Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErDrick View Post
    Speaking of the cost issue though, some input from first time players would be pretty helpful to determine if this ( money) is as big of a problem as I think it is... I know it is to some of the other veterans I have talked to about it. In most games though, your money would be going towards upgrading your gear instead of unlocking skills so...this game is in a strange place as far as that goes, and I could be completely off the mark.
    Someone called for a noob?

While there seem to be a few new players that may not have much general MMO knowledge/experience, I think the first thing newcomers to Serbule do is find an NPC to unload their inventory on... Asking whether there is a vendor on Anagoge is pretty common, as is "How do I get back to the island to get all my stuff out of that chest?"

Marna's Used tab shows evidence of this as well, and then we get the questions about weekly spending limits and people learn to increase favor and spread their loot out among appropriate vendors. The game already provides hints in this regard, but just as they are already familiar with the concept of stockpiling money, they are used to not reading what NPCs say

I may be guilty of not getting a hint myself, but it seems like the NPC Work Order Board requires someone to just stumble upon it, way out north of town, and that's a great way to earn some money if you are willing to learn the crafting skills required. I did this for a while, and didn't mind having to learn some carpentry, gardening and cooking to earn some cash, and it didn't take long to understand how the rotation works.

While the game's lack of "hand-holding" is admirable, the community generally steps in to thoroughly explain to those that ask a question in Global that they should focus more on favor and less on cash at first, how vendors and storage work, how to get back to the island, how to find the More Info tab on items, where to look for stuff they need, how to access the wiki.... part of me thinks the game is still holding hands, but since its the community doing it, I suppose that community-building is the point of the game not providing that information

In my case, once the Work Orders I could easily fill ran out, I was pretty close to being able to farm cotton, so I grew enough flowers to get there so I could start filling Player Work Orders to make cash... By far my first level 50 skill was foraging, followed by gardening, so I realize I don't play like most people I suppose, but I haven't had a huge problem finding ways to make money so far

The thought of farming up a several million councils though... Sheesh
    @Escwine and I are probably going to start setting up a store on the weekends though, so I've been stockpiling some valuable stuff and we may turn a fair profit that way... I'm sure as I progress into Kur and Rahu other sources of councils will become available as well

TL;DR - So far so good for this noob

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodane View Post
    I typed out a nice, long response to the question of the cost of unlocking higher level skills, but the internet went out when I hit submit =\

Short version: I'm reaching the part of the game where I'll have to be unlocking 61+ pretty soon. I'm bard 57/ psych 50/ ment 48 right now, and I just don't see the point in grinding money for hours to unlock 61+ yet. Being higher level doesn't really change the game. I don't get more options, just harder versions of the same options. I get the same enjoyment out of murdering piles of goblins that I get from murdering piles of anything else, and I can murder piles of goblins just fine with my L50 skills. Most of what I find enjoyable about this game can be done at pretty much any level. The only incentives to killing stuff and leveling up past 50 is to get the ability to kill more stuff and level up more. There's no land ownership. There's no political offices to run for. There's no interesting game functionality which unlocks at higher levels in combat skills, so right now, it's really not a good investment relative to the amount of work it requires. I say this from the perspective of a relatively casual player - my play time is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 hours a week, mostly on Saturday.

Said another way, I don't think I'd enjoy the game more at level 70 because I'd just be doing the same things, but I'd have to sink 20 hours of grinding into just gathering money.
    It's unfortunately true, the game peaks at 50 in many cases currently. Some of the fault can be found in the mechanics (they feel very repetitive for any given skill line), some fault can be found in the wicked forced council grind (the 51-60 unlock is annoying, the 61-70 unlock is a kick in the nuts and all the abilities you will need to buy and/or research along the way are simply soul-crushing), some of the fault is on zone design (sub 50, you're mostly able to walk around outside of dungeons without worrying about maintaining body heat or hydration levels) and some of the fault simply rests on polish (sub 50 content has been in game longer, and correspondingly has more polish and variation).

There are a few things that have been more fun for me past 50 than prior, however. Messing about with transmutation and augmentation has been enjoyable, but the cost to do so is prohibitively high for some (both in time and councils). Some of the group dungeons are fun (I'm not sure they're more enjoyable than Serbule Crypt for it's level, however), and have interesting verticality. They're also pretty punishing for bad or even slightly sub-adequate pick up groups and nearly impossible to solo in.

Perhaps the thing I found most enjoyable about post level 50 content, however, was AE farming places like Kur Tower and the Wolf Cave for councils and phlog/augs. There was something satisfying about building out a skill and equipment set to accomplish that efficiently. Keeping this post apropos to the thread, however, that's been severely nerfed during the last major update.

Always remember, however, that sometimes the only winning move is not to play.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eventually your friends unlock 61+ to see new hunting grounds. That's their incentive (and you will want to follow).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The money seem daunting at first, especially if you are trying to concentrate on just one thing like leveling combat skills. People say they feel they are being punished. And they are but.....They are the ones punishing themselves. Sounds harsh, but if you ignore all of the game except leveling combat it means you will hit an expensive part of the game very early without a lot of ways to make money. The same will happen if you pick any tradeskill and decide you are going to max it out quickly. Or foraging, corpse talking, cheesemaking, flower arrangement, nature, poetry, etc etc etc.

If you take time off from leveling combat and explore a bit, gather a lot, do work orders, and broaden your base of skills, then the money flows in and you have a way to pay for things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowe View Post
    some fault can be found in the wicked forced council grind (the 51-60 unlock is annoying, the 61-70 unlock is a kick in the nuts and all the abilities you will need to buy and/or research along the way are simply soul-crushing)
    It's only going to get worse, higher skills being huge exp/time/moneysinks is done by design, so it becomes incredibly impractical to be a master of everything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raviollius View Post
    It's only going to get worse, higher skills being huge exp/time/moneysinks is done by design, so it becomes incredibly impractical to be a master of everything.
    If that is the intention, I'm at peace with that.

Quote Originally Posted by snowe View Post
    Always remember, however, that sometimes the only winning move is not to play.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That saying references War Games, in which the stakes were a bit greater than paying a little extra fake/free money to fight at a higher level and keep playing the game... but y'know, your call

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say that I really like Priest but I wanted to float an idea, I think we should give it a small heal as an alternate combat refresh you can learn for it.
    Nothing crazy just 75 health on a 5-6 second cooldown or something like that.Thinking in terms of a BC pet's healing injection kind of level of healing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preechr View Post
    That saying references War Games, in which the stakes were a bit greater than paying a little extra fake/free money to fight at a higher level and keep playing the game... but y'know, your call
    The lesson of War Games wasn't about the stakes of nuclear war, but the futility of a challenge which can't be won. As I'm sure you recall, that lesson was taught to WOPR by making it play itself in Tic-Tac-Toe repeatedly - and I doubt anyone would argue the stakes of Tic-Tac-Toe are on par with Global Thermal Nuclear War.

Cited in response to a comment from someone who has found gameplay repetitive by level 50 and questions the enjoyment of advancing further, or in response to seeming enthusiasm for even more onerous future grind being added to the game... the reference seems apropos.

...but hey, a Buddy Christ finger point for getting the reference!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of discussion in chat lately about how bad it will be to raise skills to 80, 90, 100+. Almost every discussion focuses on the increased costs. But those skill increases won't come without higher level content. Which will bring higher levels of money we can earn. Work orders will give more. Skins will sell for more. Higher value items will be forageable. I expect that it will take longer to go from 70 to 80 than from 60 to 70. Which is consistant with pretty much every other game i've every played.

Thread Footer