Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread: Race change?
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Race change?

Does anyone know if there are any plans to let players change race in some way when the game hits release? I've heard quite a few people who would like to know this information, so I would like to confirm if this is planned to be possible or not.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We don't plan to offer a way to change your race. You'll be able to change your appearance and sex, however.
    Last edited by Citan; 01-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am downloading the demo now and reading the forums to get up to speed. Is there info on when the additional three races will be available to choose?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are some rumors:

New races will be available on fresh created characters after game officially release
    AND (rumor) u will need do something like linked quest to unlock new race (each race separately)

Dont take this as Sure info its just rumor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    We don't plan to offer a way to change your race. You'll be able to change your appearance and sex, however.
    I know his is a very old thread but I would suggest looking into the race change. Atm my gf isn't playing since she really wants to be a different race and don't want to invest hundreds of hours into a character just to start over as soon as the race is released, losing everything. At game release imo, you should be able to change race, it would probably help to for those players that simply wait and see instead of playing the game. Personally I'd like to race change but it's not that big of a deal, for some though it is and wiping everything except skills and favor just gives her more incentive to not play the game until release since she will need to start over anyway.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it, but I never believe the 'my GF' stories, but here are my 2 cents. I believe some of the coding was made in a way where some stuff can't easily be undone. Really i'm talking about Lycan, druid and Races. As if it was purposefully made to not allow for such a change. With systems on top of systems, and Citan's (appropriate) desire for permanent changes to mean something--if this was going to happen it wouldnt happen anytime soon. My understanding it thats its like a knot of cables that isnt bothering anybody.

But pretending it was as easy as a flip of the switch: With some of the advanced race stuff, (fae, orcs, dwarfs), you've gotta unlock it and from what fae is like, you don't wan't to go into the race without a basic understanding of the game. With how Fae is, someone can push a brand new character into the fae-race, but it's really a mistake that will cause the person to struggle for a month and likely just give up. It's reasonable to expect the other races will operate in a similar fashion. Advance races start at higher levels of some basic combat skills but there are massive gaps that take some understanding of the game to fill. There were multiple threads of people saying Fae life is just too hard and now months later some people adapted but many abandoned Fae.

The OP of this thread actually totally rerolled from a human to a Rakkie. It's actually not as bad as you might think because your transmuted gear can be directly transferred. It says its attuned to characterX but really it's charaterX can re-roll it, but anyone on the account can use it. Just don't overly grind on the really hard skills people get for synergy levels, (lock picking, the rarer phrenologies, and gender studies, holistic wellness, myconic and civic pride). I'm not saying don't touch them, but don't bend over backwards to cap them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaums View Post
    I hate to say it, but I never believe the 'my GF' stories
    That is such a weird thing to say since he just said I prefer to play a dwarf xD

In any case, I get it. WoW has the same with demon hunters and death knights, you need to reach a certain level with another character to unlock that class. Doesn't mean its a good game design, since in an RPG game I feel like you should have the option to play what you want from the start without having to create a character you don't want just to unlock it. But I understand WHY if is that way.

My solution would be instead of putting a lock on that class, just display a warning in the character creation saying "warning - this race is for ADVANCED players, start at your own risk" or something of the sort.
    Or.. have the ability to race change with saving your own progress once you unlock it ingame. Just as smile said.
    And those are my two cents

In any case; I am supporting and enjoying the game and I hope to see more updates soon, but I think I will wait for the dwarves to begin my adventure!
    Last edited by yumiyumi6; 07-06-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaums View Post
    I hate to say it, but I never believe the 'my GF' stories, but here are my 2 cents. I believe some of the coding was made in a way where some stuff can't easily be undone. Really i'm talking about Lycan, druid and Races. As if it was purposefully made to not allow for such a change. With systems on top of systems, and Citan's (appropriate) desire for permanent changes to mean something--if this was going to happen it wouldnt happen anytime soon. My understanding it thats its like a knot of cables that isnt bothering anybody.

But pretending it was as easy as a flip of the switch: With some of the advanced race stuff, (fae, orcs, dwarfs), you've gotta unlock it and from what fae is like, you don't wan't to go into the race without a basic understanding of the game. With how Fae is, someone can push a brand new character into the fae-race, but it's really a mistake that will cause the person to struggle for a month and likely just give up. It's reasonable to expect the other races will operate in a similar fashion. Advance races start at higher levels of some basic combat skills but there are massive gaps that take some understanding of the game to fill. There were multiple threads of people saying Fae life is just too hard and now months later some people adapted but many abandoned Fae.

