Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on the game

Hey, everyone! Been playing for two/three weeks, and have had a blast. Project Gorgon has a distinct Might and Magic 6 vibe, which for me is very good!

The website advertised an immersive experience, and by far, the most immersive aspect of the game for me has been the depth and interconnected-ness of the skills. I feel very small compared to how many of them there are, and what it will take to learn them.

Here's some more detailed feedback:

Upsides

- Very little to no RNG in combat. This is huge for me!
    - Timed potion/food bonuses don't run out while I'm offline (I wouldn't have appreciated this, except I played Wurm Online, where they do).
    - The in-game humor (I love seeing the undead say "Not again!" when I kill them!)
    - Very flexible control configurations: I found them clunky at first, but was able to get a configuration that works well for me.
    - EXP bonuses for doing something for the first time: I really like this! (Again, see Wurm Online's grinding system for a contrast!)
    - Curses for dying to a boss: very cool.

Downsides

- Consistently high lag in places with many avatars (generally Serbule town/market)
    - Inventory management hell. I just want to keep everything I can pick up.
    - Nearly every skill is NPC-gated, which means many fetch quests.
    - Dungeon mob respawn is such that I find I can't solo a dungeon where I can handily kill one or two mobs at a time, but no more. I've backed off to doing dungeons where I overmatch crowds, which is fun, but not the same feel as being in a dangerous place, wondering what lurks around the next corner. Having a nasty mob respawn on top of you while you're dealing with the next one is no fun, and pretty much kills that kind of exploration.
    - This is more of a wish, but recipes are static: there's no exploration of ingredient combination. (Think Might and Magic 6's potion system, or even Morrowind's ridiculously unrestricted system!)

Perhaps the biggest downside, however, is the combination of RNG-gated loot (crafted or otherwise) and severe shortage of storage. I just quit playing a game that had the same problem (Wolcen), and what that does is strangle my desire to try out multiple builds, because I only have space/time to support one build.

If endgame is nothing more than getting better gear to defeat a bigger monster, and the ability to experiment with different builds is gated behind layers of RNG, knowing myself, I probably won't stick around to try very many combinations.

But, based on how deep the skill tree is and how much fun I'm having, I think I still have a ways to go, and whatever else may happen in my approach to endgame, I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with a lot of what you wrote. Wanted to add a couple of comments:
    - This is more of a wish, but recipes are static: there's no exploration of ingredient combination. (Think Might and Magic 6's potion system, or even Morrowind's ridiculously unrestricted system!)
    Take a look at brewing. That kind of breaks the mold a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roccandil View Post
    Perhaps the biggest downside, however, is the combination of RNG-gated loot (crafted or otherwise) and severe shortage of storage.
    This is somewhat alleviated once you get enough favor with enough NPCs. You will end up with a pretty huge amount of storage (and i'm a hoarder). And some of that storage is exclusive to equipment, leaving you with space for multiple sets in storage (though of course it isn't infinite and you would run out after some number of combinations).

Between the equipment-only storage (Tyler Green) and out-of-the-way storage that is really only useful as long term storage (stuff like lawara, the crypt chest, the crystal cavern chest, Sir Arif) you can probably fit close to 100 items so maybe 12 sets or so, without encroaching on your "main" and "medium-term" storage.
    Last edited by alleryn; 04-08-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Thread Footer