Welcome to Project: Gorgon!


Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Junior Member Delfofthebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    114 (0 Banked)

    Gearing up in this game...

    I've come back to this game after a 4 year~ hiatus. I brought as many of my friends in as I could, some who have played before, and some who haven't. Back when I played before, and as I have re-learned today, gearing up in gorgon is...tough.

    I started by making a new character to "refresh" my memory on how the game plays, what items are important, where I should go, and what I should do. I made a Sword / Necro character. But as many people on the forums and in game will tell you (and they're right), Necro is weak. Oh the pets do decent damage alright, but I was our only melee and effectively our "tank" of the group. Having to deal with pet management issues while also having to maintain them in graveyards while I make my friends wait inside was just really not a good feeling.

    So when my skellies died, I often let them stay dead. So that meant I was stuck with the base Necro kit, and man oh man does it need good treasure mods to feel powerful. The sword situation isn't as bad, but it definitely has very noticeable power spikes with the correct gear. Crypt after crypt, goblin dungeon after goblin dungeon, we'd hit up every boss, hit up every chest, then swap to the next dungeon. I'd mercilessly comb over every piece that dropped.

    And somehow, before I was ever able to achieve just one set of "decent" gear that I thought would just put me on the same level as a terribly geared Fire Magic player with no secondary skill, I had hit level 50 in both skills. I was stunned. I'm just doing the first two "real" dungeons, and somehow I hit my level cap before I got the gear I wanted. Just what is this madness? Why is it so easy to get level 50? Why is it so hard to get the right treasure mods? Why are the necro damage skill numbers so insanely low?

    Shortly after hitting 50 I decided I'd had enough. I swapped some skills around, but wasn't feeling any of them either. Similar problems, and just general "This class isn't for me" vibes. But then I remembered of Transmutation and Augmentation, and I have the benefit of having all of those skills (albeit low level) on my main from years ago. So I decided to switch back to him.

    Now that I'm back on my main, I have a pair of sills I really enjoy (Spider / Druid) but gearing still feels so...impossible. I merely wish to acquire good gear (not perfect full yellows, just a "decent" set of purple tiers with my desired build's mods) RNG is rarely kind, and even with these gear-modifying skills, I am struggling to get what I want.

    I never have enough dust. I never have enough baubles or beads, and if I did, I'd wager I don't have enough gems either. Constantly deconstructing all my gear to level up those skills is also keeping me decidedly poor. I know that if I stopped trying to level up these skills and use them, I would be rich enough to go to higher dungeons, which would get me more money, which would inevitably snowball into me being max level and farming gear there.

    But I don't want that. I want to enjoy the game at a steady pace. Rushing to max level to grind gear is what every single bad MMO is about. What attracted me to Gorgon was how far it strayed from the standard MMO conventions.

    So I have to ask: What the hell does everyone else do? Does everyone just charge to the endgame and deal with it there? Does everyone have shit gear and that's just how life is? Is trying to play and experience this game at a steady pace with basic milestones for each dungeon / level bracket even possible? Any info or insights would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Delfofthebla; 01-31-2020 at 04:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Member Celerity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    28 (159 Banked)
    Achievements First Post!
    So I just want to say a few things:

    Firstly I think you're right, just farming normal mobs even if you hit up every boss and chest it can be extremely difficult to find gear.

    But secondly, I don't think you're necessarily "supposed" to get even what you call a decent set of gear until you're at least past 50, probably closer to 60. This is simply because if you did use an actual full set of purple gear or even augmented red simply with correct mods and up to date levels you would steamroll the content. Now I'm not talking out of my ass here since I essentially started fresh too after getting my first build sword/necro to 60/60 which was max at the time. When I used my new build, ice/bc I had at this point learnt leatherworking and I used leatherworking to make myself armour sets every 20 or so levels and I can say that even without transmutation or augmentation, simply making several pieces and picking the best out of them I was able to completely destroy the at level content.

    So what are you supposed to do for gear then? Well barters are actually really good, ukorga barters winter armour at lvl 40 and that's probably the best way for a completely new player to get their lvl 40 set. This is relevant for war caches which you do later at 50-60 too but the minotaur vaults are good there also. Obviously crafting works as well and to an extent you can maybe keep up with it up to lvl 30 or 40 when you're a noob, but this probably requires previous experience. Other than that you really just farm group dungeons with elites, which is only available beginning with yeti cave but like I said I don't think you necessarily need even a semi-decent set until you get to around 50 anyway.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mbaums's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    446 (0 Banked)
    Achievements First Post!
    BTW -- Necro is really a hard class to play well. Everyone wants to rock the skellies but the zombies are the star of the show, once moded. And if your friends are also necro, the undead pet dmg+buffs/heals work with people nearby. This might be a bug but it might not be.

