Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, time for a dungeon duoing update for the last few weeks. I was actually at a bit of loss what to run after my last post when our skills were about in the 39-45 range - it seemed to me that that we'd already tried all the dungeons that we could reasonably do at that level and there was no particular benefit to going back, and that the next set of dungeons I could think of would be too hard for us (Borghild, Wolf Cave, Winter Nexus came to my mind). That might have been more perception than reality though. What we actually ended up doing:

Under the Hand
    We rather outleveled it at this point and were able to kill both bosses with ease. All the stuns in this dungeon felt really annoying though. I don't normally mind it soloing since I'm focused on all the lovely snails who might drop snail shells for me, but duoing when it was clear we would be able to kill the mobs easily if they'd just stop stunning us long enough to get an attack in was tedious.

I don't normally see other people in this dungeon, so I think other players might feel the same about it. It seems the dungeon could use something to attract people and make them want to come back after they kill the bosses once for notoriety.

Borghild
    Most of the dungeon felt startlingly easy compared to what I'd expected. With a bit of range from mentalism for the faces and stun from unarmed for the ghosts, we waltzed through the dungeon without problems, and handled adds and chest traps with ease. (Not "too easy", just not all that difficult. ) The bosses were another story altogether. I'm not sure if the bosses are actually too hard or if we were just unlucky since every single boss happened to be highly resistant to our main damage abilities.

We wiped on Venenae in the basement in no time at all and by the utter lack of damage we were doing to her, it was clear there was no point in retrying her even with more poison resistance.

Kiralem seemed almost possible - we did some very careful pulling to try to get him alone but always got an extra add during the fight that made it just a bit too hard for us. After wipe #2, we hooked up with a fire/druid player. With his help, we got Kiralem down pretty nicely, even with 3-4 adds in the fight. It was still a somewhat difficult fight due to the adds, and we had one player death. It felt fun, though.

Going back to Venenae, the fire/druid player nuked her down in maybe 10 seconds, while I watched open-mouthed.

Our try at the Forgotten Loading Golem went a bit less well. Neither my friend nor I could really do much damage against the golem and I at least was pretty useless against the crystals as well since I was all melee. So, I settled for trying to stun the golem as often as possible, while my friend focused on healing our lovely fire/druid dps. We got the golem down to the point where he spawned the mini golems which turned the fight from "maybe we can do this" to a wipe. Since the golem curse is incredibly annoying, our new third party member got someone from his guild to come out and annihilate the golem for us (thank you, Sims!!!).

Kur, try 2
    Not much new to say about this - we were able to do both the first floor and the graveyard nicely. We killed Gravamux in a reasonably matched fight, then wiped on the rhino tower of doom due to rhinos and, well, doom. Or possibly more rhinos.

Winter Nexus
    I had to try this but when it took us 3 attempts to get the Thorn of Decay down for the key, I had a pretty good indication of how the dungeon was going to go. And yes, we wiped several times in the first room before giving up.

( The Winter Nexus is kind of an interesting place to me. I'm up to 29 winterprizes from the Animal Nexus sitting in my bank now, and I have zero use for them since I still haven't gotten past the first intersection in the Winter Nexus. Now that the level cap is 70, are people still bothering to run this dungeon? )

Yeti Cave
    This is apparently the dungeon I should have started with when I couldn't think of a place for us to try earlier. When we finally made it out here, my friend sliced through the yetis on the first floor like butter. It felt like our usual fight involved me hopping in, getting one kick off, getting stunned, and then my friend killing both yetis on me before the stun wore off.

The second floor of the yeti cave felt really nice and challenging, though. We worked our way through the elites pretty well before dying to an unfortunate 3-pull and calling it a night.

I would like to go back to the second floor but between the yeti cave being a bit out of the way and the long way through the more boring first floor, we haven't really had an opportunity. We did go back to the cave a second time, but managed to wipe before actually getting to the fun floor. Apparently the first floor yetis are less easy when we leap into a clump of 5 of them...

Kur Tower, try 3
    With my friend's new pain bubble, we managed to one-shoot most of the rhinos and successfully ascended the rhino tower of doom. My friend reached 50 in mentalism on the way there, and promptly equipped some new 50/50 gear which I think helped a lot as well.

At the top of the tower, we were able to get Lomas by himself and managed to kill him on our first try, with my friend spamming his rage-reduction abilities and me bunny-tanking and spamming my apparently rage-increasing abilities. ( I always seem to end up with those fire dot mods on my gear. It's not on purpose. I think.)

I feel a bit like I've won the game now. Ice magic had been eluding me for a long time.

Wolf Cave
    We made two short trips out to the Wolf Cave, one before and one after Kur Tower. The first time, we just went in to chat with Malgath, and then tried going a bit further into the main cave. We managed to kill a few elites but then had problem with one or the other of us dying and not being able to get back together.

The second time, we came for Hoplology, and decided to give Timothy a try. Or two. Or five. Towards the end, I had some problems seeing Timmy since he was hiding behind our tombstones. I'm proud to say we eventually got him down, although I wouldn't care to repeat that fight for a while.

