Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
The trinity I think is annoying. I really prefer systems where anyone can do either role. The idea that there's someone's job just to stand there and click on other players is... Silly.
Well...I'm not expecting trinity play here (nor advocating for it) but since this sounds a bit like a comment about healing...

Healing in a trinity group is *awesome*. It's a way to play an entirely different game within the larger game. Not because you don't like the basic game, but for the challenge.

Playing as DPS or a tank, you do your thing based on what the boss and adds are doing. The boss and the adds are stupid because they're scripted.

Players might do "stupid" things (the party isn't ready and someone charges the boss screaming their name as a battle cry ). But, people are more intelligent than scripts and they do different and smarter kinds of stupid stuff. Humans are amazing and glorious in the kinds of stupid they can produce.

Healers have their own meta-game that revolves around judging the intelligent human stupidity of the other players.

* Are the other players doing what they "should" do?

* If they are, how can I most efficiently and with the least spent resources, do my part?

* If they aren't, am I capable of fixing what they've done? Should I? Can I be bothered? Am I willing to give up resources that probably won't be replaced to save the knuckleheads from themselves?

* When doing the numbers for MMO fights, the designers boost damaging attacks before healing skills. Healers are usually operating at a healing score deficit and so there's not "enough healing" without careful juggling. It takes a lot of fast thinking to handle cooldowns, mana pools, and consumables to make sure you're outputting the healing you're expected to produce while still being able to respond in the case of multiple human stupids.

It's the furthest thing from standing there clicking on other players.