Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilton View Post
    Lastly I'm hurt that you haven't commented on my idea on consuming beads/baubles/ornaments/contraptions to upgrade the level of items.... I personally would put all my other ideas down as "too hard, not worth the effort" but I would love to have the ability to upgrade a lower item level to level 80, with matching stats.
    Oh well in the case of an upgrade system to increase the level of a lower level item I'm all up for it existing, but maybe not in the way you suggested. Upgrading lower level items into higher level ones is neat, but your system might be too easy to do. Outside of augmentation being tricky to acquire for brand-new players, it sounds like leveling players would just keep one good piece of equipment they got early on and then just upgrade it as they level, rather than picking up new gear. Collecting 100 beads is a lot easier than finding new yellow pieces. It's important that players will want to continue picking up new gear, because that's a big part of the fun with the game.

I feel the same way about upgrading rarity as well. It could be neat, but it might be a bit too easy to use. 1000-1500+ phlog is a much steeper price to be fair , but I'm not sure if it's the best way to go about such a system if combined with the ability to upgrade levels as well.

So basically what I'm saying is that a level upgrade system would be neat, but I don't agree and I am unsure with the method/cost that you're proposing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've enjoyed almost all of the halloween event and how it makes you go and meet new NPCs and start working on their favor, try new professions, etc. I did not, however, like the Monsters and Mantids quest. I don't like that it encourages you to gamble away a bunch of councils or tickets, how slim of a chance you have to succeed for the quest, or the fact that it's by a long shot the true boss of the halloween event. It many times harder to achieve this, IMO, than Heart 1-5 and going into this, I thought that would be the 'big one'.

If your goal was to make the M&M sub quest be the big final boss of halloween, it should perhaps have more emphasis on the story leading up to it. I read all the dialogue and the fact that you get a special title for Westley and his really simple quest, it feels pretty strange that the really challenging one doesn't have something special on its own. At least not that I've heard about, I haven't gotten a win yet!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really dislike having to win Monsters and Mantids be part of this quest. It blocks you from finishing what feels like a major part of the event. I've dumped several hours into the game, but I don't enjoy playing it, and it seems like just pure like as to how far you get. There is certainly some skill in your decisions, but it seems like even if you play perfectly, it's still random on whether you get the right skills, or get a hat, or don't get a couple of bad rolls in a row.

I found myself hating it, and didn't want to log into PG at all. Finally decided to just give up on Halloween and go play PG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think the M&M quest is awful, I feel compelled to try it every year and always log out frustrated. It should definitely not block the main quest as if you are unlucky you will probably run out of time before the event ends.

There should be an alternate solution to the quest such as bribing the game master to fake a game, or getting a good score in match 3 which is slightly less of a RNG hell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Played for a fair while now, so can't comment on much gone before.

But I will say I have always felt game needs a way to raise lvl of items.
    Mainly because at base they all have different mods and often the one of most use to you is 20 lvls back or so. I also feel it would add much greater diversity to how folks look rather than most lvl 70 players in that dungeons drops and then the 80 in those etc.

It could be as simple as a transmutation costing a fair bit that lvl's item and mods, but I'd also add that every time you raise it's lvl 10, one mod at random would remain at previous lvl, therefore still giving the item a limit but overall increasing it's usability range by 20 or 30 lvls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

Came to share my opinions, mostly about combat

M&M quest: Agree x1000 with previous points made about the M&M quest being unfun. I'm not a fan. I don't enjoy feeling like I need to play a minigame that is optionally connected to the main game for material quest rewards/progression (especially timed seasonal ones).

Combat feedback: I agree that combat is too fast. I feel like I'm missing an understanding of how combat should be flowing, especially group content. I personally would prefer a shift towards more traditional combat roles (1 healer, 1 tank, 4 DPS/utility) for group content as I find this more fun. I don't know if this aligns with the future vision the developers/anyone else has - it would be helpful to hear a description of how others would hope a boss fight and/or tough elite fight would feel and flow. Onto my thoughts:

--- Fights as 'encounters' - In my opinion the game would benefit from having more elite+ fights that feel scripted. Wolf cave does this a bit with the wolf rooms where you have to fight 2 or 3 wolves at the same time. I feel like there's a limited number of these fights, especially at higher levels where instead we have a bunch of patrols or just a bunch of spread out enemies that can be body-pulled and fought one at a time. The preponderance of fight content that can be taken 1 enemy at a time feels like it limits how diverse the encounters could be (such as healer/support enemies) and limiting in the ways players are forced to be creative to deal with larger pulls of enemies.

--- Armor - I like this mechanic but Armor feels weird to me right now, I agree with others that it drops too fast. I would prefer to see player armor last longer (with the longer fights described already) but also be a much more valuable and rare resources to maintain/regain - notably having very limited options even for healers.

