Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread: Moon Phases
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When mushroom farming I just looked here and accounted for the day before and after the main 4 phases and have never had a problem.

*** Oh if you click on a day it shows you if it's waxing or waning crescent or gibbous.
    Last edited by Madmatx; 08-10-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    I guess I'm mis-remembering it. Here are some illuminating comments from the code. It uses a public-domain bit of code I found (and can't find online anymore, the links are dead...) that "determines the fraction of the moon's disk that is illuminated at a given time", and also tells if the moon is waxing or waning, for a given Julian date. (Presumably at midnight, but I don't really know. The formula uses a bunch of hard-coded constants that only work at the date-level.) It's based on calculations by Jean Meeus, I think this book https://www.amazon.com/Astronomical-.../dp/0943396611. I honestly don't understand any of the moon math.

Using that code, my code just divvies the dates up, assigning a moon phase to each date.

// we want the "full moon" to be EXACTLY 3 days. So we find the
    // most full day, and declare that day to be full, as well as the day
    // before and after it.
    // We do the same for the "new moon" and the two quarter-moons, also exactly 3 days.

// the dates that don't have phases yet are the "leftover" phases.
    // Their length varies between 3 and 5 days depending on the month

The "leftover" phases are WaxingCrescentMoon, WaxingGibbousMoon, WaningGibbousMoon, and WaningCrescentMoon.
    Is there any chance you'd consider wrapping that in a leap-year-aware date range loop and post the results for the next several years as a text file? Then we have an authoritative, simple answer, and all you have to do is never ever change any code that might affect it ever again, forever? What could go wrong?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    I've updated my Windows app to follow this algorithm more closely. It's still not perfect, unfortunately, by I gave my best shot.
    Thanks for continuing support with new versions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daguin View Post
    Thanks for continuing support with new versions.
    I will update mine soon as well. Right now box timers are the focus but proper phase calculation is next.

You all can use Niph's app for phase calculation in the meantime!
    🗡️Sharp knives🗡️ and 💔hurtful words💔
    YouTube: insult&stab
    Twitch: sausagejavelins

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This has a chart of the moon phase dates for a hundred years: http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/moo...es2001gmt.html

Then it's +/- 1 day around the full/new/first q/last q, and fill inbetween. Thinking about adding this to the wiki. (Would just need to do the data entry for the dates each month and a bit of #expr (math and syntax)).

Here also is some general info on why the synodic month varies (so why a simple "Seconds elapsed since some fixed time / Period of synodic month" model isn't sufficient): http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/moo...month2001.html

Edit:
    Proof of concept at
    http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/U...dbox/MoonPhase
    This should chart the PG moon phases for today and the next 3 days, until the next full moon on Oct. 31, 2020.
    Last edited by alleryn; 02-21-2021 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Link changed to the dates for GMT rather than EST as testing indicated that is what is used to determine the PG moon dates

Thread Footer