    Some folks I knew after the steam launch went right to the end game, then kind of struggled as they couldnt transmute/augment, so besides gear being meh, they had inventory issues. With the cap at 80, I'd say you are going to feel a lot more sane NOT buying every skill, but get some unlocks, try getting notoriety, augmentation, transmutation up, and start hoarding phlog, and small and large beads. Every 200k I earned I ended up spending it asap on skills/unlocks.

    I think I learned about augmentation/transmutation after I was 70, so the change from "whatever rng gives me" to being able to reroll items was significant. On lower level stuff I think augmentation is cheaper, so I'd do that over transmutation, but transmutation is overall better. Just not when you are going to replace stuff in a week. I mean before level 50, exp is so quick I wouldnt touch it. Gear wise, I think most players have bad gear until they are able to transmute AND run lvl 70 dungeons regularly OR they get their armor crafted from a friend.

  4. #4
    Senior Member INXS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    384 (509 Banked)
    When i restarted a second time i bought amazing pocket gear pants and shirt, with just over 200 armor really good refresh rate and +40 pockets i wore that from lv 1 to lv 50, skills oriented gear for gloves, helmet and boots if i was lacking in that spot of a purple/yellow from found gear i crafted something, at the early stage of game i found properly geared you manage well.

  5. #5
    Member Glythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    145 (0 Banked)
    Not having Transmutation/Augmentation is really going to hurt by the time a new player gets to around level 50. Years ago I kept getting the wrong mods won the wrong armor type.... so I would just sell the armor and hope for a better roll the next day. It took weeks to get one piece mostly right. Long ago before the casino it was hard to get money and that made it harder to get gear.

    As a level 80 character who can craft a lot of the armor I have to say gearing up is actually easy. Find a crafter and give them mats for a free combine. You can skip about a hundred hours worth of effort that goes into raising that one skill to make armor. You skip all the recipe costs too which really add up when you consider most armor sets have 5 pieces and start coming in normal as well as max enchanted versions.

    Being able to make armor is priceless. I cannot emphasize how much you will want to eventually want to become a crafter.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Delfofthebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    114 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glythe View Post
    Find a crafter and give them mats for a free combine. You can skip about a hundred hours worth of effort that goes into raising that one skill to make armor. You skip all the recipe costs too which really add up when you consider most armor sets have 5 pieces and start coming in normal as well as max enchanted versions.
    This sounds good in theory, but I find that it's always crazy difficult to purchase or even harvest the quantity of raw materials needed for crafting in this game. I've only done the bare minimum necessary for getting access to augmentation, but it's been rough. Is crafting gear any different than finding it off of mobs? Can I weight it towards specific mods or something? Because it seems like I'd be spending tons of money and/or resources just for one more "dice roll". If I have better control or if the material costs are really low then I could see this being a pretty valid solution though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glythe View Post
    Being able to make armor is priceless. I cannot emphasize how much you will want to eventually want to become a crafter.
    Honestly, I find "priceless" to be a very hard sell. It could be the most useful thing in the world and I don't think I'd have the stomach for it after what I've experienced already.

    Sorry, off-topic tangent incoming.

    I loved most of this game up until level 50. There's all these quirky NPCs, places to explore, interesting abilities. It's been great. That first initial grind of dumping my most valuable items into an NPC just so that I can make more money in the longrun and get extra storage was painful, but satisfying. Once I got access to all of the storage and increased vendor capacity it felt like the world was mine. Oh I have been a tad frustrated with the gear situation for sure, but I was still feeling content with things overall. The gameplay loop felt pretty solid.

    But then I got far from Serbule, and had to do it all over again. No more storage, no more vendor cap. if I wanted to stash the same items that I had stored in serbule, I needed to make a very long trek just to maintain my desired item organization.

