Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physics Problems

When are the physics in this game going to be addressed? Like running up a 90 degree vertical incline? It really breaks the immersion in the game when you can scale impossible terrain such as alongside mountains etc... is there going to be a fix for this? If so, when?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Citan mentioned in some post that we should expect a time to come when we couldn't run up mountains. For the timing I am guessing it will be still some time away. It probably needs to be done closer to polishing work time, because it will probably require repeated tweaking of the player physics and tweaking landscape maps to ensure that there are no places where you get stuck or can't get to location you are suppose to get to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think this would be done earlier in the process of development rather than later because it can effect to a great degree the landscape and playability of maps. I foresee some zones requiring major revamps after such problems are fixed. I can think of Kur as an especially egregious offender in this regard. The teleport NPC on the ice caps is reachable only by breaking the game physics and scaling what should normally be impassable terrain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to this, has there been any word on swimming? Being in water is very awkward as things are now.
    Even further, the lack of momentum in movement. The game behaves like my character weighs 10 tons and wants to snap me to the ground very badly. The current solution for walking and running seems to be having our characters essentially be sliding on the ground.
    Last edited by Erkni; 04-07-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R and F work for up and down in the water, perhaps you have not noticed that as it's easily missed unless you get flight.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The alternative is frankly much worse: without a VERY generous physics setup, you just get stuck in the terrain all the time. This is due to Unity's worthless, worthless physics engine (which is obviously tuned for racing games and not for moving around in tiny congested spaces). It actually worked a lot better five or so years ago and then starting with "Unity 5" they shat all over themselves and everyone was constantly getting stuck everywhere, so I implemented the current workaround. I haven't looked for better workarounds in a few years and it's on my list to do, but frankly it's not at the top. I'm more concerned with synching animation to movement, that's something that can and will be improved. As for water, we'll work on it when we want to do more with it. Right now there's not a lot of underwater content and not a lot of plans for more underwater content, so there's no reason to focus development time on underwater movement.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    The alternative is frankly much worse: without a VERY generous physics setup, you just get stuck in the terrain all the time. This is due to Unity's worthless, worthless physics engine (which is obviously tuned for racing games and not for moving around in tiny congested spaces). It actually worked a lot better five or so years ago and then starting with "Unity 5" they shat all over themselves and everyone was constantly getting stuck everywhere, so I implemented the current workaround. I haven't looked for better workarounds in a few years and it's on my list to do, but frankly it's not at the top. I'm more concerned with synching animation to movement, that's something that can and will be improved. As for water, we'll work on it when we want to do more with it. Right now there's not a lot of underwater content and not a lot of plans for more underwater content, so there's no reason to focus development time on underwater movement.
    Please see Video starting 1:09 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7k7HtbTN0 regarding unity 2019 physics.
    Last edited by Aionlasting; 04-08-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aionlasting View Post
    When are the physics in this game going to be addressed? Like running up a 90 degree vertical incline? It really breaks the immersion in the game when you can scale impossible terrain such as alongside mountains etc... is there going to be a fix for this? If so, when?
    So just my 2 cents... please don't change the game like this until there are flying mounts or more than just druid to fly around.

Requiring you to fly to get from very basic places (from say wolf cave back to the city part of kur) would be super shitty. We already have the situation where something like 60% percent of players are druids or have a character that is a druid.

If this were part of the game you would see even more people be druids just so you could fly for 10 seconds to subvert the wall and then change classes.

Boring!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    So just my 2 cents... please don't change the game like this until there are flying mounts or more than just druid to fly around.

Requiring you to fly to get from very basic places (from say wolf cave back to the city part of kur) would be super shitty. We already have the situation where something like 60% percent of players are druids or have a character that is a druid.

If this were part of the game you would see even more people be druids just so you could fly for 10 seconds to subvert the wall and then change classes.

Boring!
    But doesn't this type of feeling merely support the point that many of the zones are poorly designed as is currently and will need a major revamping once the physics are properly addressed? Isn't this something then that should be done prior to launch and not afterwards? I really don't foresee flying mounts to be anywhere near launch or even sometime after considering we have yet to see even basic ground mounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aionlasting View Post
    But doesn't this type of feeling merely support the point that many of the zones are poorly designed as is currently and will need a major revamping once the physics are properly addressed? Isn't this something then that should be done prior to launch and not afterwards? I really don't foresee flying mounts to be anywhere near launch or even sometime after considering we have yet to see even basic ground mounts.
    You're right, but my concern is revamping the maps would be beyond the scope of what can be done. It being done sorta poorly from the beginning means multiplying the amount of work for yourself to fix it later. NPC placements, however the game handles enemy spawning, NPC pathing (if they walk around) would all have to be looked at again. I'm not a game dev and have no experience in Unity, so I'm not sure how large of an undertaking that may or may not be, or what it would exactly entail.

Very good point though that a better solution for the physics means a new problem occurs. Nearly impossible navigation of terrain. In the end though, Citan would have to provide the best solution he knows he can realistically pull off, within a reasonable workload and money/time investment. So it might turn out that the state of the maps and physics is how it should remain.
    Last edited by Erkni; 04-08-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Thread Footer