Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Dev Notes, May 30, 2017

Recharging

After the last major update (the Serbule graphics update), I was planning to take some time off to recharge. But immediately after the update we had a mad scramble to fix lots of crashing bugs, so my break had to be delayed. But after all that, I was pretty exhausted, so I took a full week off.

I pretty much just slept and lounged around, and it was nice, but I was pretty excited to get back in the saddle this week. So let's take a look at some of the stuff going on around here.

New GUI: Not Quite Yet, But Soon

As I mentioned in the last update, Jon (the GUI programmer) has finished initial coding of the new GUI.

Now it's important to understand just how big a deal this is. The "new GUI" isn't just a new skin. It's actually a 100% rewrite of our existing user interface -- changing over from my old home-brew GUI system to the new Unity GUI system. These two systems work entirely differently. (For the technically-minded: the current one's an immediate-mode GUI and the new one is a traditional event-driven GUI.) So this involves a LOT of new code, and there's a lot of details to figure out. But the new GUI is much easier to work with and will let us add lots of new features.

Not all of those new features will be available immediately, though. In the first version, the only critical goal we have is for the new GUI to have all the functionality of the existing GUI, so we can leave the old GUI behind without losing any features. But we do already have a lot of nice quality-of-life improvements ready to go. The chat window has gotten a lot more feature-rich, and there's a bunch of new options (such as letting you see players' names over their heads). And that's just a taste of what we'll be able to add in future iterations, because we'll have a more robust framework to build on!

Sounds great, right? But when WILL it be ready? At this point we're in internal bug-fixing and polishing mode. There's a lot to do before the new GUI is ready for the real world, but I expect that we'll have it up for testing - at least on the special test server - by the end of June.

Silvonis has been spearheading the new GUI, coordinating art and code, so I'll ask him give you some more insights into it soon.

Storage Search

One of the things that I want the new GUI to do is give you better storage-management features. We've talked about this some before: managing your storage may never be the simplest thing in Project: Gorgon, but I definitely intend for it to be more manageable than it is now.

Although new storage features aren't in the initial version of the new GUI, there is still plenty of back-end functionality that's necessary for that. And since I've just finished some of that back-end work, there's no reason at all that we can't expose some of these features with good old-fashioned chat commands! Someone on the forums ("Worm"!) recently mentioned Final Fantasy IV's "/isearch" feature, so it was in the back of my head when I realized we now have the server tech to support that command, and it'll appear in the next snapshot.

The /itemsearch command (or /isearch for short) searches all your storage chests, NPC storage, and even your own carried inventory to find items with a certain word or phrase in the name.

Where did you put all the pumpkin seeds? '/isearch seed' can tell you!

Storage Desk

Another important storage feature that will eventually be in the new GUI (not the first version, but soon after) is easy access to all nearby storage. You'll run up to any storage-providing NPC (such as, say, Marna), and there will be tabs to let you interact with all the nearby storage. In Marna's case, for example, there'd also be tabs for Tadion, Joeh, Ivyn's chest, maybe Charles Thompson too. This way, you don't have to run back and forth and back and forth just to store your stuff.

Although the new GUI isn't ready yet, the server functionality is, so I don't want to keep people waiting unnecessarily. I'm working on prototyping this feature with the old GUI, using a temporary NPC shaped like a desk. For now, you run up to a desk in Hulon's shop, and you'll be able to access any of the storage in Serbule. It only works for Serbule right now (because it's a prototype), but eventually this feature will be everywhere -- and built into the interface.

The /isearch command and the storage desk are just the start. We have a slew of new item-management features planned for the future. The new GUI system will give us a lot more flexibility, and I'm excited about what we'll be able to accomplish soon!

Weather & Weather Witching

Here's something else we've been working on behind the scenes: weather. The new Serbule sky has been designed with dynamic weather in mind, and I'm working hard on getting rain and snow that has low performance impact -- that is, it doesn't kill your FPS.

Prototyping the rain in Serbule - a work in progress! Too much ground-fog and not enough visible rain. But it's getting there.