The OP of this thread actually totally rerolled from a human to a Rakkie. It's actually not as bad as you might think because your transmuted gear can be directly transferred. It says its attuned to characterX but really it's charaterX can re-roll it, but anyone on the account can use it. Just don't overly grind on the really hard skills people get for synergy levels, (lock picking, the rarer phrenologies, and gender studies, holistic wellness, myconic and civic pride). I'm not saying don't touch them, but don't bend over backwards to cap them.
    "I hate to say it, but I never believe the 'my GF' stories" Just fyi, that added nothing to the conversation and was imo a very silly thing to say, silly being a very nice way to put it lol. Either way what u said is mostly opinion of how the game should be played and experienced through races, toughness etc. I get it, I just don't agree or see a point of limiting players supporting the game from Alpha or Beta if it's indeed possible to implement race change, let the players who have been supporting the game since alpha and beta reroll after completing the quests required instead of making them have to reroll once the game actually releases the races. Gear was never the issue, it's the skills and favors.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smile_Head View Post
    Gear was never the issue, it's the skills and favors.
    I guess I'll jump in with a response to this, because I'm pretty sure that skills are one of the reasons why we won't see race changes, and will continue to see gates to unlock new races.

With the introduction of Fae, the first of the Advanced races, we now have multiple race-locked skills. These skills grant race-locked abilities and mechanics to those characters. Fae characters start in a different area than Human/Elf/Rakshasa players, and at a different level. Fae characters have access to some special quests that automatically teach them skills up to certain levels upon completion. A Fae player who completes their tutorial quests will end up with....
    - Fae-locked Fairy Magic skill
    - Fae-locked Fae (Race Skill)
    - Armor Patching 10
    - First Aid 10
    - Pathology 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Fishing 25
    - Skinning 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Butchering 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Foraging 20
    - Nature Appreciation 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Some other stuff

Throwing out conclusions isn't something I like to do, so I'll just ask a few questions instead. What happens if an Elf character switches their character to a Fae? Should their skills be reset down to the Fae levels so they can experience the content properly and give meaningful feedback? If that Elf does not have Nature Appreciation, should they be allowed to do the Fae Quest to automatically skip 30 levels of leveling? Could this be exploited by people switching to Fae for the unlocks, then switching back to another race? Do they get locked out of abilities they spent time unlocking that Fae can't use? If a Fae switches to a Human/Elf/Rakshasa, do they lose progress on their race-locked skills? What happens to the items they have in their Fae-only storage portal?
    Last edited by BetaNotus; 07-06-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaNotus View Post
    I guess I'll jump in with a response to this, because I'm pretty sure that skills are one of the reasons why we won't see race changes, and will continue to see gates to unlock new races.

With the introduction of Fae, the first of the Advanced races, we now have multiple race-locked skills. These skills grant race-locked abilities and mechanics to those characters. Fae characters start in a different area than Human/Elf/Rakshasa players, and at a different level. Fae characters have access to some special quests that automatically teach them skills up to certain levels upon completion. A Fae player who completes their tutorial quests will end up with....
    - Fae-locked Fairy Magic skill
    - Fae-locked Fae (Race Skill)
    - Armor Patching 10
    - First Aid 10
    - Pathology 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Fishing 25
    - Skinning 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Butchering 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Foraging 20
    - Nature Appreciation 15 (second quest to 30)
    - Some other stuff

Throwing out conclusions isn't something I like to do, so I'll just ask a few questions instead. What happens if an Elf character switches their character to a Fae? Should their skills be reset down to the Fae levels so they can experience the content properly and give meaningful feedback? If that Elf does not have Nature Appreciation, should they be allowed to do the Fae Quest to automatically skip 30 levels of leveling? Could this be exploited by people switching to Fae for the unlocks, then switching back to another race? Do they get locked out of abilities they spent time unlocking that Fae can't use? If a Fae switches to a Human/Elf/Rakshasa, do they lose progress on their race-locked skills? What happens to the items they have in their Fae-only storage portal?
    Interesting thoughts! Hmm.. I would guess that a fae that changed to an elf would lose their fae-locked abilities, while keeping all the not locked ones.. However, if an elf changes to a fae that is more difficult to balance.
    I don't have a perfect solution for that but it is either they do reset all skills to fae levels or they don't and you just keep every skill you had before and will have to level what is missing, OR they get only the skills that the fae unlocks through quests reset, while keeping all the other ones.
    As I would assume IF we ever get a race change option, it would either be payed or a one time change before game launch, I do not see it being exploited that way. But I would definetly say that yes, they will have to lose their earned race-locked skills if they race change, I think it would be broken otherwise.
    As for the storage.. I don't think it will be too diffucult to manage. It can be moved to another neutral storage, maybe a special NPC.

I wonder how the other races will start and what special race abilities they will have.
    Last edited by yumiyumi6; 07-07-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Footer