Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I do not want to dumb-down the game.

However, I would like to suggest that the current storage desks be adjusted to allow access to all qualified storage, regardless of zone, and that there be such a desk in every zone.

Players would still need to travel and gain favor to open the various storage options, but would have access to contents in whichever zone they were in. Thus, if you were in Sunvale, and needed an item stored in Ilmari, you could retrieve it from the storage desk without having to spend the time traveling back and forth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with a lot of the comments in here, especially the original poster. I know this thread is a year old, but it doesn't seem like much has changed and mounts aren't released with storage. It still feels the exact same as what's described in here. I personally find the design choice to just really only make the game more grindy, it doesn't really seem to add anything to the experience, besides a ton of micromanagement.

And I think Dibbuk made a great suggestion, simply as a small change, more of a global access on storage options so we don't have to run back and forth constantly.
    Last edited by Kelemvor; 07-26-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think literally every review I have seen of the game has mentioned some minor/major frustration with the storage and travel issues.

I have to believe this is very important. I don't think any of us want this game to be WoW or some mainstream MMO, obviously we came here for something different. But if you see the same comments in every review and from the playerbase maybe we can suggest ideas and see what you think? I want to point out some possibilities that basically support Dibbuk's suggestion as a balance but my explanation is lengthy and I draw comparisons to other gameplay. This post is mainly for the devs but leaving it in the forums cause I believe its a community issue as well. Also, I do not want this post to be interpreted as whiny. I actually would like to see change, but feel no major discomfort with the issue currently as I have maxed all my storage and my main is a cow that moves at the speed of light: so I don't spend as much time anymore being frustrated by this issue, though I know it hurts my enjoyment of the game still. My statements are for the new players and general balance and I wanted to clear that up so you know my context. So here it goes:

WARNING: long tangent that is used to draw a comparison in balancing gameplay for activity/community vs. difficulty/realism. Can cause massive brain trauma if you do not like reading lengthy explanations.

I actually started playing again actively when the market golems were released because I have always enjoyed shopping in games but with there being like 100+ stores open at once I just got tired of searching (it was fun for a few weeks). Now I can search and still often check a multitude of shops, but if I have little time I will just run searches on what I'm immediately after and that is game changing for many of us. We are able to do more real tasks now. Let's face it, people love to craft either to make money or to make equipment, consumables whatever - for themselves, or others, and its a core component of the game. This one change allowed far more actual production and gameplay and less tedium. I still appreciate a number of things about the market board and player shops, primarily realism (and it just being cute) and it really hurts auction house botters. These exist in all other MMO's I have played and its just much harder here. Basically, that change led to a balanced gameplay style of difficulty vs. actual gameplay that I think overall improved the game and what follows is an explanation of how this marketplace issue mirrors the storage/travel issues (in my opinion).

Back to the point about moving between zones and storage: I do like that we have to manage our inventory but feel that Dibbuk's suggestion would ease the pain a bit just as the golems did. I'm not having major storage issues but I am unable to multi-task with limited time because for example with my limited time I would have to run to another zone to get my cooking goods (because you literally have to make choices about what to keep and where) but then I need additional mats for another skill and I keep running in circles trying to get it all together. Even for experienced crafters, it's a tedious task. Yes, we can refine our playstyle and so on but being able to look at the storage I've unlocked in all zones or (maybe in one neighboring zone) and take items from it would allow me to multi-task and achieve a lot more while still needing to do all the work to unlock max storage and make decisions about what to keep.

Tangent ends here.

TLDR: For me the issue is a balance between enjoying the struggle the devs intended: "choosing items to keep" and being able to actually use the ones I do keep. As we progress we get stacks and stacks of items and for crafters we kind of have to have huge amounts of stuff. I mean, tailoring alone can require an obscene amount of storage to do anything with it. Same goes with surveying and whatnot. We'd still have to make choices if we had all the storage accessible from one point (the bank) but I feel like it would lead to more interactions, more actual gameplay, more crafting and economic interactions, because we wouldn't be playing "Project: Run Across Zones" to complete crafts because multiple items are used across multiple skills and it is just simply too hard to craft right now. I hope this doesn't sound whiny, cause I really enjoy my time in game and don't worry about much since the golems were added - but I can't even imagine how much more I could do with my limited playtime if I had access to more storage. We'd still go to those zones for the gameplay there but we wouldn't feel as worn down by it. Yesterday was a perfect example. I had to give up on my task because the banking/storage issues consumed all my time and then I didn't complete my task and had to log - it was not an enjoyable day in the game for me. No big deal, but I think with Dibbuk's suggestion implemented I would have completed several tasks and been able to help friends as well.

