Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any interest in a hardcore (death penalty option) and old school communication guild?

Been playing for a few weeks and I've noticed not many have hardcore option for death penalty and those who don't, at times, get annoyed with others wanting to do corpse runs. I really don't like the regular death penalty I think it takes away any sense of danger and risk. I'm wondering if there is a general interest from anyone in the community for a guild that is only for hardcore death penalty players, with an understanding and expectation that we would do everything in hardcore mode and help each other when needed for tombstone runs and so forth. Also, in general, it would be an old school vibe where there would be NO discord or voice chat. While those can be convenient and many do like them, i have seen the result over years be more fractured guilds as many people aren't talking in guild chat because they are on discord or some other voice software just talking to people there. So the idea would be none of that to foster a healthy IN-GAME guild community. Yes it would mean some things wouldn't be as convenient, but it sounds appealing to me so wondering if any others like the sound of it or not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While such an option doesn't interest me as an individual, I think it's a great idea. I'm not competitive by nature, and have never given the hardcore option a second thought. That said, I can totally understand the internal divide and conflict this can create between hardcore and regular players in a group. By requiring guild members to be hardcore (or to not be) you would effectively be solving that problem.

At first, I balked at your idea of restricting guild communication to in-game chat but I've come around to appreciating its value. Communication is too splintered and this is an absolute solution, if a bit inconvenient due to how accustomed so many have become to voice chat. Maybe PG will implement voice chat at some point, though I sincerely hope they don't take Fallout 76's approach lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack this, but I played the game hardcore from probably late '14 when I started until last week. I never realized how absolutely horrible the feature is. It adds an extremely unenjoyable experience with absolutely no benefit. I only kept it because some of the armor I still used required it. Anyway, if they introduce a reason to be Hardcore, I'm all in on going back. Until there is a benefit, negative.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The gear is so far the main benefit. You can also obtain a +5% max health buff, hardcore-only.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuing my trend of derailing OPs, I think it would be a neat idea for Hardcore guilds if the HC designation enabled PK... (in before, "That's not what PG is about!") Guild v. Guild battles which rewarded guild points would be a nice incentive...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there should be an ultra hardcore death mode, where one death, and you're finished! Char gone for good! I would use this on one character slot for fun.. lol, there could be special titles and bragging rights for people who do it and pull it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More or less jumping on the "not to hijack this thread but" train, I think the current hardcore set up isn't necessarily fun.

In the past, we had a weekend challenge for achieving the highest level without dying, and restrict options to support solo play were added shortly thereafter; the main issue with this was the limited window and lack of incentive for players to participate.

At the moment, I've got a lv 40-something bunny character that has never died, and while it was enjoyable, without that carrot on a stick it's hard to keep motivated. It was actually pretty exciting trying to explore the goblin dungeon and having to quickly log out for fear of dying.

Anyways, I'd definitely be on board for more variety / challenge modes - the issue with the game right now is everything is a matter of "when", not "if" - which is a fairly traditional MMO experience once you're past the uniqueness of Project Gorgon.

That said, there's some inherent problems with true hardcore as well - specifically, other players can cause your death (either intentionally or unintentionally) through training mobs (or if you wander into town when there's a hoard of monsters being spawned for an event). The second issue being you can simply grind low level monsters indefinitely and they still yield experience without the threat of death; they're not unsolvable issues - for example, the current instant-log out system works well if you can identify a threat before it becomes lethal, and you could limit experience growth based on notoriety - where notoriety only grows if you successfully kill a named monsters without assistance.

A-anyway, that's a bit of a tangent, but for the most part the incentive just isn't there - the hardcore mode as it stands just adds a tedious mechanic and locks a few pieces of equipment behind it.

If true hardcore ever showed up, I'd definitely be down for a guild based on that style of game-play (bonus points if you can loot corpses of perma-dead characters).
    IGN: Vzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakatau View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I played the game hardcore from probably late '14 when I started until last week. I never realized how absolutely horrible the feature is. It adds an extremely unenjoyable experience with absolutely no benefit. I only kept it because some of the armor I still used required it. Anyway, if they introduce a reason to be Hardcore, I'm all in on going back. Until there is a benefit, negative.
    I don't play it for the "benefit" even though there are a few small benefits, it's the fact that it makes things have actual consequences. There is a sense of danger and risk that, to me, doesn't exist with the normal penalty. I play it because I find it more fun and personally rewarding.

Thread Footer