Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Thread: On Race Changes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Race Changes

So I was talking in the game with some people about race changes. According to them the devs said they are unlikely to make them available. I have some feedback on that.

That really sucks especially if it isn't code based because a lot of people might wanted to be a future race so had to choose between playing now a race they didn't want or waiting to play a race they did want. Starting all over just to play a new race is messed up
    I'm willing to pay like $10. So not asking for free but wanna be able to be a Fae without having to REDO everything on a new toon.
    Like even if race changes are limited. I kinda get the point but I think an exception should be made when new races are added that you could've have made your character. I know they have quite a bit more races planned.

So my plea is even if it's limited maybe with a cooldown period, or paywall or both I'd like to see race changes. Fae aren't in yet so I made an elf. But I really wanted to be a fae. I believe orc and dwarf is also on the table to be added? Project Gorgon is headed by an Indie dev team. So I hope they'll hear out my request.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaethia View Post

So my plea is even if it's limited maybe with a cooldown period, or paywall or both I'd like to see race changes. Fae aren't in yet so I made an elf. But I really wanted to be a fae. I believe orc and dwarf is also on the table to be added? Project Gorgon is headed by an Indie dev team. So I hope they'll hear out my request.
    Wanna know a secret? it's a good thing to have two characters be completely identical. Teleportation, gourmand, and a few other skills like foraging/fishing are a pain to level up again but I have seen what you can do with a clone (hint: the answer is make wagon-loads of councils).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really think the draw of alts should be the ability to abuse the work order system, nor gain easy guild points,or the removal of vendor caps, nor should it be to get around storage woes.

It should actually be because they are fun to play and you are happy to do those things again, there are a few that play alts properly but many do not myself included.

As to the main posts point I tend to agree really, but there should be no charge, assuming it's simple enough to code a race change of course.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some comments from Citan on this subject.

I'm sorry to say that a race change option isn't necessarily going to happen -- because of how race is implemented, it's not trivial to change.
    However, we can change your appearance and gender more easily, and we'll definitely have a way for existing characters to change that. (And maybe race too, depending on exactly how hard it ends up being.)
    The other two races, fairy and orc, will have racial features too, but they won't be optional. They'll just throw you into the deep end with all the racial stuff active immediately. For that reason, they won't be available to newbies -- you'll have to unlock the races by completing quests in-game."
    if you didn't participate in the Kickstarter then the way to unlock the other races is by completing quests in the game with the first three, and then making an alt using those races.
    The other three races have more difficult play styles and they aren't for novices. You will need to know how to play already in order to succeed with them.
    This has been the publicly-explained design for years, and it's not something I could change now if I wanted -- it's too late in development. But I don't want to change it: I like alts. And most MMO players like rolling alts, too. But I want my alts to play differently, so that's what the other races are: different ways to play.
    I know that lots of alpha players like doing every single skill on a single character, but I've explained over and over that that's not a reasonable thing to do in the final game -- the skill dependencies just get too broad to try to do it all at once. So when it comes time to roll an alt, the other races are variant ways to play. They aren't just cosmetic changes.
    Shieldbreaker's links are a good starting point for this topic. I can give some updates on the race development: basically, fairies are blocked by other things that need to be done first.
    Fae - We now have the needed fairy animations (just the bare-bones necessities of flying, landing, etc.), but I still need to figure out some of the systems involved in fighting-while-flying. Because it's insanely abusable atm. Fae also have a custom death system, and to integrate that into the game I need to finish changing the REGULAR player death system -- that is, changing how "Enter the Light" works, among other things. But I know that players use "Enter the Light"'s infinite-travel-back-to-Serbule feature as a fast-travel system, and I don't want to diminish that until we have other travel tools in the game. So I've been pushing on getting travel systems in. The biggest remaining one is horses -- at this point I think horses probably have to happen before fairies. And horses have their own set of bottlenecks -- the new GUI has to come online before horses, for instance. So I don't know when fairies will be ready. Their newbie area also needs lots more development, but that's fairly straightforward. (And interesting -- they have an unusual home place.)
    Orc - here we ran into problems with our plans of using Gazluk as the newbie area. Basically, I want to let new orcs run around inside Gazluk Keep -- but it can't be the REAL Gazluk Keep, because (for instance) there's valuable level 70 loot just lying around in there. I'd planned to make an alternate version of the place, with different spawns and stuff for the new orcs. But the tech to do that optimally ended up being tricky, because other technical features need to be completed first. Orcs are still likely to be the first new race to come online, though.
    Dwarf - not very far developed yet and will almost certainly be the last of the three to come online.
    Bannerholme Archivist

Thread Footer