Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Showing up to this party late! Player housing is exciting and daunting and I'm eager to see how it fits in. A few of these suggestions may already be in circulation, but here's my two cents:

Limited Property Ownership. A player should only have one house for the entirety of their account, regardless of housing district variety that may be available. However, a player may "relocate" the property to a different housing district for a cost, should other districts exist. If player-to-player property sales will be possible, this should be a limit of two properties per player without the option to "relocate" a property to a different housing district. Limiting housing in this way ensures that players are less likely to be taken out of the game at large to play Real Estate Mogul: Gorgon Edition.

Modular Housing Expansion. Modular expansions allow players to more flexibly dictate the size of the property they want to manage. Certain expansion options may only be available to specific creature forms (like a barn for cows, an attic for bats) or made available by accomplishing feats and befriending NPCs in the world. There should be a modest upper limit for expanding one's house, so additions can be meaningful and players aren't sucked into decorating vast, echoing halls for eternity if player-made placeables will be an option. Being limited, it should be possible to "remodel" an addition, replacing it with a different one. In a hypothetical, a house starts the size of a studio apartment, but can be expanded by up to 5 additional rooms if the player meets criteria. This ties into...

Building Permits. The Civic Duty skill already provides the framework for something like this in player housing. A player would be able to expand their house based on how involved they are in the community, along with resource or monetary costs for the "construction" via Building Permits for Modular Expansions from the lead authority NPC in the city where the housing district is located. In a hypothetical, a player looking to add additional rooms to their estate in Serbule would go to Sir Coth to obtain a Building Permit. Limit one Permit per one module expansion. Remodeling an existing expansion should cost 75%-50% of whatever the cost of a module would be. The "relocation" option of Limited Property Ownership would also be a Permit-based cost.

Open-Air Housing District. Similar to the courtyards players congregate in currently, housing should be located in an open-air district where neighbors can congregate. This would also allow for player shops, a community garden, etc.

Community Garden. The garden always produces a set table of common vegetables, fruits or both, with a tiered harvest list paid out at the end of a period based on contribution. The garden will not wilt or die without tending, but players that spend time tending it will be rewarded when the harvest triggers with resources based on their contribution, as well as additional benefits like a week-long buff or Civic Duty experience. The payout shouldn't be exorbitant for high contributors, but should encourage involvement. The community garden could also be a target for local pests, like pesky rabbits!

House Maintenance. With a cleanliness de/buff system already in place for players, it would make sense to have a similar for housing as well. A well-maintained house may entice more positive visitors, whereas a poorly-maintained house may invite trouble. Buffs and debuffs may also be doled out based on house state.

"The Help". If servants will be an option, they should not trivialize the resource costs associated with the player's adventures by being ridiculously adept at acquiring resources or money for the player. However, they should be able to help a player maintain their house and standing in as a point of contact for features like the Work Order Board, reading off or composing the player's mail, or collecting earnings from stall sales. One of their functions could also be as the interface for storage access, negating the need for "physical" storage in a home. Servants should have quarters of their own, taking up a house expansion module.

Furniture, if it isn't pre-fab with the housing additions, should be meaningful and texture-consistent with the resources used to make it (i.e. all oak furniture should look like it's made with oak wood).

Since we're also discussing interpersonal aspects....

Marriage. Named NPCs being available for marriage is an excellent idea! I would also suggest that servants can be married, if they're implemented.

Matchmaker for players who aren't interested in existing NPCs, a Matchmaker NPC is an option to help find a player true love by matching criteria against a modest list of "hidden" suitors. Offering hidden suitors may make the experience more personalized for players! In a hypothetical, a player would visit a Matchmaker NPC and select from a trait preference list (similar to the interests current NPCs have now) and the Matchmaker will take up the offline/Hang Out time to look for a match. The match may not be perfect! Some "extra hidden" suitors may only be available if the player meets certain criteria themselves, like being a werewolf, having a high Compassion level, etc. After a match is found, the suitor will show up at the player's house when they're home to socialize. If servants are implemented, they should also be able to "ring" for the Matchmaker for convenience, who will then be a visitor with all the usual features that NPC provides.

