Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheesemaking and stomachs

I'd like to suggest the drop rate for stomachs be increased. Stomachs are worth more than 1000 councils each (due to demand). But work orders and NPCs don't pay more than 1000 councils per unit of cheese. Also, it's hard to sell cheese to other players for more than 1000 councils per unit (I mean the lower level cheeses needed to get xp). There's simply not enough money in the system for lower-skill people to buy their stomachs for cheesemaking. They "have" to farm them if they want to make cheeses.

It's very unbalanced for people actually trying to level cheesemaking. Because very few mobs drop stomachs, the wolves in Eltibule (who have a decent drop rate) are very popular. This means lower-skill players have to compete with very high skill players who need the stomachs. The high skill players come to Eltibule in their level 60/70 yellow gear, round up wolves, and just mass slaughter them. Lower skill players can't output the same kind of DPS and are shut out of farming wolves in a zone meant for their skill level when a high skill player is around.

Real animals like cows and goats/sheep have stomachs that can be used to make rennet. A logical suggestion would be to allow the sheep in Kur to have an increased stomach drop rate (slightly higher than the Eltibule wolves), which means higher-level players would have an incentive to farm in Kur and *maybe* allow lower-skill players to get their stomachs in Eltibule.

Low-skill players can use butter, sour cream, and sweet butter as those recipes don't require rennet. They all have issues. Butter gives little xp (for obvious reasons), Sour cream is a fiddly PITA (doesn't stack, needs firkins and a cave, only useful in a limited level range for cooking, doesn't sell for much), sweet butter needs sweet whey which is a by-product of cheese recipes that use stomachs (stomachs are still needed). It's very slow going depending just on those recipes.

The other craft that uses the same ingredient for low and high level recipes is tailoring (cotton). Cotton can be created through character labor (gardening). Looting stomachs is purely at the mercy of the RNG.

I know there's a lively trading market in stomachs because of the rarity. My intent by suggesting the drop rate be increased in Kur is not to bring down the cost of stomachs (or only bring it down a little), but instead to *move* the players with better combat skills to a zone which is too hard for lower-skill players. It may be that habit and "least resistance" will keep people in Eltibule.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry those players are causing trouble for low level cheesemakers. They should know the best drop rates come from wolves in wolf cave and the northern beach in Kur.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason cheese making's requirements for stomachs have given a sort of jokey 'endgame' reputation. A bit like the equally bizarre and kind of silly Poetry Appreciation is, cheese making is essentially a weird way to brag about how uber one is, to talk about the grind of CM, and how far along you are in it. The truth is it is super easy to level if you have a fuck ton of gold, as you just buy stomachs, and then level, simply wasting thousands of gold on the way. Which of course is of no consequence do to the bizarre way we are getting a cash wipe, but not a skill wipe. That fact simply encourages it.

Your suggestions are good - stomachs should be less rare or perhaps 1 stomach could be used to make 10 rennet. Whatever the solution, needing masses of stomachs is just a bit silly for the role cheese making fills in game.

Also, sorry about the high levels taking the mobs. I guess it is just a bit of a design flaw at the moment that people level 70 can farm level 25 mobs for loot. Would be better if they greyed out and became non-aggro, non-loot.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Animal Husbandry when added to the game will basically allow the farming of meat and organs, like stomachs. Once there are cattle ranchers maybe cheese making will be fairly easy. Increases to stomach drop rate would need to be toned down if that is the case. There is also the fact that all the power players just got unleashed on a new set of possible cheeses, bringing them back into the cheesemaking game with avengence. Once they power level their way thru the new stuff they will probably be less likely to use such tactics unless they see themselves solely as stomach merchants or cheesemakers. So the issue might correct itself to some degree with time. It is like a floodgate got opened with the level increase.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cratoh View Post

Your suggestions are good - stomachs should be less rare or perhaps 1 stomach could be used to make 10 rennet. Whatever the solution, needing masses of stomachs is just a bit silly for the role cheese making fills in game.

Also, sorry about the high levels taking the mobs. I guess it is just a bit of a design flaw at the moment that people level 70 can farm level 25 mobs for loot. Would be better if they greyed out and became non-aggro, non-loot.
    Thanks for the agreement . For the longer term I'd like to see plant rennent added, and/or using lemons & oranges for citric acid. Maybe citric acid could be a by-product of recipes like orange juice and that lemon peel treat.

There are a few ways to curdle cheese but changes like new kinds of rennent would be a bigger code overhaul than simply increasing the drop rates in specific mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    Once there are cattle ranchers maybe cheese making will be fairly easy. Increases to stomach drop rate would need to be toned down if that is the case.
    Cows only very rarely drop stomachs. Farming cows will not make cheesemaking any easier. In fact, if we get into farming cows like you're speculating it'll make it harder as there will be more milk supply which means people will want to make more cheese. Milk is the limiting factor in cheese production right now - you either need to multibox/alt a cow or depend on the 6 cows per hour in game. If there's an (effectively) unlimited milk supply then there will be more demand for stomachs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    There is also the fact that all the power players just got unleashed on a new set of possible cheeses, bringing them back into the cheesemaking game with avengence. Once they power level their way thru the new stuff they will probably be less likely to use such tactics unless they see themselves solely as stomach merchants or cheesemakers. So the issue might correct itself to some degree with time. It is like a floodgate got opened with the level increase.
    That's true but my concern was from before the latest few updates. I happen to be "moving out" of Eltibule and on to Kur and I wanted to write about this before I forget it. But yes, it's even more frustrating now than a week or two ago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ----------
    Last edited by chill; 04-06-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm really hoping cattle farming is more of an abstract game in itself. You get a cow and bull, you provide resources, wait time, you get new cattle and different resources. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the drop rate in game, how well you tend your herd has the impact on how much and what kind of resources you get. You should be able to be more methodical in your butchering so you got more then you would get with the quick instant butcher in the field. Hopefully the resources will stockpile while you are off line or doing other stuff in game. If I have to summon each cow in turn to milk it, I might go mad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds neat. Like you. I'm curious what animal husbandry will turn out to be. I had been thinking it would just involve breeding/raising the various pet animals (breeding and raising rats or great cats or bears or whatever other pet breeds are added later).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also would like to see improvements to cheese making, either making stomachs easier to obtain, or as mentioned making one stomach make multiple rennet, or by simply increasing the quantity of cheese that is made per attempt, even an increase to 2 pieces of cheese per attempt would make a world of difference. Although cheese making provides a great snack it is a very painful and expensive skill at this time.
    -LaRaj
    -Laraj

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ice Conjuration is a great alternative to Cheesemaking.
    Sushi making as well.
    Don't forget how wonderful Cooking is.

So many options and all are very, very great.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Thread Footer