Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Project: Gorgon Experimental Linux Launcher

We are happy to announce the release of an experimental Linux Launcher for Project: Gorgon!

Download the Experimental Linux Launcher Now!

While Project: Gorgon is still not yet officially supported on the Linux platform. players have been able to play Project: Gorgon on many different distributions of Linux for quite some time. We plan on supporting Linux in the future and this is a step in that direction. Please download the launcher and try playing Project: Gorgon. Please report back here your experiences. If the launcher works, great! If it doesn't, please let us know that too. If you could also include your distribution and version number that would be helpful. Thanks for your continued patience and support!

(Edited to link to newest version of the linux launcher.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Launcher Works but if i press Play nothing happens Ubuntu 17.04

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    did a fresh install using this launcher.

no incorrect data found when validating files.

once my installation was complete and validated, I attempted twice to launch the game. This failed, but the process was ongoing in my System Monitor, even though the game hadn't launched and the Experimental Linux Launcher closed after I initiated the client launch.

So I attempted to launch the game client from .../.local/share/ProjectGorgon/HeadlessLinuxPlayer default installation directory. Once again, no visual launch, but the ProjectGorgon process was running.

Lastly, I opened the Properties of the ProjectGorgon executable file and manually designated Wine as the default program to open the file with. No luck there either.

running the latest version of Mint.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same here downloaded game tried opening it, did validate it tried safe mode nothing happens.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. Manjaro Linux.

( Doing a belated edit of my 2 posts here, to make them a bit more readable to anyone coming across them later.)
    Last edited by Tagamogi; 12-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, the ProjectGorgon executable inside the HeadlessLinuxPlayer directory is different from the ProjectGorgon executable inside shardragon's launcher's LinuxPlayer directory ( .local/games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer for me). The Headless executable is 29M, shardragon's is 30M.

Because I just had to try it, I copied shardragon's ProjectGorgon executable into the Headless directory, replacing the existing file. That allowed me to start the game directly from the Headless directory. When I then tried the new launcher, it also worked.
    Last edited by Tagamogi; 12-05-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    For what it's worth, the ProjectGorgon executable inside the HeadlessLinuxPlayer directory is different from the ProjectGorgon executable inside shardragon's launcher's LinuxPlayer directory ( .local/games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer for me). The Headless executable is 29M, shardragon's is 30M.

Because I just had to try it, I copied shardragon's ProjectGorgon executable into the Headless directory, replacing the existing file. That allowed me to start the game directly from the Headless directory. When I then tried the new launcher, it also worked.
    This was the fix for me as well. Thank you.

EDIT:
    I was able to do the same on my laptop, but the black area where the Enter World and Delete Character buttons are located seems to fill the entire screen within a few seconds while flickering and crashes. I am investigating the logs now.
    Last edited by SausageJavelins; 12-12-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: More info available

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post

ofc this cant be treated like a legit fix. all files were downloaded, presumptively, so it seems the fix is just a few lines of code that need to be corrected to make the files launch-able.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's just a temporary workaround until someone has time to fix the launcher. I've been using the launcher with the workaround for the last week now and everything been fine, so at least for me it looks like it's just this single file. Not sure what's going on with SausageJavelin's laptop, though.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sadly, the bug can't be fixed on your end, we'll need to drop a new launcher. The launcher is downloading the wrong payload -- it's a valid linux payload, but this version is optimized for use as part of our internal systems, which have graphics turned off. (Hence "headless".) So there are lots of placeholder graphics files in there.

I'll have to figure out how we mixed that up, but anyway a fixed launcher won't be hard; we'll get one out soon.

Thread Footer