Conclusion: Please consider Dibbuk's suggestion. I think it would ease the actual ability to play the game while still causing us to make choices about what we keep.
    Edit: I just saw Kelemvor's post above mine and he sums it up in a more concise manner than I did. But I guess that means I 3rd Dibbuk's suggestion.
    Last edited by Arundel; 07-26-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Global access (NPC) storage is a novel idea, but I don't think it should be freely given. I would have to say come up with a method where a player can work up to unlocking this feature...

example: Get that next favor step beyond Soul Mates to add that NPC's storage to the global list or make a "folder" on the council storage machine.

Alternatively, that ability could be unlocked as a VIP perk if you want to take the lazy route. Perhaps VIP could allow you to pick 3 NPC storages to add to the global list or something to that effect. That way if you cancel VIP you lose them from the global list if the favor requirement is not met.
    -ADMIN- Jackencola
    -GUIDE- Rummencola

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Rumm’s suggestion to make it a paid feature

The game needs relevant reasons to interest players in any VIP subscription, and if every single review and player would like having one thing, that’s a perfect thing to charge extra for

The game is perfectly playable without it, as moving around, planning and clicking are all the basics of playing any game either way, so I think this falls a bit short of “everyone” needs this or the game is ruined and more in the realm of a matter of convenience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's happening is that people want to hoard everything to level their crafting skills themselves and not "lose" potential gains. Games like wow have even LESS storage overall, the thing is that they have stuff that is purely vendor trash. There's not many things that really are vendor trash in PG, people notice that some stuff you get from a roughly level 20 mob is used in mid-to-high level recipes too. So they want to hoard. Limited weekly vendor cash and high cost for skill past a certain point amplify the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just skimmed through most of this thread and there are a ton of great ideas here. I, too, am one who loves the game but is very frustrated trying to make my storage options work for me. I'm only a month into PG but I have spent a huge percentage of that time mindlessly grinding for favor items to unlock some of the storage items. I've got Marna to Soul Mates, unlocked Ivyn and have purchased slots with Hulon to the point where the next slot costs 1300 (still a ways to go with him). I have Sie Antry at Close Friends and have a bit further to go with her. I also have a few limited number of slots with some others in remote locations but I'm not currently using them because what's the point - I don't want to spend 30 minutes running slowly across the game world just to place, or retrieve, an item there.

I have always viewed storage and inventory management in games as one area of game mechanics where developers should avoid (to an extent) limitations and unnecessary tedium. I, like a lot of others, like to be fairly self-sufficient and in order to do so, I feel compelled to hold onto most items that I think I might need later. There are so many different items in this game - and almost everything has a use. It does not sit right with me to dump this stuff now (especially the more rare drops) when I know I am going to need it later on when I get that higher level recipe or take up the new craft 2 months from now.

I am perfectly happy to work hard to unlock storage options and capacity BUT... at the end, there needs to be AMPLE (considerably more than there is now) storage capacity and it needs to be easily accessed in one place, or preferably a handful of places nicely spread throughout the game world. I would also like to see better mechanics to allow me to sort and organize items within my storage space so that it works according to my needs not one big pool that auto-sorts.

While we are on the storage topic... why can't I withdraw a few items from a stack in my vault instead of having to withdraw the whole stack, then split it, then return it to the vault, and then drag it to the slot that I want it in? I know the game is still in development, but I hope things like this are being considered for future updates.

Thanks for the great game. Despite the aforementioned inconveniences, I am enjoying the game (when I am not focused on storage related tasks)

EDIT: One more thing.... it drives me crazy to unlock a storage vendor only to learn that I can only store items of a certain type there. One of the biggest storage centers I have is Joeh but I can only store equipment there. I have hardly any need to store equipment at this point in the game - it sits largely unused and I'd beg, plead, and grovel to be able to use that space for Alchemy or Cooking items. Those limitations seem like an unneeded limitation that only serves to frustrate. Please consider removing those restrictions - if we have unlocked it, we should be able to put what we want there. Thanks.
    Last edited by urgatorb8; 07-27-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned elsewhere(the patch notes where storage came up?)

Overall storage is quite fine. What sucks is being a newbie without having favor up with every NPC, most games have a very sizable bank and a fairly static inventory. In PG you start with a decent inventory that slowly expands and essentially no banking.

Stuff like initial council storage should be increased and marna/baroness should have more councils and offer more storage, with players directed to those NPC's.