Unfortunately we can't really launch the new weather until all the outdoor areas have been renovated to use the new sky system, so it'll be a while. But I'm already working on the game mechanics, such as figuring out how NPCs react to getting wet, and determining what effects it has on monsters and items in the landscape.

And, of course, when we finally have dynamic weather, we'll be able to introduce the magic known as Weather Witching. These secretive mages live on the outskirts of society. It's very illegal to alter the weather in most countries -- Council Lands included -- and druids often hunt them down for "crimes against nature's balance", but nevertheless, weather witches still exist. They probably manage to survive all that persecution because they can fly on clouds, control lightning, and drop hailstones on their enemies. It's sort of a mixed bag, being a weather witch.

What Else?
    It's still hard to tell exactly what other features will be in the next snapshot. There's a lot of stuff that's mostly-ready-to-go, but it's blocked by some difficult and un-sexy internal issue, like new art or server code.

But we do have a lot of stuff that will show up soon. The South Serbule area is seeing major renovations to be more interesting, more pretty, and to have a lot more caves in it. That might be in the next update or the one after.

We also have some new armor shaders in the works. The current armor (and players' skin!) can look a bit "plasticy" in certain light. New shaders will really bring out a lot of detail in our armor that isn't visible right now. That might be ready for the next update, too.

I also binge-watched the Great British Bake-Off on Netflix during my week off, and now I'm planning out a cruelly detailed and intricate new Baking skill -- a sub-skill of Cooking for high-level players. (Cheese isn't the only luxury food!) Baking might be in the next update, or it might get shelved for a bit.

I don't have a lot of concrete time lines for anything yet, but I wanted to give you some insights into what we're working on back here! The pace of development has been heating up lately -- and I thought it was already going super fast, so now it's incredibly fast! You can expect a whole lot of changes in a relatively small time window, as we push to get the game ready for Steam early access. Stay tuned next week, when I'll have more solid details of what'll be in the next snapshot.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Also, the "cruel" description of the baking system comes from srand after she heard the plans. I never intentionally make cruel designs on purpose! But I want different crafting skills to fit different kinds of player personalities.

This one's not for everybody, but I think it's actually easier than, say, cheesemaking... as long as you're patient and good at timing things.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The number of difficult-to-collect ingredients that Brewing and Cheesemaking require means that I personally don't have enough patience to max them. I'm great at timing things irl, so maybe this one is for me

and I'm very excited about all of these changes! stuff we've all been looking forward to for years
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Also, the "cruel" description of the baking system comes from srand after she heard the plans. I never intentionally make cruel designs on purpose!
    ...are you sure? *points at cheese*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheesemaking hasn't been the worst, IMO. Shamanic Infusion - getting all the animal trophies for it - was worse than cheesemaking.

If baking adds more snacks (the kind that last, not the instant variety) then I am all for it. Way too few of those in game at present unless you want to make sno cones or cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks good can't wait for the new UI it will be amazing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we just need to get Eric to binge watch some show about making weapons so that we finally get weaponsmithing and bowyer added....

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xerandus View Post
    Now we just need to get Eric to binge watch some show about making weapons so that we finally get weaponsmithing and bowyer added....
    Sadly, Green Arrow just isn't doing it for us.

such as letting you see players' names over their heads
    I actually hate this features, in PvPvE games, but as it's PvE only so far, it's "fine". I also dislike it for roleplay purpose.

Some niche games have a subsystem for names. You can name your toon with its "real name", and with a "tag" or "middle name". Only the tag is visible, and only if you want. Otherwise, players have to name you, so your name may be different from player to player, but you don't see it as yourself. If a player wants to send private message like /tell or /whisper he has first to have your real name or tag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srand View Post
    Sadly, Green Arrow just isn't doing it for us.
    I can understand that. My wife and I couldn't make it through the first season.

Was the Highlander television show any good?

edit: Aha! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4680444/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Oh, and I assume one cannot be both a druid and a weather witch, correct?
    Last edited by xerandus; 05-31-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Thread Footer