Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Different mechanics for different damage types?

Hello,

I haven't been playing much, but I don't understand the different damage types and their purpose.
    They feel all the same to me, just textually different. They don't seem to have different mechanics (with some exceptions like fire being put out in water).

I feel like each damage type should have its own clear mechanic that sets it apart from other damage types.
    It would help on the uniqueness of each skill, make some skills more strategy based (even though that's already the case for some) or more straightforward when it comes to desired results.

Here are some example of what it could be:

Slashing
    : nothing special, behaves normally as the basic type

Piercing : either fully bypasses armour (ex: arrow or lance that pierces through) or exclusively deals armour damage (ex: arrow or lance that bounces off), depending on the skill potency compared with target

Crushing : always has a chance to stun target or has knock-back effect of varying degree (effectiveness varying based on skill difference or immunity level)

Fire : indirect damage duration has a chance to stop early the more wetness the target has (100% wetness is immediate stop though)

Cold
    : Range and duration varies depending on the temperature (warm maps VS cold maps; day VS night; close to a source of fire VS wet in wind)

Electricity : highly variable damage based on the target condition. increased damage on conductive targets (wet, metallic, etc.) and reduced damage on insulated targets (heavily clothed, dehydrated, grounded, etc.). Electricity could be one-hit kill or the weakest damage type depending on the conditions.

Poison : damage builds up stacks, for each stack the damage dealt and duration is increased. Maintaining control on the stacks is key to survive poisonous/venomous attacks. Effect is transmitted to corpse meat on death so it cannot be butchered (or produced poisoned meat).

Trauma : damage is increased for the next tick if the player has taken a physical action or is running/fleeing, damage is decreased for the next tick if the player is resting (sitting or lying down)

Psychic : as damage builds up, the higher the chance that the target will inflict attack itself or a nearby target instead of the intended target. However, resistance to psychic damage also builds up but this can be reduces with a greater skill proficiency difference compared with the target.

Acid : reduces maximum armour as damage is dealt (temporarily or until repaired). Effect is transmitted to corpse skin on death so it cannot be skinned (or it is always the lowest quality, but for some monsters it could enhance the "skin" quality)

Darkness
    : debilitating effect that also reduces maximum power as damage is dealt (debilitating effect could be capped based on the caster proficiency and the difference in skills?)

Nature : damage spreads to nearby targets if too close or on contact (because diseases, swarms, spore ejections jump targets) -- be wary of friendly-fire, but it makes the best crowd control

I feel that it would make the game more unique compared with other MMOs too. Most of them also just have text-flavoured damage types without any mechanic differences.

Thank you for reading!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakiamiir View Post
    Hello,

Acid : reduces maximum armour as damage is dealt (temporarily or until repaired). Effect is transmitted to corpse skin on death so it cannot be skinned (or it is always the lowest quality, but for some monsters it could enhance the "skin" quality)
    How about : Acid actually does health damage? The battle chemist acid bomb does zero health damage - only armor. I can increase its damage by 50% twice via slots and I never do because armor damage alone is basically worthless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acid bomb does only armor dmg becouse that is how the ability is. Battle chemistrys toxic irritant also is also acid dmg but does normal health dmg.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niqesse View Post
    Acid bomb does only armor dmg becouse that is how the ability is. Battle chemistrys toxic irritant also is also acid dmg but does normal health dmg.
    Can you give a good reason why acid bomb only does armor damage and toxic irritant does acid damage to health?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glythe View Post
    Can you give a good reason why acid bomb only does armor damage and toxic irritant does acid damage to health?
    Because it is the vision of the game creator who designs skills and their function.
    Coglin, Master Bard, subsequent druid. - Master of all Animals that can be Handled.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some very interesting ideas. I do quite like them.

Regarding metallic armor being more susceptible to eletric damage, I do believe that already exists, or atleast it used to exist and may have been removed as I remember that being one of the downsides to wearing metallic armor. That being said, I'd like to see more armor mechanics as well. Currently items in the game as mere stat sticks. What I mean is, for example, a shield does not provide the possibility to block damage. It merely acts as another source of flat armor vs an orb which provides another stat. It be nice to see some item mechanics in this game. Why shouldn't a shield wielder have the chance to block damage ontop of mitigating more by a flat increase in armor amount?

Good thread though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aionlasting View Post
    . Why shouldn't a shield wielder have the chance to block damage ontop of mitigating more by a flat increase in armor amount? .
    I suspect the answer is because that is Citans design and that the game is not designed around "blocking" being a thing.

Then again you have blocks on staff. Perhaps that wouldn't be bad on shield.

Maybe in this made up fantasy realm,the real world logic you are trying to apply does not exist.

Perhaps it is just not designed to work like the real world.
    Last edited by Coglin; 02-26-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    Coglin, Master Bard, subsequent druid. - Master of all Animals that can be Handled.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coglin View Post
    Because it is the vision of the game creator who designs skills and their function.
    That goes both ways and maybe bard horns are too easy to make.

In all seriousness -How many skills in this game deal damage only to armor? Acid Bomb seems like a very bad outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Aionlasting View Post
    What I mean is, for example, a shield does not provide the possibility to block damage. Why shouldn't a shield wielder have the chance to block damage ontop of mitigating more by a flat increase in armor amount?
    You can block elemental damage with a shield via the elemental ward skill. That being said it might be cool if shield had some of its existing mods adjusted to give mitigation % vs ranged/elemental the way that unarmed has physical mitigation.

You may or may not know but unarmed is insanely superior to say shield for tanking physical mitigation. Shield gets flat mods and unarmed gets % mods. I suspect this will be addressed with the next patch so there is no reason to bring the issue up now (as it is an old balance problem).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That goes both ways and maybe bard horns are too easy to make.
    What are going on about? Do you have the capacity to stay on topic ...

In all seriousness -How many skills in this game deal damage only to armor? Acid Bomb seems like a very bad outlier.
    I can think of about 6 to 8 off the top of my head. I do not think "outlier" means what you think it means.

Thread Footer