    To make things worse, I hit 50 in several more skills and decided I wanted to get to 60 in them. Suddenly, the favor grind that I was finding frustrating was now infuriating. Why? because the way you increase your level cap in Project Gorgon is by far the worst design decision in all of all of gaming, and participating in it is making me want to die

    This past weekend I've been going hard on the "post 50" gameloop. It's different. It's unlike anything prior to 50. Levels 1-50 were the stage demo, the "scripted sequence" meant to pull you into a false sense of security. And much like any stage demo, it's nothing like what project gorgon really is. Because now it's about chasing down copious amounts of gems, wood, chairs, Hate Juice, Ivory Spoons, and other painfully specific items.

    Hour upon hour I spent getting the necessary items. I harvested where I could, payed what I couldn't, and pulled off my 4 year old mule whatever I could find. What has all this hard earned meticulous grinding netted me? The ability to pay all of my money just to get access to the god damn experience bar. What a cruel joke...

    In an MMO I expect leveling to be the main gameplay, but it's not in PG. It's favor grinding. I get to level 50 on combat skills way way too quickly, and with way too little effort. But once I hit 50 with anything, combat or tradeskill, it's just a straight brick wall. "Grind this item", "Buy these items", "Pay for this XP bar", "Pay for that XP bar". To make things worse, most of these post-50 NPC's are fairly "one-off" skill trainers that have no personality, no interesting quests, and serve no purpose other than to unlock a skill. In the rare event I can use them as a vendor or storage, they usually do not want any items that are from nearby dungeons or wildlife. They want spoons and chairs. Nothing is fun about chasing down these items, and by the time I have enough favor with them to unlock what I want, I am ready to leave the zone and go on somewhere else. Now all of that time spent feels bitter and wasted.

    I'm not even to 60 with many of my gathering skills and I feel emotionally and financially drained. Just how could going through this pain with yet another skill be worth it? It just can't be. And what would level 50 tailoring or leatherworking get me? Jack fucking shit, that's what. I'd need 60, and by the time I got 60 in either of these I'd need 70, and then 80, and then 90, which likely doesn't even exist.

    I'm going to stick with the game a little longer, but I do not think this kind of gameplay post 50 is very fun. I want to do dungeons, and I want to fight difficult encounters. I want to feel good about beating these encounters and I want to strengthen my character as I do so. I want progressing my character to feel fun. Favor/money grinding a new throwaway NPC every 10 levels doesn't feel good. It feels like work. I am working so that I can get access to more work, which will give me access to even more work. I never feel rewarded for my work either. Why. Why would anyone possibly want to do this all the way to 80?
    Last edited by Delfofthebla; 02-03-2020 at 02:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member alleryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    1,349 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfofthebla View Post
    This sounds good in theory, but I find that it's always crazy difficult to purchase or even harvest the quantity of raw materials needed for crafting in this game. I've only done the bare minimum necessary for getting access to augmentation, but it's been rough. Is crafting gear any different than finding it off of mobs? Can I weight it towards specific mods or something? Because it seems like I'd be spending tons of money and/or resources just for one more "dice roll". If I have better control or if the material costs are really low then I could see this being a pretty valid solution though.
    There are two main advantages to crafted gear, i think:
    * 120 Enhancement points instead of 100. Not that big a deal, but it does mean some extra pockets at least.
    * The big one: max-enchanted means 6 mods on a yellow, instead of the 5 you can normally get.

    Also it's probably just easier to gather the materials to craft a number of, say, staves, than to loot a staff (you have to get a lot of loot before one item happens to be a staff. Say you loot 20 items to get a staff. Then it's either farm enough mobs to get 20 drops vs gather enough materials to craft one staff).

    For some slots (most slots really), like armor, it's not so bad, because you don't really care so much what the base item is. Then it's really more up to the above 2 points.

    And what would level 50 tailoring or leatherworking get me? Jack fucking shit, that's what. I'd need 60, and by the time I got 60 in either of these I'd need 70, and then 80, and then 90, which likely doesn't even exist.

    ...

    I am working so that I can get access to more work, which will give me access to even more work. I never feel rewarded for my work either. Why. Why would anyone possibly want to do this all the way to 80?
    For me, the chief advantage of hitting those earlier milestones, 50, 60... before 'max' level, is that i can complete more npc work orders. This let's me accumulate more councils to buy items to use for favor and to purchase the skill and ability unlocks themselves. It's kind of a positive feedback system:

    Perform NPC workorders --> Level up crafting skills and use profits from workorders to unlock more recipes --> Unlock higher level NPC workorders --> Repeat

    I know this playstyle may not appeal to everyone, but i find it quite enjoyable, constantly increasing my ability to make money and unlock progressively higher levels.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Delfofthebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    114 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    There are two main advantages to crafted gear, i think:
    * 120 Enhancement points instead of 100. Not that big a deal, but it does mean some extra pockets at least.
    * The big one: max-enchanted means 6 mods on a yellow, instead of the 5 you can normally get.