I think the overall limitations are fine and most complaints are coming from people that want to do everything, maxing all the tradeskills themselves and that's on them but the game is currently extremely punishing towards newbies which is never a good thing.

>why can't I withdraw a few items from a stack in my vault instead of having to withdraw the whole stack, then split it, then return it to the vault, and then drag it to the slot that I want it in? I know the game is still in development, but I hope things like this are being considered for future updates.

This and a search/sort storage buttons(like the ones we have for inventory) would go a long way for managing things.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a game mechanic is frustrating to you, I think it may be helpful to take a moment to objectively look at what is going on...

All game mechanics have an intention in their design (though some may be poorly designed and some, in a beta especially, may just be unfinished,) so what is the mechanic trying to get you to do? Hint: It most likely does not exist only to frustrate or torture you

Pretty sure there are notes on loading screens that encourage new players to sell items to other players, which makes sense in terms of encouraging a healthy game economy... Maybe instead of hoarding everything, the idea is that new players limit themselves to one or two crafting skills and sell everything else so they can save up for the large chunks of cash needed to upgrade their skills and purchase higher level abilities at 50+

Of course, you don't HAVE to do that, but the more players that do the more the economy will function as planned, if this is the plan... I dunno... I'm just guessing here

If this is the plan, it makes sense to me because this creates a viable market for new players that have no money so they can sell their loot to higher level players that have an easier time making money

High level players have had the time to favor up all the NPCs so they are getting full-price on all that fat loot they are dragging out of end-game dungeons with their huge inventories and super-speed, so they have plenty of money to spend on buying up stacks of oak and cotton from poor noobs that need the money and don't have the space to store it all

IF this is the plan, newer players that try to horde everything they find and do all the crafting they can all at once are maybe over-thinking stuff and should think about letting the game do its thing...

For those that insist, sure, put a price-tag on it and lump it in with VIP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preechr View Post
    When a game mechanic is frustrating to you, I think it may be helpful to take a moment to objectively look at what is going on...

All game mechanics have an intention in their design (though some may be poorly designed and some, in a beta especially, may just be unfinished,) so what is the mechanic trying to get you to do? Hint: It most likely does not exist only to frustrate or torture you

Pretty sure there are notes on loading screens that encourage new players to sell items to other players, which makes sense in terms of encouraging a healthy game economy... Maybe instead of hoarding everything, the idea is that new players limit themselves to one or two crafting skills and sell everything else so they can save up for the large chunks of cash needed to upgrade their skills and purchase higher level abilities at 50+

Of course, you don't HAVE to do that, but the more players that do the more the economy will function as planned, if this is the plan... I dunno... I'm just guessing here

If this is the plan, it makes sense to me because this creates a viable market for new players that have no money so they can sell their loot to higher level players that have an easier time making money

High level players have had the time to favor up all the NPCs so they are getting full-price on all that fat loot they are dragging out of end-game dungeons with their huge inventories and super-speed, so they have plenty of money to spend on buying up stacks of oak and cotton from poor noobs that need the money and don't have the space to store it all

IF this is the plan, newer players that try to horde everything they find and do all the crafting they can all at once are maybe over-thinking stuff and should think about letting the game do its thing...

For those that insist, sure, put a price-tag on it and lump it in with VIP
    Look at it this way, they don't need to change their design choices. This is the biggest and most consistent complaint amongst new and veteran players alike. It effects both in different ways, new players come into a game with such limited initial storage that they're forced to drop stuff. Veteran players are forced into running back and forth in zones to use all storage, just a complete waste of time and 'grind' which isn't going to affect the economy, it's just an annoyance.

A universal banking option without constantly having to travel would be enough, a small ~15-20 slot increase for all players would be HUGE. Especially for new players where this is just a nightmare and pushes away people. Sure, this would be good for a VIP option, but I honestly think these two small changes are necessary for everyone, you don't realize how many people dislike how severely limited it is currently. I truly think there's a lack of space when new players can only kill stuff and forage for like 15 minutes before having a full inventory..

Playing the game and unlocking endurance space plus favor and pockets alleviates it drastically, but you still have this annoying micromanagement and constantly running between zones. Then if you've played a lot, the space we have is still not enough for people playing thousands of hours, when you reach that point of course you're going to do everything, because you've already done things slowly overtime, we are ultimately forced into having alts if we keep playing the game. So I think having a favor level after soul mates that veterans can work towards which gives big boosts in storage could be a good choice as well.
    Last edited by Kelemvor; 07-27-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Thread Footer