Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Path of least resistance?

Hi,

So i recently picked up PG again after an extended break, and it really seems to be progressing nicely overall, however with the recent statement that the intended wipe will no longer occur, or with a significant decrease in scope, I have some questions with regards to policies.
    As players will generally always seek the path of least resistance in achieving an in-game goal, I was wondering whether certain mechanics in the game with regards to alternate characters are working as intended, or simply a result of lack of development resources/prioritization.

1. Is it the design intent that the effective money pool can be expanded through use of alternate characters?
    2. Is it the design intent that time-locks for nodes such as cows, glowing crystals, mollusks etc. are unique per character?
    3. Is it the design intent that crafting objects creation pools, such as those created through mushroom farming, brewing and cheesemaking are unique per character?

I would expect that there are a number of oppinions on this among the player-base, but the question is mainly intended for the developers/admins to try and understand where this game is headed.
    Last edited by Xilias; 01-30-2022 at 08:54 AM.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hm, I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for with this? If you're looking for a set-in-stone guiding "design principle", there isn't one. We take each situation on a case-by-case basis, and change our mind when it seems like we're doing it wrong. We tend to leave things open to cross-character assistance by default and correct that decision when needed.

For one thing, if you want a game to have broad, open systems (for instance, where you can throw arbitrary items on the ground for other people to pick up), you simply can't prevent some level of cross-character aid. And the thing is, players like doing it because it makes them feel clever. A huge part of Project: Gorgon's design is about letting players feel clever.

It only becomes a problem when players are in competition, and suddenly "multi-mule-farming" becomes a competitive requirement, and a burden on other players who don't want to bother. In cases where that happens, we can either make the resource account-limited, or we can just out-level that resource's requirement with something new. Or both.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I guess another way of answering that question is: what particular resources are you concerned about? It might be something that "solves itself" as you level -- I mean like milking cows. You can make milking mules if you want, but soon enough milk won't be the resource that's gating your progress.

But other things may be a problem and need fixing. I actually expect to make account-limiting changes to mushroom farming in the future. We can do that with other resources if it seems wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I actually expect to make account-limiting changes to mushroom farming in the future."

Well darn... And i just got done with my third alt having unlocked mushroom farming last week :'P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thank you for clarifying, that answers my questions, thank you.

Thread Footer