--- Actively used 'Passives' - I gave up mentalism at lv70 because I found the psi waves to be unfun. In-general I'm not a fan of abilities that require using an action to maintain a passive buff. I find requiring constant re-use of passives unfun because I have fewer choices/decisions to make now due to reduced action economy. I would prefer to be punished in some other way, maybe: damage, max armor, maximum power, power regen, etc could be reduced to maintain passive buffs.

Group content - I am hoping elites and dungeon content will be pushed towards more traditional RPG roles. This would mean most content can be cleared more easily generally with a tank, healer, and 4 dps/flex roles (flex would include things like off-tank). See below for some thoughts on what roles I imagine each role would be responsible for during group content.

--- Tanking - Core tank responsibilities would include not dying, taunting, managing aggro (like resetting aggro on a mob targeting the healer), controlling rage, and otherwise protecting allies (with limited health restoring options, which means mostly through CC's and/or redirecting damage). My ideal tank would feel like they are competing with the other players to maintain aggro from enemies. Simultaneously, the tank should also feel like they're sharing "incoming damage management" responsibilities with the healer, which saves the healer's power and reduces much rage/aggro is generate from healing.

--- Healing - Core healer roles would be restoring health, restoring power (more single target, less aoe than we currently have), using active protection abilities (think temporary HP/shields), supportive buffs (like battlechem skin or increasing DPS for a short time), and supportive debuffs (like faerie fire in D&D - an aoe that makes enemies easier to hit). Healers' power should be extremely valuable - something experienced players would keep an eye on to gauge how a fight is going. A healer should generally not be able to maintain average positive power regen in average+ difficulty content. Most healing kits/skills would have a skill set that enables healing single-tank teams (e.g., just aoe heals wouldn't work). Armor restore options would be almost non-existent with the exception of armor patching (that all players have access to). The healer should also have tools for saving DPS from having pulled too much aggro (e.g., popping a damage mitigation shield on the DPS who got aggro). A team that requires a lot of sustained healing might also cause the healer to pull aggro (especially early in a fight).

--- DPS/Utility - Core DPS/utility roles would be doing damage (of course) and accessing a diverse set of enemy-countering utility options (e.g., stun for ethereals, dots for regeneration, fear for lamias, general CC for big rage attacks, damage types for different enemy weaknesses, knockback for scorpions). In terms of damage this is pretty straight forward (responsible for killing the enemy) except that pure DPS would feel like they are working with the tank to manage aggro (e.g., not bursting too quickly on fresh enemies) and working as a team to manage overall incoming damage in order to maintain the healer's power, limit DPS the tank takes or support DPS who pulled some aggro. Cloth wearing DPS wouldn't have a ton of power issues unless fighting bosses or dealing with enemies that influence power, cloth armor in my opinion would provide little to no armor benefit.

--- Other team compositions
    I would also hope that 1 tank/1 healer doesn't have to be the only way to clear stuff. Maybe 1.5 healers and a leather armor half-tank would be sufficient too. Or potentially there are even more bizarre CC-heavy compositions that can manage damage through slows, stuns, etc.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

I'll wrap-up my post with a primer question for anyone else: How would your preferred group combat narratives play out?
    Last edited by ChompyNibblers; 11-01-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other games made Healer + Tank + anyone else the best way to play. That does not in any way mean all other games need to also have the same dynamic.

It's not "traditional", it's just what worked best in EQ and some other games. It's a way to play PG, but not required. And frankly, i'd rather forgo sitting on your ass for hours spamming "LFG" because your class wasn't in demand at that night. One of the things I love in PG is that if someone is looking for more people, and can just join, and no one is bugging me about what skills I'm using.

I think a lot of the skills in PG are interesting just because they have a mixture of abilities, some of which are quite interesting or wacky. You have to pick out of the the actions in your skill. Then decide on the mods you wan't on your gear. This lets a player look at skills, and decide the roll they want to play.
    Last edited by Mikhaila; 11-01-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm Cragstone. I've been playing a few weeks and wanted to weigh in with my opinion on tanking. The weighting in this thread and certainly the meta in the game seems to lean rather heavily in favor of Cow/UA. Personally, I much prefer the idea of a human with a hammer and a shield, call me old fashioned but it just makes more sense to me.

With that said and despite advice to the contrary I have spent most of my time focussed on building armor and hp. To facilitate this is have gone all in on Hardcore in order to pump my stats to the highest they can go. Also, I have invested as much as I can into consumables, potions, booze, boons etc.... The end result of this is close to 1900 armor and almost 1.1k hp buffed (without steroids) I'm still working on augs but I have picked up as much mitigation as possible which I rotate as part of my routine. 2x 16 slash, crush, pierce mitigation, 32% evade on shield team, etc...

So do I feel tanky? Actually, yes. Outside of GK elites, FR and WT, I am almost immune to anything except dots. This doesn't mean I can faceroll my way around, multiple mobs can still wear me down and if I don't keep up a rotation things do get messy.... and so here comes my first gripe...

