Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #11
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCat View Post
    I am a bit confused that guides are donning their titles and telling people in global chat not to fight George in the water.
    It's important to remember that you are currently testing Project: Gorgon as it's currently in the beta phase of development. If a guide tells players to do (or not to do) something, it could be for testing purposes or it could be done to deter people from taking advantage of an unintended game mechanic.

Just keep in mind, there's many reasons why a guide could say or do something. If you think it's something nefarious, you can send us an email at support(@) projectgorgon.com.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCat View Post
    Zuke is immune to physical, which easily cuts more skills out than being in water does. This indicates that limitations to the world boss battles are intentional, and furthers the notion that there is not any "one build fits all" path to Project Gorgon.

These fights are meant to be more dynamic than that. George is a specialty boss with a curse that is completely pointless when you fight him on land. I am actually confused that time went in to give him a boss curse at all if the intention was to never fight him in water. Surely the time taken to program a curse on George, years after his creation, was with the idea to fight him on land during his quarterly appearance for the world bosses.

You will literally get George's curse, and cure it without ever knowing you had it. Look at every other boss' curse in the event. They are made to make the fights more difficult against that boss. Fighting George in the water, while having his curse, is about as bad as Hotflash popping a 20% fire damage intake when you're immolated 2 or 3 times. Let's also throw in that George has no minions.

You don't have to like my ideas or playstyles, however when you post criticizes my opinion without furthering the discussion in a meaningful way, I'm inclined to return the favor. But hey, you might even get to cheer if I got kicked for my underwater George nuke build.
    You couldn't kill George on your own. So your idea of a fight is to drag him out in the water, make some people swim to him, get a curse, and not be able to get to him anymore because of the curse? Doesn't sound like a great strategy. Sounds like a way to much up the encounter. Similar to grabbing all of claudia's minions and dragging them back to the group.

These events already had a lot of complaining: Too few people, too many people, people dragging mobs to the raids, waiting time, fae death problems....no need to make George a worse fight by dragging him off into the water.
    Last edited by Mikhaila; 12-07-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time they ran this event I was in my 50s-60s skill wise and they didn't have portals to take you to the next event. I remember missing bosses and unable to get to Zuke. You would actually respawn at the regular respawn spots and have to run back to the boss if you died. If the boss died before you got there, you were SOL. I remember getting SOOOOO pissed being stuck with a curse or missing a boss because they died while I was schlepping back to the fight. After the first event I was determined to not let that happen again. I created a speed build and even learned Priest to ignore stuns (I had zuke curse). The next world boss invasion I was much more prepared and I got a lot more loot (still missed a few due to deaths) and I felt SO accomplished. I was so proud of how I was able to problem solve and participate in the full event. However, when they first launched the World Bosses they didnt have the event tokens or rewards for completing each world boss 3 times so I didnt really care if I missed a boss.

I am not saying this as a "back in the day so stop complaining" anecdote but rather giving some perspective and evolution of the event. Sometimes things seem over the top frustrating in the moment but problem solving the issue can also be really rewarding. For example, maybe some groups need to communicate with each other more and approach bosses with more tactics. I remember one event Zuke didnt even die, players just waited for the next go around to attack him haha.

With that said, nothing is perfect and Citan is always looking for ways to make things better (like when the portals where implemented). I do feel like the faces of death are a little over the top. Kiting them is a solution but then it turns into watching a couple players kite while waiting for claudia to spawn. I also think that the hornets spawn a little too fast and their aggro needs tweaking. I would also like a "world timer" countdown for each boss spawn in the quest window or a lore recipe that you could learn to tell you when they will respawn. Finally, give meaningful loot on the adds. This way killing the massive amounts of adds feels rewarding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re-spawn time suggestion from me:

- Empusa 240 min (4h)
    - George 235 min (3h 55min)
    - Chievos, 230 min (3h 50min)
    - Claudia. 220 min (3h40 min)
    - Zuke. 210 min (3h30 min)
    - Hotfeather. 210 min (3h30min)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just throwing out a suggestion that I think might be worth a long term investment:

How about having a new map dedicated to world events? That way instead of having to worry about moving players around maps, worrying about deaths, awkward enemies and placement, loading screens, map lag, etc, It can all happen in one single map. When the world event starts, portals that teleport players to said map can appear in towns, so that way people can hop in easily. It would also make it easier for players to join in late, or for fairy players to rejoin after death if there's a portal in the Fae Realm town.

The map in question could be pretty simple, basically just serving as a giant arena to fight the bosses in, but it could have specialized areas to match certain bosses (Ex. There could be a watery section for bosses like George). Since this is all on one map however, it might be a good idea to separate the bosses in a way where you can't pull all of them at once, or have them spawn in order (Ex. George only spawns after Empusa is defeated).

I understand that respawn times for the bosses are kind of a problem, but if the bosses are restricted to their own map and schedule then it makes the issue a lot simpler. My suggestion would be to have the portals that teleport players to the boss arena appear in towns on a strict schedule (Ex. Every 3 or 4 hours). Then the bosses can respawn only when said portals appear, meaning that it doesn't matter how late the last group killed a boss, they'll repsawn on the same schedule. An alternative would be to give players a limited amount of time in the area (Ex. 1 hour) before being forced out and then have the boss respawn timer be the same amount of time, meaning they'll be available once the next wave starts.

The reason why I say this could be a good investment is that said map could also be multipurpose, and could be used for other events as well if needed. A giant open space could be useful for all sorts of silly events and parties and would be perfect for brewing up some creative ideas.
    Last edited by Yaffy; 12-08-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't do this event this year because of the time investment needed to complete it (3 times...UGH!), the scheduling, and because of my own lack of interest in it.

I do remember enjoying one part last year, the Zuke fight, when Mbaums was able to keep most of the aggro and I could keep him healed/buffed. The anatomy on the trash mobs was nice too! That type of organization seems difficult/annoying in PG in large groups. You almost have to have a group prepared ahead of time with a strategy and hope others will follow it.

Yaffy's idea for a map seems ideal.

Even with a new map, I would far prefer the summoning method for bosses, as used in the Halloween event, with a party size group of players. It's difficult to feel like you have contributed anything to these boss fights because they are a bit chaotic and large scale. For me, the fun in any fight in PG in the ability to contribute to its success. A small group addresses that problem. The downside is a less epic fight with the same old set up of 6 people in a party. However, the event would be something that can be completed on people's own time. People won't have to keep track of timers on discord or follow any kind of schedule. Would it be possible to double the size of parties in the new map idea? A party of 12 would make things feel a bit more epic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont mind the bosses as they are today - they require teamwork and a little more than simply pushing buttons. The game is already easy enough as is, no need to dumb down events.
    My biggest gripe is with the endless waiting for bosses to spawn. I would strongly be in favor of fixed spawn times no matter how fast the group before you managed to kill it. Especially since in this beta, with certain timezones having little to no players around, its already hard enough to get any group going.

And not related to this event but in general, i would be strongly in favor of getting rid of any forced waiting, like:
    - waiting for nightfall to be able to hand in work orders in fae realm
    - waiting for the right trade to finally be able to get sand dollars in sun vale
    I mean, i already did the hard work of aquiring the items by trade or crafting, no need to have me wait for another 30 mins......It will make me want to go read a book or simply log out, and that cant be what you are aiming for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts on the World Boss Event:

It's fun. It's chaotic, but it's supposed to be chaotic.

The boss timers is annoying. There's always some group that takes forever on one boss and then the rest of us have to drum our fingers for 20 minutes waiting. It would seem to make more sense to just spawn the bosses on a schedule all 5 minutes apart. It gets worse and worse as the weekend goes on, plus the well geared players tend to finish early in the weekend and don't want to risk the curse towards the end.

The curses are too intense for an event that may pick up level 20-30 characters. We had a wipe on Hot Flash and people in spider web gear got cursed. That would be incredibly frustrating and as Minor Panaceas are pretty rare, they are pretty expensive. You can't even go kill the boss for many of them because they are specific to the World Boss event. There should be some mechanism to get uncursed in the weeks afterwards that requires either community support or less money.

We had some well run fights towards the end that were absolutely incredible. Especially the last Hot Flash, it was a marginal group and we ran a big risk taking on a tough boss with no cure in sight for the curse if we failed. It was a victory that was barely eeked out and it was a lot of fun. What made those last runs great was a mostly well managed group that didn't wander from the portal in Fae Realm. Once somebody drags in the Guardian Wasps, it's a kill fest even before Hot Flash shows up. That last victory was quite a thrill.

That brings up another point though - it shouldn't be possible for one player's actions to make it terrible for the whole group. That opens the door to griefing. Now I know this game gives us problems that require social solutions - name and shame is about the only solution there is to being intentionally griefed on a world boss. Plus at times new players just make an honest mistake because they don't see the messages, it's unfair to put a new player in the sort of situation that gets everyone pissed at them. If the game gets bigger and more people participate, it's just going to up the odds that one person finds it funny to bring death on the whole group.

So I'm fine with the dynamic of dying a lot and Guardian Wasps and Claudia's Minons killing people, but maybe make it wait until the boss spawns at least? Putting the bosses on fixed timers would reduce the amount of time spent waiting which would help with this issue.

Anyways for the rest of us - strategy. Honestly it would be best to just keep the entire group for both Claudia and Hot Flash at the portal in and tell everyone to just wait there for the boss. If the bees get pulled on Hot Flash, just wait on the other side of the portal until the pullers bring Hot Flash in. We did Claudia once with no heads and Hot Flash twice with no bees until Hot Flash was pulled and it makes things easier.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's some good criticism here particularly on the timer. I like Vish's idea of shorter timers on the later bosses as a solution and I think the idea of multi-layer fights like the random invasions could be a fun element though not necessary on an already long event. I also think mbaums OP idea of one boss every x hours and a different boss each time could be fun, b/c particularly as we get further into development with more zones I think the format will become a bit unsustainable.

I sat this one out in part b/c its over an hour a run which is just a little too long esp. when a lot of that time is waiting for claudia to spawn. This also came on the tail of a very event heavy November and I'm not sure such an intensive event fits well late into a calendar like this. Though speeding it up with altered timers could change my mind on that. I also don't know if I would put it so close to Gobblejack event since thematically they're quite similar. Gobblejack runs on the same timer, is a world boss fight worth doing 3 times (per char), and opens up with an infinite enemies fight. The issue of putting them side by side is GJ is so quick and straight forward that it makes the WB event feel very drawn out by comparison. Alternatively the last time this event came through I feel like I hadn't been a part of a community event for a while and I did it 3 runs happily.

I think the current pain points are Zuke and Claudia for opposite reasons. The zuke fight can go incredibly fast and involves two load screens so you gotta hustle. That stress of "will I get the credit I need or will slow loading lock me out" even if its unlikely to happen pulls me out of the event. The claudia fight with the faces of death (though a fun fight when its happening) ends up dragging on so that there tends to be a large amount of down time in the desert waiting for her to respawn from the previous fight.

I do still like the event though, I like the chaos, the whole server coming together, newer players getting jettisoned to areas they won't end up exploring for a long time and interesting boss fights. As the world gets bigger one thing I might suggest is having different "circuits" so in the spring we might fight Empus, Ciervos, Hotflash, and some new boss and in the Winter it could be George, Claudia, and some new bosses. That would also keep the runs a little shorter while making it feel fresher as it repeats throughout the year.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Empusa probably does demand a longer fight. Possibly her first 30 seconds she can take only 25% of the damage done? No One should have trouble targeting her since it's just one boss. Hit tab and shoot something. It can be a bit challenging for an all melee build though, to get through a large scrum.

Some people do have bad zoning times. CC has a known issue, for whatever reason, and it does take him and a few other people time to zone. (But how did you miss HF?The portal stays up an hour and it's long, long fight.

Too much loot I'll argue is just poor planning. You know how much you can get if you take all gems. Unload before bosses start.

The adds are problems on two fights: Claudia and HF. You can avoid a lot of the problems by simply avoiding the adds. On Claudia, don't run up the hill, and stay away until Claudia spawns. On HF, die and stay in town until HF spawns. If having difficulty tagging a boss with melee, load a ranged skill no matter how lame. I've used Cold Ball with one character. And if you die after that, you can usually reload skills before the boss dies.

I expect that as we get more optimization done, there will be less need to turn down graphics. People with bad computers and connections will still have problems with that many people, but I expect things to get better. I don't see a hell of a lot that can be done about this by the programmers just to fix an event. We just have to live with it, it's beta.

Thread Footer