Quote Originally Posted by drivendawn View Post
To me p2w is buying gear or weapons or even things that give direct access to getting those items.
That would play a role in a PVP game, where gear is the central focus. It's a different case here. We have lots of inconvenient factors to combat, the whole game is based on "if you want X, then do Y first, but for that, you need Z and (insert 5 random trash items) per step". Part of this is fun, because you have to plan out your route, whereas execution sometimes isn't. Inventory management is a huge factor here, as is vendor juggling. The crafting systems are designed in a way that make you want to be self-sustaining (because of interdependence), many people here craft all their stuff themselves and have all crafts leveled or in queue for later.

In such a scenario, 5 more inventory or 10% faster plant growth or 10% bonus foraging is worth more than a better weapon or armor, because, all in all, combat is not the only big thing here.

So, when devs talk about "only convenience items", all the red flags rise at once. Not because I think this particular dev is malevolent, but because I've been burnt more than once by such talk. Where convenience ends and P2W starts is constant subject of debate.