    Also it's probably just easier to gather the materials to craft a number of, say, staves, than to loot a staff (you have to get a lot of loot before one item happens to be a staff. Say you loot 20 items to get a staff. Then it's either farm enough mobs to get 20 drops vs gather enough materials to craft one staff).

    For some slots (most slots really), like armor, it's not so bad, because you don't really care so much what the base item is. Then it's really more up to the above 2 points.
    This makes sense, and is interesting, but it definitely seems more useful for specific weapon types. Luckily as a beast player the weapon type isn't super important for me, but I definitely could use more glove drops...

    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    For me, the chief advantage of hitting those earlier milestones, 50, 60... before 'max' level, is that i can complete more npc work orders. This let's me accumulate more councils to buy items to use for favor and to purchase the skill and ability unlocks themselves. It's kind of a positive feedback system:

    Perform NPC workorders --> Level up crafting skills and use profits from workorders to unlock more recipes --> Unlock higher level NPC workorders --> Repeat

    I know this playstyle may not appeal to everyone, but i find it quite enjoyable, constantly increasing my ability to make money and unlock progressively higher levels.
    I can definitely see that. For someone who is very interested in crafting for the sake of crafting (or for profit), rather than a means to an end for your own character build, focusing on professions before combat would likely be very appealing. But aren't work orders very RNG? Wouldn't you need to level several crafting professions just to have a constant flow of profitable crafting?

    For me though, crafting would purely be for my own character. If I could not directly use what I crafted (the moment I crafted it), I would write it off as worthless. I might complete the occasional work order to help level it up and make sure my materials are used in the most efficient way possible, but I would not enjoy it. I'm much more of a combat / exploration focused player. I want to crawl dungeons with a group, not run around picking flowers and skinning rats.

  9. #9
    Member Celerity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    28 (159 Banked)
    Achievements First Post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfofthebla View Post
    the way you increase your level cap in Project Gorgon is by far the worst design decision in all of all of gaming, and participating in it is making me want to die
    Wow, exaggeration of the century right here. But seriously, I actually just looked over all the items liked for every combat skill trainer in the game for 51-60, most of whom (all?) do 61-70 as well and every single one of them either takes a gem, equipment for the skill or equipment with those skills' mods with the exception of Yavazek for giant bat and Legs for spider. Yavazek can instead easily be favoured by bartering heart shrooms for health potions and although Legs is probably the worst combat trainer in the game to favour, it can still be done without too much difficulty with things such as skulls. For context you're looking at a cost of about 2.5k for gems to get an npc to the level required for the 51-60 unlock and for any that like equipment, you can get them to probably best friends or at least close friends just saving up the equipment from one dungeon run for them. If this sounds like a lot to you then I really don't know what to say, I'm not trying to make fun of you, I just don't understand how you could struggle so much.