Brothels would be a racy alternative to marrying an existing NPC or a Matchmaker suitor, depending on the degree of openness sexuality will see in Gorgon. It would function somewhat similarly to the Matchmaker -- just with 100% less potential commitment! The player would make a request of a Proprietor based on criteria they set, the tryst would take up the offline/Hang Out time and provide specific buffs (and possibly painful reminders to address with your physician!). Seeing the same companion could increase the type of buff they provide (if they provide specific buffs based on their character), titles can be associated with the frequency of Brothel feature use, and repeat companions may eventually be available for marriage.

Players should also be able to designate friends as family, or even life-partners through marriage. In a hypothetical, if a friend is listed as "family", both players inherit each other's in-laws as potential visitors.

Apprenticing. Players should be able to mentor other players in a specific skill by "renting" out a room of their house for a period. In this case, apprentice quarters would be a house expansion module choice and would be required to take on an apprentice.

I'll stop here, or I'll spend all day typing a novel. I look forward to seeing how housing is implemented!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entirely my personal opinion, here is what I would like to see in housing:

1) Storage access. Once in your home, you should be able to access ALL storage in all zones and dungeons, so you can arrange and consolidate it as you wish.

2) Portals. A commons should have the portal back to the town your housing is tied to,.

3) Guild Portals. The commons should also have a guild home portal that you can access if you are a member of a guild. Guild homes should have a housing portal like the one in town that takes you back to your housing commons, again only if you are a member of a guild.

4) Decor. Using dye skill, you can dye the walls in the color and pattern of your choice. Furniture can be crafted to add accents.

5) Equipment. Commons might also have amenities such as tanning racks, cotton gins, water taps, community gardens, work benches, and meditation pillars, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the following could work:

Provide a small number of open world hardpoints that can be purchased, developed, and then opened for instanced housing, with whatever is constructed in the open world as the common area.

That would allow players to live outside NPC towns, even in dangerous zones. It could also allow for community projects to improve the open-world development common area that all the instanced housing is connected to (and which would appear as the open-world visual for any travelers wandering by).

So, while there might only be a few such hardpoints scattered across the maps, they could each theoretically host an infinite number of instanced houses, and it seems unlikely that they would go stagnant, while at the same time those living there would likely take pride in the open-world appearance of their settlement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to outline the concepts that I find engaging in player housing

1) The Crossroads
    i.e. the teleportation options within a house that provide a regular reason to enter it. Everquest and EQ2 have many, many examples of these (abit the general focus on esoteric locations kind of takes away from the utility of this)

2) The Utility
    In practice, this usually boils down to crafting tools, such as the cotton gin. However, anything that can perform a service (such as a writing desk or meditation shrine) can create meaningful rewards for players that focus on housing

3) Storage
    Just something to keep in mind, having some form of storage, and/or tying it to the various storages in the world (such as the favor storage in the zone the house is located in) is of vital importance.

4) Useful & Useless
    Features that provide a function that is, in practice, negligible provide depth to a house. The primary example I'd like to use is EQ2 2006 Frostfell's "feast" furnishings, which provided infinite amounts of lv1 food that would expire quickly. They were more than simple, static decorations, except not really.

5) The Fantasy
    Different characters would have different infinity+1 strongholds. A warrior type might desire a literal fortress, a animal player might want a pocket of untamed(-ish) wilderness, a mage might want a private demiplane... being able to cater to different type of character fantasies is something that should be considered when designing the housing locations & their setting customizations.

6) The Key
    This be a personal reqest; in certain MMOs where I invested quite heavily on my player-owned house, I would often extend it's services to friends. Being able to create a item that would allow others to access another's house without their micromanagement (or even being logged in) would be nice.

Thread Footer