Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread: Fishing Ideas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishing Ideas

Hello there my fellow Gorgon's, I'm here because I'd like everyone's answer. Would you guys like to see Fishing Pole's/Tackle added to the game? I enjoy the game thus far, but going into the water and catching Fish by hand seems impractical and immersion breaking. So I have my concerns and how to possibly improve on an already great game!

So I enjoy fishing a lot since you get a lot of benefit out of it. My issue is with "how" you fish. Running into the water with full platemail on and just grabbing a fish seems very strange to me. So my idea was we come up with something else perhaps.

1. Fishing Poles, these should be crafted and have different tiers based on your fishing level. The different types of rods you can make should also depend on Carpentry Levels. I feel it would be a better addition than just going into the water, swimming awkwardly and trying to nab a fish.

2. Nets, I feel these should be made for catching Crabs mostly or any other hard shell creature. The different kinds of nets you could make should also be based on Tailoring/Textile Levels.

3. Spear Fishing, another thought I had in my head today. Spear fishing to catch larger species of animal out there, perhaps in the future if we ever get sea fishing/boating? I'm fairly new to the game, so I don't know much "as of yet" so my idea here could sink or swim.

4. Bait Box, to give more immersion, why not give the addition of a bait box using different baits for different fish. Would be fun. This could be completely optional.

- I'ma gonna get'cha!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On the fence about this one. We have gear fishing in the form of ice fishing already. I'd have to play new fishing forms to see what I think of them. I think standing on shore with a pole or spear and getting a fish that weren't already there to grab is completely wrong. A crab trap that you bait and set out and you come back an hour later and get crab of maybe lobster sounds okay to me.

I do like the idea of bringing stuff to an NPC with a fishing theme as quest items, bait, poles, string, material for nets. And maybe reward with fish as a result. Or you complete the quest, you unlock a once a week Hang Out, the Hang Out is the NPC takes you out on their boat and you bring back a random haul of fish based on your fishing skill and how long the hang out is. Your favor level would determine which lengths of Hang Out available.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noooo, not jump the shark!

I seriously hate fishing. Always. Any game.

Lots of games do fishing well, for those who enjoy it. Just like lots of games do pvp really well. For now, Project: Gorgon doesn't need to get all fishy any more than it needs to develop pvp. Some things shouldn't be complicated! I like that I just jump in and grab the fish. Simply looting the fish is fine. And I like the passive ice fishing traps that we have.

Your ideas are good ones--but since there are limited development resources, there are things far more interesting and important than fishing that need work, from my perspective. For example, the focus of getting ready for steam. And fleshing out the already existing ideas. The game has been in development a long time--it would be great if we could see some of the things the developer has in mind.

The minute a game introduces serious fishing....it's a classic "jump the shark" move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE
    Last edited by Greyfyn; 02-23-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    On the fence about this one. We have gear fishing in the form of ice fishing already. I'd have to play new fishing forms to see what I think of them. I think standing on shore with a pole or spear and getting a fish that weren't already there to grab is completely wrong. A crab trap that you bait and set out and you come back an hour later and get crab of maybe lobster sounds okay to me.

I do like the idea of bringing stuff to an NPC with a fishing theme as quest items, bait, poles, string, material for nets. And maybe reward with fish as a result. Or you complete the quest, you unlock a once a week Hang Out, the Hang Out is the NPC takes you out on their boat and you bring back a random haul of fish based on your fishing skill and how long the hang out is. Your favor level would determine which lengths of Hang Out available.
    Ooooh. I like this!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with OP about fishing, seems theres a load of content to make it much more interesting. but I can def see Greys point, limited resources so what are front burner issues VS back burner issues. will be keeping an eye out for this skill to see if it gets changed at all though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually enjoy catching the fish but I would not mind a fishing pole or fishing gear as long as it is not going to take more inventory space. I say this as I already find I don't have enough inventory space for what I'd like to do in game and adding yet another thing to take up space would make the game less fun for me overall.

So I love fishing either way but I don't want more inventory space taken up with gear so if the gear could be stored on my person somehow or if they make bags bigger then it would be ok.

For now as Inventory management stands I'd have to say no :/
    ~~Sparkle~~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    So I enjoy fishing a lot since you get a lot of benefit out of it. My issue is with "how" you fish. Running into the water with full platemail on and just grabbing a fish seems very strange to me. So my idea was we come up with something else perhaps.
    I'd like to build off the Hangouts code to be able to fish while offline. Drop rates could be similar to fishing gear. It wouldn't have to be a lot of fish. Yes, people would use alts, but they can do that already with fishing gear.

The hangout would be to go out in a fishing boat for 'x' hours.

There could be some sort of token to trade to the boat vendors. So the fishing couldn't be done without burning resources (in the way that fishing gear needs string/bait/saws). You could even accept fishing gear as the token for the vendor.

To keep people from doing it endlessly, say that the boats only accept renters once a day or week (whatever the rate is).

We have at least two docks in game (Serbule and Rahu) so it fits into multiple maps with different kinds of fish.

Eventually, we could have different kinds of offline resource gathering that work on the same basic code.

It's just a rough idea: use the Hangouts code, create hangouts for resource gathering at different lengths of time with different payouts, spend some resources to use it, and go.

This isn't really relevant to "realistic" fishing while online, but it's realistic and it gets you fish .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eachna View Post
    I'd like to build off the Hangouts code to be able to fish while offline. Drop rates could be similar to fishing gear. It wouldn't have to be a lot of fish. Yes, people would use alts, but they can do that already with fishing gear.

The hangout would be to go out in a fishing boat for 'x' hours.

There could be some sort of token to trade to the boat vendors. So the fishing couldn't be done without burning resources (in the way that fishing gear needs string/bait/saws). You could even accept fishing gear as the token for the vendor.

To keep people from doing it endlessly, say that the boats only accept renters once a day or week (whatever the rate is).

We have at least two docks in game (Serbule and Rahu) so it fits into multiple maps with different kinds of fish.

Eventually, we could have different kinds of offline resource gathering that work on the same basic code.

It's just a rough idea: use the Hangouts code, create hangouts for resource gathering at different lengths of time with different payouts, spend some resources to use it, and go.

This isn't really relevant to "realistic" fishing while online, but it's realistic and it gets you fish .
    they already have this in ice fishing just so you know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PG is building a world.

Why shouldn't fishing be something that a player can choose as a livelihood?

When this game does takes off, fighting over a few fish in a mote is going to be stressful for some.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Keep the fish snatching from water sources as it is, but add the poles, bait, tackle, nets, etc. for those that would use them.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that fishing in PG is about searching for the fish. From the hand-grab to the spear and net, fishing is an active thing. Half of fishing is finding where the fish hang out, like looking in holes and rocks, interface layers in lakes and seas, currents and tides. I love that difference from the standard pole-and-wait method and hope it stays active.

Thread Footer