    The casino daily quest gives a guaranteed 10-15k in pure cash plus probably an extra 10-15k worth of loot in about 20 mins and that assumes you have a relatively slow group, fast groups can clear them in about 10 mins or less. If you did this just 3 times literally not doing anything else in game you would already have enough to favour both your combat trainers, buy the unlocks and probably all your abilities too. Not to mention joining a guild that does guild quests gives you essentially 30k free a week just for logging in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delfofthebla View Post
    In an MMO I expect leveling to be the main gameplay, but it's not in PG. It's favor grinding.
    This is true to an extent but firstly I would say it's more a 50/50 split between exp farming and favour farming at most, if not even less favour farming, and secondly I would say it's essentially the same gameplay in that either way you're still farming mobs, except that the mobs you farm are different and I would argue therefore makes the game more varied and interesting as it "forces" you to try out new spots and explore more. In any situation you can always just do combat since you can just sell your spoils and then buy whatever favour item you need so I'm unsure why you have an issue with this. I also feel like you won't enjoy being max level either since you don't gain any experience when you're maxed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Delfofthebla View Post
    In the rare event I can use them as a vendor or storage, they usually do not want any items that are from nearby dungeons or wildlife. They want spoons and chairs.
    Every single npc in the game has at least 2, usually 3 different things they like. As I mentioned earlier every single combat trainer in the game has an easy method to favour them up with Legs being the only possible exception, and after checking the main combat ancillary skills such as cooking, butchering, skinning, foraging, fishing etc every single one of those has an easy favour method too such as gems or paintings. You could probably count the number of npcs who are difficult to favour up on one hand and most of those don't even offer the unlock for any skills.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delfofthebla View Post
    For me though, crafting would purely be for my own character. If I could not directly use what I crafted (the moment I crafted it), I would write it off as worthless.
    It seems to me that whenever people struggle in this game a lot it's usually because they don't do crafting. Most people don't seem to realise that nearly every crafting skill in the game makes profit, there are exceptions to this obviously e.g. brewing and most also lose you money at the low levels and for a lot of the recipes but if you just consider the vendor value of items, normally the vendor value of the finished product is around the same or even higher, see flatbread recipe for cooking; all npc bought items and you can sell it straight back to that same npc for profit. Tanning is another great example, the cost of the tannin is always less than the increase in value you get between the skin and the roll, this isn't a mistake, it's done deliberately so that crafting isn't just a money sink and instead an entirely viable alternative to combat. Work orders for the most part make you money, at lower levels you will roughly break even in exchange for gaining exp but at higher levels you could be talking 5-10k profit even if you just bought the mats straight off a player vendor for 5 minutes work and sometimes 30-40k if you farmed the mats yourself and as long as you knew the right spots to farm with a good aoe build you could probably do it in about half an hour or so.

    This isn't to say you have to do crafting of course, combat provides avenue for good money making too e.g. through skinning, group dungeons etc. it's just my belief that people who do combat only get burnt out more easily since their gameplay is more repititive. For example, someone who surveys for an hour, gardens for an hour then does an hour of combat has more variety when compared to someone who just does 3 hours of combat.
    Last edited by Celerity; 02-03-2020 at 04:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Delfofthebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    114 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celerity View Post
    Wow, exaggeration of the century right here.
    Sorry, the thought of leveling another tradeskill and favor grinding only to hit another wall kind of riled me up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Celerity View Post
    I also feel like you won't enjoy being max level either since you don't gain any experience when you're maxed...
    Correct. There is nothing fun about sitting at max level in the only dungeon for that level and farming it all day every day. That's what current mainstream MMO's are about. You get to max level in a month and then mindlessly grind gear for years or until you want to gouge your eyes out.
    Not my cup of tea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Celerity View Post
    Every single npc in the game has at least 2, usually 3 different things they like. As I mentioned earlier every single combat trainer in the game has an easy method to favour them up with Legs being the only possible exception, and after checking the main combat ancillary skills such as cooking, butchering, skinning, foraging, fishing etc every single one of those has an easy favour method too such as gems or paintings.
    I am a spider, and I don't think I'd put gems or paintings in the "easy" category, as they require several other tradeskills to obtain...

    Not to mention that the Endurance trainer won't even speak to animals. As a spider I at least can make it work for the cost of a moonstone, but if I didn't have the wiki it would cost at least 2 due to the nature of the gifts they want. You may have skins, wood, or sexy clothing on you, but there's no way you'd have enough right out the gate. And without the wiki I wouldn't have ever even known how to train this!

    Quote Originally Posted by Celerity View Post
    It seems to me that whenever people struggle in this game a lot it's usually because they don't do crafting. Most people don't seem to realise that nearly every crafting skill in the game makes profit, there are exceptions to this obviously e.g. brewing and most also lose you money at the low levels and for a lot of the recipes but if you just consider the vendor value of items, normally the vendor value of the finished product is around the same or even higher, see flatbread recipe for cooking; all npc bought items and you can sell it straight back to that same npc for profit. Tanning is another great example, the cost of the tannin is always less than the increase in value you get between the skin and the roll, this isn't a mistake, it's done deliberately so that crafting isn't just a money sink and instead an entirely viable alternative to combat. Work orders for the most part make you money, at lower levels you will roughly break even in exchange for gaining exp but at higher levels you could be talking 5-10k profit even if you just bought the mats straight off a player vendor for 5 minutes work and sometimes 30-40k if you farmed the mats yourself and as long as you knew the right spots to farm with a good aoe build you could probably do it in about half an hour or so.
    I will try to take this information to heart, as I have only viewed my current tradeskills as a pure money dump until now. (Gardening, Cooking, Alchemy, Transmutation, Augmentation)

    I have skinning, and some tanning, but have not been converting the skins before selling them...



Thread Footer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •