Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Thread: Map Pins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Map Pins

Anybody know if they are going change the map and the pins? When i go surveying i lay down 21 pins at a time, Now it won't let me lay down a pin without inputting something in label name. I found that just a pain to do. Also if they are going to make the pins smaller, now they are huge. Lastly how about a lock button to freeze the map, every time i log on i have to resize it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put in a pin and press enter, it puts in a default name like it used to. If a pin has a blank name, it's erased.

I always put in a number when I put down map pins. If this was automated, it'd be fine. (I put down the map pins numbered in the order of the surveys in my inventory)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just asking for something we had before, it was so easy to use pin and go.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt there was nothing wrong with the old map. Right now I can't even size it to fit the box without making the map take up half of my screen. And then the pins look hideously large and pixelated.

Pins we place should start as just a generic, name-less pin on the map. Then, if we wanted, we could customize it by adding a title. 99% of the time we are placing pins it will be for surveying, the other 1% will be when making our permanent markers. Just makes sense to not force a title by default.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree, did my first surveys tonight with the new UI and its was an even more time consuming pain in the butt than it was before. Had the map fully zoomed out but pins in the bottom 10 to 20% of the map had the text disappear off the map.

My suggestion would be let the circles generated from the survey stay on the map until the player removes them and they count in your max map pins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasho View Post
    I felt there was nothing wrong with the old map. Right now I can't even size it to fit the box without making the map take up half of my screen. And then the pins look hideously large and pixelated.
    I completely agree. The map shouldn't get truncated just because the box isn't a specific (massive) size. The map should wholly fit inside the box like it did before.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The map is otherwise alot more readable, at least while you're not editing it ^-^ I really like the animated circles and pins from scrolls, they're nice.

It'd be really nice if the window size snapped to the map size. It's nice that I can make the window fit on a tiny screen or a big screen, but I really don't need to change these settings that often. Maybe have a button hang off the side to turn these controls on and off?

The map pins getting stuck to the zoom control was also a problem. I had a heck of a time erasing the pins that fell into it.

...And when I zoned, it seemed like the mini-map forgot what scale I set it at?

Oh, and I noticed rocks and buildings didn't always show on the map. I plowed into a few while navigating via map; I could see the goblin farm's ploughed field, so I pointed to go into the green rumply area I thought was forget and ran smack dab into the middle of a camp and a barn! ^-^ I suppose that's kind of a feature, in Kur it meant I really didn't know where the beach was to get out of the water, so I had to remember where it was!
    Last edited by Crissa; 12-06-2017 at 02:34 PM.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's weird, but the new map UI may be the single piece of the new UI that required the most underlying changes. Those changes opened up the way for a lot of new features, including some that haven't made it out to you yet, but it means that the new map UI is still lacking polish. For example, we can now do much higher res maps with zooming and support a proper mini-map, but the zooming doesn't quite work the way anyone would expect - it's not intuitive enough, I mean. (It doesn't help that we weren't able to get high-res versions of all of the maps in yet.) And there are plenty of bugs yet, including map pin scaling and the persistence of settings.

The map is never going to be exactly what it used to be, much as Serbule Hills is never going to be exactly the same as South Serbule was. But the goal is the same: it should have the same basic features plus more, and it should be more polished and intuitive than the old version. Oh, and it should have fewer bugs.

It's not there yet. It will get there, with your detailed and specific bug reports and feedback. We have been getting lots of those - and we really appreciate them! In-game reports are easier for us to track and manage, but we follow the discussions here on the forums closely as well.

The one thing I would ask you to do, as we move towards that, is to please not assume that we are trying to screw you up deliberately. We aren't. We want this UI to be as polished and usable as you do. As with many things about PG right now, it's a work in progress.

Edit: Ooh! You know what would be really useful for me? I would love to know how you are using the main map vs. the mini-map.
    Last edited by srand; 12-07-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love the new maps. I don't use pins for surveys, so the maps work perfectly for me the way they are. Blank names not being allowed is actually a bonus for me since that means I'm no longer accidentally placing a "Point of Interest" pin by randomly clicking somewhere. For some reason, I also find it much easier to place a pin precisely on my current location than with the old map which is a huge help when marking hard to see places.

I really like the new mini map - it allows me to figure out where I am and which direction I'm facing without obscuring my view. I still bring up the bigger map to orient myself in a zone and to place map pins for portals and other special locations.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The Great Survey Crisis 2017

I use the minimap for navigation when I have a group to meet up with.

I use the main map for surveys and to see a map in detail.

Problem: I only need to use a map to find where I am when I am in GK. But that's obviously the main function of a map or minimap.

Thread Footer