Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gazluk Keep feedback

I have explored Gazluk Keep (GK) with several groups since the last change (march 25th), so this is feedback with the new group size (6 max), loot rules and with pull abilities such as Hook Shot removed.

First of all, GK is in my opinion a well-designed area in term of layout, population and atmosphere. Despite some empty areas that perhaps will be populated later, and of course the fact that the way to third floor is closed off.

Elites mobs (infiltrators, tacticians, etc.) are sufficiently challenging to be difficult to solo, but doable as a duo. As you progress within GK tunnels, a third member is necessary or you won't be able to beat the respawn, and finally with 4 people in the group you can crawl through mobs and still be able to survive the occasional bad pull.

With Hook Shot and Grappling Web no longer usable as pulling tool, body pull is again the only way to bring mobs to the group. Given the design of the place, an experienced puller is required or eventually a mistake will happen, resulting in a wipe. Even then, with all the roamers it's sometimes hard to avoid pulling several mobs together. All in all, a challenging place doable with discipline and practice.

Some bosses are sufficiently difficult that a group of 4 can easily wipe to them, even with good gear, but still doable with a full group. I don't think I ever wiped in the later configuration.

Now for things that could be improved:

1. As a group-only dungeon, one might expect people to wait at entrance in the hope that someone shows up and a group can get started. However, currently entrance in GK is pretty hard to solo, and waiting outside probably doesn't work, because of respawn and because in other games I've always seen people waiting inside a dungeon, not outside.
    So my suggestion would be to populate entrance with, for instance, the same mobs as outside, or with mobs with the same RvR.

2. We noticed that one of the quadrants (NE?) on second floor has observers in it, and these mobs pretty much require a druid to be killable. At least we guess, since the last two groups I went there with either didn't have a druid or the druid did not have the proper staff to play.
    Is this area designed for some druid event? We did not see any boss there. Anyway, in the past a group of 10 was likely to have a druid in it, but it's not so true in a group of 6.

3. The result of respawn is unchanged. Respawn = you wipe, always. I haven't survived a respawn since the beginning of the year. I can understand the desire, from a game design perspective, to prevent camping an area, and sort of force groups to move all the time. But I think it's too harsh right now.
    My suggestion would be to have a respawn queue per area, with something like a five second interval. If mobs all pop together, a group has no chance, but if they spawned one at a time every five second (for instance) then the group might be able to survive it.

4. GK is huge, that means going somewhere takes time. This is OK with people like me, that can commit to play for hours. It works with groups of 6, but as time passes odds are one or more members of the group will want to take a break (they can't, remember respawn?) or stop altogether. In practice it means few groups will actually go down to the second floor and play there consistently. GK may be huge, but if groups don't have the time and commitment to reach its deepest parts, what's the point?
    (As I write this, someone just offered to start a GK group, but people declined because it's 22:30 and that's too late.)
    Suggestion: there are several possibilities depending on where the game is going:
    . Add shortcuts so that people can go quickly from point A to point B (secret passages, portals).
    . Add an ability to summon people to the group, to replace a group member that has to leave without requiring the entire group to return to zone in.
    . Add some auto-follow feature for people that need to take a short break. Probably a bad idea because it would make the game too easy to bot, I guess.

On a more general note, I would say that DPS is still king. On trash (including elite mobs), the best tactic is often to stun the mob and burn it down. Two stunners usually keep one mob stun-locked long enough (less than 10 seconds) to avoid any damage it might do. So, mobs that actually damage the group are those with long range attacks (infiltrators, mage) and those that manage a rage attack that disables all abilities (tactician). Even then, there is often little to heal. Of course a bad pull will change that, but the most effective tactic then seems to be to AoE everything hard.
    And finally, bosses are the extreme case of DPS requirement. It currently does not seem possible to keep aggro with tanking skills, so the goal of the group is to burn down the boss before it manages to wipe them. The most successful groups I've been with would do it in 30s or less, beyond that characters start to bite the dust.
    Last edited by Niph; 04-10-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The respawn and no safe zones seem both challenging and... Not actually good for players who have biological needs. o-o

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Strongly agree with points 3 and 4 and with the suggestions.

