Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Asashoryu - I like your suggestions a lot. We may need an additional mode for how the pet should behave if it itself is attacked, rather than its handler? One of my usual pet frustrations is my pet lagging a mile behind me, getting attacked by something and stopping to fight that mob, without me even being aware what is happening... Alternatively, some games code pets so that they will never get aggro from a mob unless they actively attack it first. That may not be realistic, but not having to constantly worry about odd pathing is a really nice bonus for the pet owner.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • A pet should simply ignore mobs when set to Assist. Assisting me when I attack is what this mode is for, if the pet does whatever it wants, it's useless.
    • Follow should make the pet inactive, just following me around and not fighting back in case it got face aggro somehow, so I can grab the mob off it if I want.
    • Guard is okay as is, only that in this mode, the pet needs to focus on mobs I have aggro of. 3 mobs beat on me, taunt the first, switch to the second, and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asashoryu View Post
    Some added thoughts to what the OP has already said on Animal Handling after leveling it up past 45 as a new player to PG:

Pet managment is terrible, and this is the root of most of the problems with Animal Handling for me. It's difficult to judge whether pets and Animal Handling skill line abilities are too weak, or whether itemization is poor when basic pet managemnt is so bad. To this end, I recommend replacing the current method of toggling through a rotating list of guard, assist, stay and follow with four buttons which appear in the pet GUI window itself:

Button 1: 'Attack' - When pressed, the handler's targeted enemy (if valid) is added to the pet's hate list, causing the pet to aggress. If any additional targets are aggressed in attacking the original target (adds), these are also added to the pets hate list. A pet will attack until it's hate list is empty, or it has died.
    If already aggressed, the 'Attack' command has the effect of elevating the handler's currently targeted enemy to the top of the pet's hate list (the success of this may be influenced by loyalty and/or happiness).

Button 2: 'Disengage' - When pressed, the pet's hate list is cleared (the success of this may be influenced by loyalty and/or happiness), effectively causing it to cease aggression.

Button 3: 'Follow' / 'Stay' - In it's default state, this toggle button displays the 'Follow' text. In 'Follow' mode the pet will attempt to follow its handler to the best of its ability. When clicked, the text changes to 'Stay'. In 'Stay' mode the pet will remember its current position and attempt to maintain that position when not aggressed until it returns to the 'Follow' mode. When a pet has aggressed this toggle button is greyed out, maintaining its current state. Once the pet has ceased aggression it will cease being greyed out and can be toggled once again.

Button 4: 'Assist' / 'Guard' / 'Focus' - In its default state, this toggle button displays the 'Assist' text. In 'Assist' mode the pet will add any targets attacked by its handler to its own hate list, choosing its current target from that list based on what it (the pet) currently most hates. When clicked, the text changes to 'Guard'. In 'Guard' mode the pet will behave similarly to how it behaves in 'Assist' mode, but will choose the most hated enemy on its hate list that is currently attacking its handler in preference to others (the success of this may be influenced by loyalty and/or happiness). When clicked again, the text changes to 'Focus'. In 'Focus' mode the pet will not add new targets to its hate list unless directed to by its handler's 'Attack' command (the success of this may be influenced by loyalty and/or happiness).
    This. I have suggested just 2 buttons, (pretty much attack and disengage on your list), since the devs seem to be busy and Animal Handling has needed some sort of quick fix until they decided to focus on it for a very long time. However, when the skill is finished (and the AI actually works), this is pretty close to what I'd imagine.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try rerouting your pet from one enemy to another, impossible. Even giving straight orders with the mob targeted you want your pet on, it won't turn on it unless a) pet is set to "assist" and b) attack the mob (thereby adding to the aggro you already hold and wanted to shed).

Then, sometimes your pet runs off straight into another group, chasing a mob, and there's nothing you can do but flee, because there's no way to call your pet back to you.

Thread Footer