Crypt, Second Floor
    I left this one till late since I didn't really want to live with Khyrulek's curse, and I felt we'd used up our high-level player interventions in Borghild.

The second floor of the crypt was still mildly challenging for us, even with our skills in the 48-55 range. The fire sheep and snails were gratifyingly easy, but my friend ended up almost dying in the fight with Khyrulek and friends when he was battered and stunned by the rhino. I like the rooms in the crypt since they make it pretty hard to see what is in a room before starting the fight - we were definitely a bit more careless than we should have been when engaging Khyrulek, and we later got another fun surprise when charging that single super spider.

Oh - when we killed Khyrulek on the first floor, the portal to the next floor despawned before we'd finished looting everything in her room, so we had to wait around to kill her again. Not a huge deal, but it might be nice if the portal lasted a bit longer.

Future
    We are planning on resetting our levels by switching to ice magic. If we were continuing at 50+, I think we would be in another spot without that many dungeons available. We'd probably be doing yeti cave second floor for a while and turning in Maligno's skull while we are at it, and a bit of the wolf cave, but that's about all I can think of. Winter Nexus may be worth trying again in the high 50s. I have never tried Dark Chapel but I suspect we'd need a bigger group than 2.

50+ isn't necessarily a bad spot - there are always outdoor mobs too, and the Rahu desert has a nice mob density. It just feels like there are fewer dungeons around than at 30.

Money and Inventory
    If I'm tracking correctly, I have given my friend 75,000 councils in cash so far. Plus some items, but since I've been getting stuff from him too, I'll consider that an even exchange.

Since I'm not sure what exactly he has been spending the money on, I don't think I just want to say "newbie leveling is too expensive." But ... maybe? A little? I'm not sure. I know he got the level 50 unlocks for sword and foraging during the training sale weekend, but those are the main expensive items that I'm aware of. He has been doing a bit of surveying on his own and filled work orders in Serbule, Eltibule and Sun Vale. I'd guess that he's gotten all cooking recipes from Fainor which can get pretty expensive but it seems he's been mostly just focused on sword/mentalism and the necessary favor for that. On the other hand, since I've been dragging him into dungeons, he might have been leveling a bit faster and needed money more quickly than he normally would.

Inventory is continuing to work much better now that my friend is out of the newbie phase. Or maybe he spent all the money on bank slots? The main inventory delay I noticed recently was him running all the way out to Ser Arif in order to deposit the skulls he's saving for phrenology. Which may be playing the game as intended but really made me wish he'd just make a storage alt since it would be so much quicker.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very detailed feedback. Small observation, you are right, there are way less options over 50 than at 30 ish. That is most likely because for years 50 had been the cap level so there's obviously more content under 50, I think they need time to catch up on the group dungeons but for duoing under 70 the gazluk caves sound like good minidungeons to run

PS props to your friend for using the actual storage, maybe their patience will run thin at some point but still mad props for using what he has available without resorting to mules.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #13
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to drop a note saying thanks for sharing your experiences and that I look forward to reading more about your adventures!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    Very detailed feedback. Small observation, you are right, there are way less options over 50 than at 30 ish. That is most likely because for years 50 had been the cap level so there's obviously more content under 50, I think they need time to catch up on the group dungeons but for duoing under 70 the gazluk caves sound like good minidungeons to run
    Yes, I like the Gazluk caves a lot. I'd probably wait until closer to 60 to try them, although I can't remember at what level I started soloing there, so maybe the low 50s would actually be appropriate for duoing. There is definitely still lots of stuff for us to explore. I took my friend to Ilmari the first time only a couple days ago, and he hasn't been to Rahu yet.

PS props to your friend for using the actual storage, maybe their patience will run thin at some point but still mad props for using what he has available without resorting to mules.
    Yes, I rather admire it. But it also slows me down.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I might as well add another update, even if I don't have any Alharth-shaking insights. My friend and I took a longish game break, primarily due to real life reasons. When we started playing again, he decided to level up staff/shield and I decided to play ice magic/archery.

Dungeons Summary
    Our first trip was through the sewers to the crypt, made rather easier than normal by my mid-30s level archery.

With my friend's skills in the low 20s and me at 20 ice magic / 36ish archery, we then decided to take on the goblin dungeon and blew through it to our happy amazement, killing both Orloaka and Agalpa before finally wiping on Graz. On subsequent days, we kept doing the goblin dungeon over again for loot and xp, killing Graz on all the following trips, and even eventurally working our way up to The Fog. The Fog was a somewhat lengthy and difficult fight for us, as were the hallways behind him. We each died a couple times in the hallways, and couldn't really get a good foothold - the elementals to the left weren't too tough but came in crazy clumps of 4-8, and the watchers on the right were rather hard. On the plus side, I finally dinged 30 ice magic just before our final wipe there and could finally equip all the gear I'd been accumulating during our previous runs.

It feels like we were running the goblin dungeon rather earlier than intended, but I think the overall difficulty of the goblins is still just right. We had advantages from my higher level archery, plus my friend kept wearing some of his Kur Tower gear for armor bonuses.

