood pieces for brewing either (or the smithing to make the barrels). From his point of view it was easy money because he had everything required to make it work. He didn't even think to ask if I had the faction required to talk to the brewing npc!

Thread Footer