Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread: Map Pins
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not directly related to pins but my map is acting up, the actual map keeps....skipping. I can't find a better word, it keeps moving and i get left with blank space and a map corner. I have to keep dragging it back in its window. Idk how to explain it better

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in Kur, I had it always jump past any reasonable zooms when using mouse-scroll and had to us the slider bar. One click of mouse zoom would go from most tiny to super-zoom.

But only Kur. Weeeeird.

Glad I had the option of slider zoom ^-^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't seem to use more than 5 or 6 pins in Serbule marking POI..is this intended?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    I can't seem to use more than 5 or 6 pins in Serbule marking POI..is this intended?
    It is as intended. There are skills you can level that give you extra pins, also different kinds of pins. Just search Pins in the wiki and you can find out more.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    Yes - you can get more map pins and different map pin icons as bonuses from leveling other skills.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I know I've complained about the pins before, but this seems like a nice opportunity to do it again: I really wish the pins weren't so limited initially. I hit the pin limit myself every time I'm on a new character. I also did Serbule Hills semi-recently on a character with quite a few bonus map pins unlocked, and ran out of pins again very easily just marking non-obvious locations like mushrooms circles, control bowls, teleport pads and meditation pillars. I didn't even try to mark anything that was vaguely visible on the map on its own, like Julius Patton's farm, or stuff whose location I can probably remember, like the entrance to the spider cave.

I like the idea of leveling skills to get cool new stuff in general. A lot. But in this case - it just seems like the lack of map pins makes the in-game map less useful and forces me to use the Wiki map, so I can get all the map markings I need. I think the limited map pins are also really hard on new players that would like to explore and mark things on their own.

Maybe we could get a different number of default pins per zone, with the lower level zones getting more pins? Or some kind of formula of pins to likely places of interests to mark? Or just give us lots of pins all the time and limit the skill bonuses to different map pin icons? Not sure if that would make it too easy for the folks who use pins for surveying though...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    I know I've complained about the pins before, but this seems like a nice opportunity to do it again: I really wish the pins weren't so limited initially. I hit the pin limit myself every time I'm on a new character...
    I know we're supposed to, but I agree. I also wish there were different kinds of pins. Like, I always need a pin for some out of the way vendors and world gates, so... And when I'm surveying or doing quests I'd like a different color of temporary pins.

If we had categories of pins maybe it wouldn't be so bad? Like... Maybe the portal ones could be 'free' but blue (if you put a pin near a portal and give it a name like the portal, it could ask you if that's what you meant and then change its color) and vendor ones could come out of a different color but be harder to accidentally remove?

I dunno. But something.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can use a different color when you start surveying (with enough skill). Just set a pin, change the color/icon, remove it. Next pins will use that color and it just have to be something you don't use otherwise in the map. What's missing is perhaps a /mapclear X command to clear all pins of type X.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    You can use a different color when you start surveying (with enough skill). Just set a pin, change the color/icon, remove it. Next pins will use that color and it just have to be something you don't use otherwise in the map. What's missing is perhaps a /mapclear X command to clear all pins of type X.
    Right, but newbies don't even know it's possible, and the mechanic is so deep into surveying to be kinda pointless. By that time I know every bush on the map.

Well, did, before they changed them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I am not sure how to feel about this pin mechanic. In a game this "old skooly", a basic (maybe mandatory for some) feature such as pins should not be gated imo. I think that exploration, it its crudest sense, should have no limiting factors. Just risk/reward. Pins can serve as a reward for exploration to many. Not being able to mark areas of a map until the player levels this or completes that seems a little backwards. I mean the whole point of this game seems to be go where you like, play how you like, no limits...just have quirky fun--but we are limited to a meager amount of pins right off the bat (arguably the time in which the pins are the most necessary). Food for thought.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just noticed this thread due to recent postings, so would like to make a comment while I'm remembering it.

Have recently gotten back into surveying with my main, rerolled toon. I don't use pins for surveying since I set up the scrolls in my inventory in order before I start my run. I use the main map to locate each position and then place that scroll in its order relative to the other scrolls in my inventory. Yes, I have a system of temporary separators while I'm in this process, but it's gotten pretty efficient.

Anyway, while I'm on my run, I hardly ever need to consult the main map. I place the first scroll in my sidebar and check it as needed while looking at the mini map at the best scale. Once I collect that gem, I move the next scroll onto the sidebar and continue. Barring major distractions, I pick up the speed bonus more often than not.

Though others have expressed annoyance with the diminishing circle animation, I find it very helpful to get me started quickly in the right direction, and to give me a sense of the distance since the diameter of the circle relative to my own position marker indicates that. I hope this makes sense.

Thread Footer