Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Sadly, the bug can't be fixed on your end, we'll need to drop a new launcher. The launcher is downloading the wrong payload -- it's a valid linux payload, but this version is optimized for use as part of our internal systems, which have graphics turned off. (Hence "headless".) So there are lots of placeholder graphics files in there.

I'll have to figure out how we mixed that up, but anyway a fixed launcher won't be hard; we'll get one out soon.
    Oh hah. Everything's been looking "just fine" to me, so I think I completely failed to notice any placeholder graphics.

Thanks for working on a Linux launcher!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Behold! The ever-expanding darkness...

(I finally caught a good screen shot of the madness in action, for your collective viewing pleasure)

For the record, it does crash my computer if I let it eat up all my RAM, which it appears to do after a few seconds of flashing at the character selection screen. Grinds the entire system to a halt after 10 seconds.
    Last edited by SausageJavelins; 12-13-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any progress on the fixed Linux Launcher? After what it did to the laptop I've been rather reluctant to actually play with the headless version o.o

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shardragon's launcher should still be working. And yes, probably playing with the headless version is not a good idea - I've just been using it because I'm too lazy to switch back and I like the separate screenshots directory.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    shardragon's launcher should still be working. And yes, probably playing with the headless version is not a good idea - I've just been using it because I'm too lazy to switch back and I like the separate screenshots directory.
    The old launcher does not work for either machine, unfortunately. That is what prompted me to switch to the new launcher. But watching it nuke my laptop was somewhat unsettling as the TRIM function seemed to take a lot longer than usual after crashing, about a minute vs. 15 seconds. My assumption is that excessive swap (located on same SSD) usage was the cause, after filling up RAM with what appears to be an unbounded request for memory. I watched swap almost instantly get filled, maybe half a second to chew through it.

Yet it doesn't do that to the desktop. Both are the same OS, branch, and patch level. Weird.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Headless version is safe to use? The launcher is still broken as-is, unless I missed something important. Thanks.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Here's a new launcher. If you can try it out and let me know how it goes, I'd appreciate it:

http://client.projectgorgon.com/Proj...ncherLinux.tgz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Here's a new launcher. If you can try it out and let me know how it goes, I'd appreciate it:

http://client.projectgorgon.com/Proj...ncherLinux.tgz
    I'm running Debian 9(stretch). After starting and aborting the new launcher, I copied the files in .local/games/project-gorgon/HeadLessLinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data to .local/games/project-gorgon/LinuxPlayer/ProjectGorgon_Data to minimize downloads; after restarting the launcher, it ended up downloading 38 files in ~194MB.

The game launched successfully, thank you for this release.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried downloading the entire client in full to both machines. The desktop seems to work fine (I have not tested extensively, things simply looks normal at first glance in Serb), but the laptop has the same problem it had before with the expanding black area on the character selection screen. I made a quick video documenting the problem and put it on YouTube:

The log had a few interesting entries after logging in. This was not using the on-board Geforce 940m, rather the integrated Intel graphics. I was not able to successfully launch the game using the Bumblebee multi-GPU control utility by running the launcher through "optirun". The command is
    Code:
    optirun path/to/gorgon/launcher
    This launches the program on the discrete GPU which is what I was doing to run the game proper on the graphics card, but the launcher just disappears and the GPU turns off from lack of activity.

Here is ~/.config/unity3d/Elder Game/Project Gorgon/Player.log:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Let me know if there are any specific files or info that might be useful.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SausageJavelins; 12-17-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something tells me clouds shouldn't look like this.

Thread Footer