I think I mentioned this before, but it still feels like the goblin dungeon is basically the place to spend time in order to level and get gear. The other lower level dungeons are kind of fun, but there currently isn't much incentive to do them multiple times, imo. I love the goblin dungeon, but it would be nice if there were equivalent places.

We had a bit more time to play last Saturday, and ended up doing the goblin dungeon again (skipping The Fog this time), followed by the boarded up basement, followed by a badly needed dump session in Serbule, followed by the Animal Nexus.

The boarded up basement was pretty reasonable difficulty for us, once we learned to be slightly more cautious with our pulls. We'd been aoe'ing up to 5 goblins at a time in the goblin dungeon (and sometimes more if we had some friendly adds), and trying to do a similar round-up in the basement was definitely fatal to us. Still, with a bit of caution, we cleaned up the place pretty nicely.

In the Animal Nexus, we used our favorite tank-and-aoe strategy and wiped miserably on the first pull. In seconds. Twice. We then decided that maybe our strategy could use some revision. My friend was careful to single pull the bears and I revised my spell bar to have a bit less aoe, and a bit less cold damage since oddly enough the polar bears appeared to be highly resistant to cold.
    I really like how this gave me the opportunity to play around with different abilities - frostbite is super cool and I'd been missing out on it since I was loading my bar with aoe before.

With the revised strategy, we did quite well in the Animal Nexus. We had a problem just before the final room where we got stuck in a polar bear clump with random bosses adding. We wiped and ran back a couple times before we managed to clear things enough to single pull the last boss and kill him. Our final levels were about 37/36 staff/shield and 32 ice magic / 42 archery.

Skill Comments
    During our adventures, I found myself out of power multiple times, using beachside blend + snacking bread which seems like it should have been overkill for the ability levels I was using. The problem might have been that I was focused on putting out the maximum dps possible without watching its power consumption. Now that I think about it, the power problem seemed less in the basement and in the nexus, when we were doing smaller pulls, and the credit for that likely doesn't belong to the red aster bouquet I finally remembered to use towards the end of the goblin dungeon. Still, I kind of feel that if I'm using a level 55 cooking recipe and level 30 aoe abilities, I shouldn't be running out of power?

For a two person group, tanking is working great. My friend is great at getting and holding aggro and doesn't take much damage at all (possibly due to the overpowered Kur gear, but he was holding up reasonably well in the Animal Nexus too, with a bit of first aid help from me). He also has some very crazy rage reduction abilities, and the poor polars in the Nexus never seemed able to fill up their rage bar past 10%. I think having him tank and me dps was more effective than both of us dps'ing - I'm pretty squishy, and I don't think we would have been able to do the bosses if we were both dps focused. ( I have never been in a 6-person group, so I can't compare, but for 2 and likely 3 people, having a tank appears quite worthwhile.)

I'm really enjoying ice magic. My main complaint with it that I have zero bonus levels, so it feels like I'm always lagging behind my friend who has multiple bonus levels for both staff and shield.
    Also, it seems ice magic has so many fun abilities, it's very hard to limit them to 6. That's a good problem, though.

Archery has been the dps fun I expected. Surprisingly, carrying arrows isn't as much hassle as I thought it would be (it may help that my endurance is 70) and I don't have to make new arrows all that frequently. When I do though ... well, you look up the components for the expert's reservoir arrow and tell me whether you have them all on hand. I'm not precisely unhappy with the complexity of the recipe, but I found myself thinking "well, I'm sure glad I kept a stack of this random item on an alt" multiple times on the same arrow recipe.
    It also feels like there may be 2-3 archery trainers too many. With my archery at 42 and my mangling shot at level 25, I had the nagging feeling that I must be missing something, but visiting the the 3 trainers in Serbule and the additional trainer in Sun Vale turned up nothing. Happily, searching the Wiki helped with that problem, but still ... 5 archery trainers before I'm even 50?

Anyway, long story short, duo'ing remains great fun for me and I look forward to wiping in some new places the next time we play.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my build can't even hurt the Fog and I'm approaching 50.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Yeah, my build can't even hurt the Fog and I'm approaching 50.
    The Fog seems like a fairly reasonable gate keeper to the tougher area behind him. I'm just not sure what level you are supposed to be for that area - I tried soloing it once around probably level 50-60 or maybe even higher. I was able to kill the fog pretty well with my build but the crazy spawn rate of the elementals behind the fog just overwhelmed me.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    The Fog seems like a fairly reasonable gate keeper to the tougher area behind him. I'm just not sure what level you are supposed to be for that area - I tried soloing it once around probably level 50-60 or maybe even higher. I was able to kill the fog pretty well with my build but the crazy spawn rate of the elementals behind the fog just overwhelmed me.
    Well, the level of the greens is the target level of the zone. So 30-40.

My big problem with The Fog is that it seems nearly immune to bludgeoning which as Unarmed is kinda my schtick ^-^ Sure, it can't kill me until I suffocate, but that's a long boring road!

Thread Footer