There's no time for real tanking. I know this has been addressed and I know that it has even been officially stated that combat is intended to be much slower. This is something I wholeheartedly support, after all... Who needs a tank when you can press two buttons and everything is dead? This is also reciprocated in places like WT where mobs can almost do the same (yes even at nearly 2k armor, STUFF HURTS). This is by far my biggest bugbear, in my opinion it doesn't require much skill or yield much satisfaction to front load your big attacks and hope that everything is dead when the dust settles a few seconds later. This has led me to witness many situations where someone rushes in, unloads their epic and then immediately dies because (gasp) the mob had a chance to hit them back. I respect the idea that combat should be longer and so I made a build that could hopefully sustain this.

My friend and i duo in FR a lot and he plays support, we both enjoy a more traditional style where I pick stuff up, manage threat and he keeps me going. I find that I can effectively keep threat and stay alive even on the big FR elites which is kind of what I hoped I could do as a tank. We recently ran a GK run and I managed to hold aggro almost the entire way (albeit with booze), it was actually very enjoyable and one of those moments where it felt things were starting to come together.

In short, I wanted to put everything I had into mitigation tanking while having viable damage to keep threat and it kinda works. I think the armor system is good, I think the skill system is great, I don't much care for the way the meta is currently played, however. With such high damage from both sides it has become a race to the finish and because of that, tanking doesn't feel so great in high end groups. I appreciate that this is already known and discussed in far greater detail than I can add, my main suggestion is one that has already been stated, make the fights longer, make them require roles other than DPS. I mean, if a boss is going to stay up for more than a cool down refresh, then chances are people might want to watch their aggro/have a tank. I'd also say that longer fights should mean less spiky damage from mobs, this kind of rage nuking behaviour encourages the "kill em quick" meta I see here and which can only be detrimental to any intended role that isn't DPS. After all, what's the point in all that mitigation if it makes no difference end game, I mean, I can take more hits than most, but in WT that just means I can take ONE or maybe TWO more hits. At which point tanking feels a bit useless. Threat management is difficult, but this also feels like a product of the insanely overtuned DPS meta (looking at you AH, Fire mage) even so, with some consumables and zero threat gear Investment I can usually keep a boss on me, provided it is still alive after a few seconds when everyone has fired their epics.

In a lot of games there are false difficulties in regard to bosses having HUGE health pools, to the point that it feels like chopping down a tree. I don't want that here, some of the dailies are long enough as it is, I do think there could be a middle ground, however. One where a boss can survive long enough to refresh a cool down or test a rotation... Or where we aren't punished so severely by incoming damage that we are forced to go all in at the start. IF mitigation had more oomph, both in terms of more damage absorbed by players AND mobs, this would go a long way in helping to slow down combat in a meaningful way AND make tanking feel better.

I appreciate that this is 'traditional tanking' and one of the allures of this game is just how much flexibility you can achieve and how 'non-traditional' things can get. For me however, I enjoy the concept of tanking and in my eyes it is on its way to being in a good place.

TLDR: I think slowing down combat is a great idea, I like the way tanking feels but it needs some work. Not everyone wants to be an animal!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cragstone View Post
    The weighting in this thread and certainly the meta in the game seems to lean rather heavily in favor of Cow/UA.

I'm still working on augs but I have picked up as much mitigation as possible which I rotate as part of my routine. 2x 16 slash, crush, pierce mitigation, 32% evade on shield team, etc...

Not everyone wants to be an animal!
    Are you playing Cow/Unarmed or Unarmed/Shield? The mods you listed are shield mods which you can't use as a cow, so I'm a bit confused.

That said, I 100% disagree with the notion that you should be an animal to tank or that animal tanking is meta. In fact, I use cow as an example of a skill line that needs help with its design because it offers very little in the way of defense for end game elites despite being intended as a tank skill. Unarmed is incredibly good for tanking and one of the few viable options for sure, but you don't need to be an animal for that.
    Last edited by Yaffy; 11-02-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heavily agree with Cragstone. Just wanted to add that in order to fix the issue where you can feel tanky vs solo mobs but not elites, flat mitigation could just have different values against elites. Keep it where it is for solo mobs, then have it doubled (or whatever number) against elites. Also part of it is just that death doesn't mean much outside of full wipes or playing hardcore/fairy. Revives are cheap, especially with tether and it's normally easy to run back anyway.

Cow is not meta however, it has great taunt, but only flat physical mitigation basically, which is ok for gk, but the moment you get to wintertide you get absolutely destroyed by the cold, fire and darkness damage there. Unarmed is the only tanking skill which provides enough % mitigation from darkness, physical, etc. although it has holes in its elemental defence (as it should). You can't use shield as a cow as well, which is normally the skill used for elemental defence because of elemental ward. It is incredibly cooldown based though, just like staff and there isn't really a good skill in the game for elemental defence at all. What ends up happening is you get the % mitigation from items such as old crusty's shield, hunter's breastplate etc. and meditations. You can also build evasion, but you still need mitigation to go with it because of rng, and the moment you get stunned you're dead because being stunned disables evasion.

Thread Footer