Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melee Damage vs Ranged Damage

Is there any reason to play hammer, staff or sword in this game....besides you liking the weapon? Ranged damage is higher and you can always hit agile mobs. It's hard to stay in melee range in this game. So melee weapons hit for way less damage and staying in melee range can be a challenge.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well archery has the drawback of needing to have ammo, lots of different kinds of ammo, and the ammo takes time to make and costs money. You don't have to watch your supplies with non-archery skills. Also you can't use a Shield with a bow equipped.

Each of the Range damage skills are concentrated in the fire, ice, piercing damage types, with sword and staff you can have setups for two physical types at a time. Staff piercing and crushing, sword slashing and piercing. You pair sword or staff with Shield and you add crushing to the mix. Hammer you got lots of crushing, with electrical that can be thrown in as well.

These are weak arguments against the range skills. Killing things that run from you is a pain without a ranged skill. However very few things run from you. Can't really give you a good argument to switch to a different skill. People have done charts that prove Archery is better.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use archery and sword, as I can do damage with sword that is faster than anything archery can deliver, both skills being similar levels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the mob stands there attacking you, I guess any type of damage will do. Content that is group oriented is a different story. If a mob switches targets, they will move out of range. Mobile mobs are even worse. I'm thinking Mants specifically. Maybe melee vs ranged won't be such a big deal once pathing is updated. Many things will move "in place" and by the time you attack, they are 20 meters somewhere else.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems no one has mentioned yet that most if not all melee skills offer superior taunt, making a party with a melee and a ranged character quite possibly stronger than 2 melee or 2 ranged.

I might be wrong though, i just started this game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing off and on for over 2 years and I still feel new. I am learning of the role of taunt as well. I know i have a taunt lowering skill on both my hammer and shield. I don't know that means in regard to this thread about how melee seems way weaker than ranged damage in this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late to this post... My wife and I are now around level 35s... I am using Shield/Mentalism and she uses Archery/Fire. I focus on tanking stats and use taunts, aoe, and shield attacks while using buffs and heals to keep us sustained. She stays way back and burns mobs down. On bosses she takes care of adds.

So far this works great as a pair. We found that when we both ran pure damage (gear and skills) and no taunts we are often rolling the dice on difficult mobs and one of us would often get melted.

That's my 5 cents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpygamer View Post
    A little late to this post... My wife and I are now around level 35s... I am using Shield/Mentalism and she uses Archery/Fire. I focus on tanking stats and use taunts, aoe, and shield attacks while using buffs and heals to keep us sustained. She stays way back and burns mobs down. On bosses she takes care of adds.

So far this works great as a pair. We found that when we both ran pure damage (gear and skills) and no taunts we are often rolling the dice on difficult mobs and one of us would often get melted.

That's my 5 cents.
    If you were solo most of the time, do you feel your shield and mentalism would do enough damage to kill mobs before your power ran out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We end solo'ing a fair bit for resources... I use psi power wave (you can easily stack it 2-3 times) combined with strong food keeps me up on power. You have enough single target damage (or aoe, if spawns are close) to keep moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS - Also, smoothies have strong power boost.

Thread Footer