Niph is a great puller but it's something that bothered me since the start in dungeons: the holding aggro problem. The lack of something that could be called a tank who can taunt and hold aggro properly. In the GK groups I've been (after archers became obsolete as tanks) we either have Niph (utility+heals) or a swordsman who dies every few minutes religiously Imho the skillsets which are made to be tanky (cow, shield, staff) should probably have the tools to survive and hold aggro.
    At the moment it's not working, the best example is the golem in GK aggroing on me repeatedly although the only skill I used was Blocking stance (I used Blocking stance once then started running in all honesty, I have no idea why the aggro). From autopsies I'd say it's broken. My autopsies in GK fail a lot so I can't offer accurate data but I can see the mobs aggroing randomly on party members who heal or buff or use defensive skills (not GK related but I checked few manticore autopsies that confirm it).
    Last edited by Khaylara; 04-10-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm pretty good at holding aggro, but I've noticed alot of threat comes from gear, and that seems antithetical to actually surviving.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention in the positive feedback that there are some safe spots, I know at least two.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    I forgot to mention in the positive feedback that there are some safe spots, I know at least two.

When the respawn mechanics were changed a while ago I'm sure you were in winter nexus after. It was pretty horrible, about 11 mobs would respawn on top of the group while we were killing still the first wave of mobs.
    I experienced that the other day in GK, I'm not sure it's intentional or not working properly though. If the respawn mechanic is kept as it is now it kinda punishes groups that move slower (less dps based groups) along with preventing camping. Also not sure if camping is a bad thing in GK? Few small groups camping rooms where a lot of mobs spawn i mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    At the moment it's not working, the best example is the golem in GK aggroing on me repeatedly although the only skill I used was Blocking stance (I used Blocking stance once then started running in all honesty, I have no idea why the aggro). From autopsies I'd say it's broken. My autopsies in GK fail a lot so I can't offer accurate data but I can see the mobs aggroing randomly on party members who heal or buff or use defensive skills (not GK related but I checked few manticore autopsies that confirm it).
    That's because all threat right now is living in opposite world. Lowest means most targeted, and highest means never hit. You can easily see this in action by nearly killing something, and then having someone run by too close. Person that runs by will then be targeted, which if they're still running and the thing you were fighting is a fast runner, it's the most annoying thing in the world.

So if it's going in order of a list, said list is inverted, or the direction of traversal is.

As for respawns, I agree. Then again, I've probably complained about it the most. The problem is that the whole respawning system right now is a very double edged sword. On one hand, you need to be able to repopulate an area sufficiently enough so that it's not in a constant cleared state and people have something to work through. On the other hand, it kills everyone when it's on top, and that happens more than not. It's not just GK, either, as you can have it happen everywhere. We've died to it in Labs where otherwise we would never die, or solo out in the wilds because an entire area could be cleared and the entirety of it would just respawn at the same time leaving no place (or time) to run to and be safe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being Euro based I loved playing on weekends and catching USA players and other off peak people to go do labs. You would get maybe 1-2 labs during the week and maybe 2-3 at the weekend. In fact you would turn some down.

Add Gazluk and the same applied, was invited to groups or would see a server tell that a group was starting.

Since the group change, I have had zero chances to go to Gazluk. As predicted guilds now keep it to themselves as they can generally get enough people.

Maybe its as im a Euro player but my interest in the game since I finished levelling my last skill combo to 70 is now ZERO. I have no chance or at best very limited chance to get the top end gear.

Whilst the numbers are so low adding these kind of restrictions is way too painful.

Well until there is a change in the group system or more people then reluctantly I just cant play a game with no chance at getting reasonable top end gear when I am playing hardcore. I might log on for my alt occasionally but for now I have stopped playing, which is a shame as I previously have found the game addictive (I was playing every day for multiple hours) but I am now effectively with that change a second class player.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can duo entrance. Not everyone likes to just duo difficult mobs, but maybe you can find someone, and with time eventually a group of regulars might form.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Caustic if you mean hardcore player as in HC mode I don't know much about it but according to Niph it's not the best armor in game anymore.

Also something that's not just personal opinion. The GK armor is not the top tier, top quality gear. The top is still the crafted gear and when you said that you leveled your skillsets to 70 I'm assuming you mean combat skillsets. I would lvl craftskills if I'm maxed in combat skillsets, lw, carpentry, etc would yield much better results than GK farming.

Thread Footer