Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Thread: Staff crafting

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Staff crafting

It's something in the carpentry recipes that seems wrong but I'm not sure which part is intentional or if it's a bug.

So there are 2 types of staves that can be crafted with carpentry, combat staff and melee staff (different recipes).
    Melee staves-No matter what gems are used in crafting the melee staves are unsuitable for magic (fire and ice magic abilities cannot be used with a melee staff) and they have a staff level requirement on them. All good, it makes sense that a melee staff would require staff expertise to wield.

Combat staves-these are the magic ones, used to shoot spells mainly. More expensive to craft (needing extra materials) and suitable for fire/ice mages. The problem is on some of them I also get a staff level requirement. I crafted few Great combat staves to check (the level 60 combat staves both max enchant and enchanted) and I got mine (a fire+psychology max enchanted staff) without any staff level requirement. I crafted few more Great enchanted combat staves using random gems (topaz and garnet) and those came out with a level 40 staff requirement on them. The only difference I can see is that one is a max enchanted combat staff, the others just Great enchanted combat staves. I don't understand why one would require staff expertise and the other not, if anyone has any idea on how this works I'd appreciate a reply.
    In case it's just an unintentional feature could we please have the staff requirement removed from combat staves alltogether? Since they're practically oversized wands used by mages, staff expertise doesn't make a lot of sense.

Edit - I crafted few more, max enchanted and enchanted and all except the one i'm using have the level 40 staff requirement. One is triple skill and legacy but the rest are normal and all require level 40 staff. The crafts were done on Khaylara for log checks if needed.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 02-16-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my attempts at crafting Great Melee and Combat staves has resulted in a lvl 40 Staff prerequisite, as well as a lvl 40 Hammer requirement for the new Club recipes. From what I've seen in game, it is possible to craft these items without the 3rd qualifier, but that seems to be random. I've seen Khaylara with one and Andelas with one.

As a druid we do have attack abilities like Clouded Sight where we would use the staff as a weapon (Probably more gracefully than Bow Bash) so there could be some reason behind the study of Staff, but right now there seem to be inconsistanceys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So all great combat staves are supposed to require Staff and Fire Magic 40. I think it's in exchange for the inherent buffs they give, 10% Staff and 6% Fire Base Damage.

IIRC the last time this bug came up the conclusion was that if one of those prereqs was overridden than neither would be applied. So like say you make a level 60 fire/ice staff, the usual "Requires Fire 40" would be overridden by "Requires Fire 60" (cause it'd have level 60 Fire mods), but the Staff req would also mistakenly disappear? Which is why the "Requires Staff 40" sometimes shows up and sometimes doesn't? Something like that, anyway.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So the regular "staff level 40" gets overridden randomly by the higher fire prerequisite, thanks for clarifying it for me. I kept trying to find a pattern.

My suggestion would be still to remove that prerequisite off the combat staves, it makes sense to have it (along with the base %damage stat) only if fire/ice magic is paired with the staff skill. On a combo like ice magic+mentalism or fire+shield it doesn't make much sense since none of the other weapons has it. Not a problem for me personally (my staff is 60) but it's unnecessary for people who don't actually intend to play staff to level it to 40 just so they can use a weapon.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 02-17-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    My suggestion would be still to remove that prerequisite off the combat staves, it makes sense to have it (along with the base %damage stat) only if fire/ice magic is paired with the staff skill. On a combo like ice magic+mentalism or fire+shield it doesn't make much sense since none of the other weapons has it. Not a problem for me personally (my staff is 60) but it's unnecessary for people who don't actually intend to play staff to level it to 40 just so they can use a weapon.
    Yeah, I've been stuck leveling some skills just to use a particular weapon that had mods for two other skills.

* I leveled throwing knives because my other hand weapon for archery + animal handling is a nice throwing knife with AH/Archery mods that also requires knife skill.
    * I leveled staff so I could use a nice yellow Great combat staff I made for Mentalism/Psychology.
    * I started leveling Hammer for a second other hand weapon but replaced that weapon before i hit level 40 in Hammers.

Edit: It wasn't a horrible burden to do it or anything, but it was kinda ... annoying? I guess it's mostly an issue with not (yet) being able to craft weapons other than staves/clubs. My other hand weapons come from the RNG and so I can't "pick" one that's relevant to my existing skills. Using looted ones is fine, except when I can't actually wield them .

When it came time to picking a melee weapon to level, I went with staff specifically because I can make my other hand weapons and not worry about skill reqs. staff.
    Last edited by Eachna; 03-05-2017 at 06:05 PM. Reason: More thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree with crafted weapons having skill requirements on them at all. Or any weapons for that matter, since plenty of dropped weapons have them too. If you're just holding it as a stat stick, why do you need to know how to fight with it?
    Is "not getting to equip anything until you drop animal form and level a weapon skill" an intended downside for playing an animal? Why should I have to know how to fight with a club if I can't even use it anyway and only have it because it makes me bite people harder? The only skill requirements should be for the mods on the weapon. None of this "Requires Pig 50, Requires Unarmed 50, Requires Sword 50" on one item crap.

Thread Footer