Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damage Type Immunity

First, let me say that I have not competed all of the new areas in the fae realm having only spent a few hours completing beginner quests.

I'm curious as to how many mobs in the game, or especially in the new zones have complete immunity to certain damage types. I've noticed that certain mobs require stun to take full damage, the shouters in the ice cave headed to fae realm are immune to several damage types. But now the new zone has at least two plant mobs that are entirely immune to nature damage.

Do only nature damage types suffer in this way, or will any other pure damage builds experience the same.

I guess it is a way to prevent people building full damage buffs and not making the most of the dual skill nature of the game and the creative build options available. But, I would really prefer if it was slightly less severe. Even a 90% damage reduction to that type of damage would seem more reasonable than complete immunity.

This seems to kill build options rather than make more feasible options. Kinda bummed out with my current build now and the amount of effort involved with gaining exp, buying unlocks and skills and crafting gear. I'm too afraid to level a new build expecting that it will eventually be unusable in a necessary fight/dungeon/quest. So after my recent return to the game, I've spent more hours looking up skills on the wiki and trying to find a new path forward than playing the game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't written this down anywhere yet, but it might help?

- 22 of 136 Bosses listed on the wiki have Immunity. Darkness (22), Poison (6), Cold (6), Acid (4), Trauma (4), Nature (4), Fire (3), Psychic (2), Electricity (1), Piercing (1), Slashing (1).
    - There are 8 Plant Anatomy creatures listed on the wiki. 5/8 are Immune to Nature. 4/8 are Immune to Psychic.
    - 14 of 31 creatures in the Fae Realm listed on the wiki have Immunity. Poison (4), Nature (3), Cold (3), Psychic (2), Fire (2), Electricity (1), Darkness (1).
    - 6 of 18 creatures in Gazluk listed on the wiki have Immunity. Cold (2), Electricity (2), Darkness (2), Acid (1), Psychic (1), Poison (1), Trauma (1).
    - 10 of 43 creatures in Gazluk Keep listed on the wiki have Immunity. Darkness (4), Acid (2), Psychic (2), Crushing (2), Piercing (2), Slashing (2), Cold (1), Poison (1).
    Bannerholme Archivist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you BetaNotus, that is very in depth and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I suppose I should be grateful that I'm just now experiencing strife with this issue. I also feel a bit silly not having realized so many mobs have total immunity to damage types. I suppose most people intend to have multiple skill loadouts or a very diverse array of skills on their main loadout?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think just a couple of the non-elite plant mobs having nature immunity is too big of a deal since there's lots of different sections of the fae realm each with different mobs you can fight if you need exp and if it's for a quest you can always group up.

What has bothered me in the past and is reflected from BetaNotus' post is the sheer amount of darkness immune mobs you encounter at the lower levels which essentially only applies to necromancy. When every single undead mob is immune to darkness and darkness is the damage type of your basic attack, aoe, root, heal and fear it becomes nearly impossible to use necromancy in areas such as serb crypt, elt crypt, borghild and kur tower. Very outdated information but when I was first leveling in 2015 there was a huge content gap for me after the goblin dungeon (which also has random undead in it) since I couldn't do kur tower or borghild because of the undead darkness immunity. I should have skipped to the yeti cave but I couldn't get in because I was too much of a noob so I ended up going straight to the wolf cave. I'm not sure this is any different nowadays but at least the zombie has become a lot better and that deals crushing.

Another skill which gets punished is ice magic, which almost the entire yeti cave is immune to and all winter fae, both the winter nexus bosses and fae realm ones. Most kur tower mobs also have it tagged as very ineffective. This means you're essentially locked out of doing 3 of the dungeons in the game, unless a group is fine carrying you do doing 0 damage. All of these dungeons are around the lvl 40 area meaning there is a serious gap for ice magic too. You can of course just rely entirely on your other skill but I'm of the opinion that if you can do the content with just 1 skill then you're clearly overleveled/overgeared for the area or you're being carried which isn't indicative of normal play.

While on the subject, I also don't understand why fire magic is supposed to suffer from mobs being resistant to it as a drawback for it's high damage literally written in the skill description, yet it's given 3 cold abilities and 1 crushing and ice magic is all cold damage except for 1 electricity ability. I'm also pretty sure there's similar numbers of mobs that are cold resistant and fire resistant and actually far more that are cold immune compared to fire immune.
    Last edited by Celerity; 01-16-2020 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been a game mechanic (& a good one) since 'forever'. Players get exposed to the concept very early on: brain bugs and psychology

It drives players to develop their skill sets and is why many vets carry 2 or 3 sets of gear and swap around depending on the mob type.
    Bottom line is that no single solution or approach works 100% of the time - which makes for a much more interesting game.

Ice magic: Preferred skill for pulling (or soloing) in Lab and GK

Fairy Realm: Using a Fire DOT spell as an opener makes things much easier
    Winter Nexus: See above

Bard: Removing sonic damage and changing it to nature - try not to use it in FR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poulter View Post
    This has been a game mechanic (& a good one) since 'forever'.
    That does not mean it is a good mechanic. Anyone here remember a little game called Diablo II? The developers of that game promised there would be no immune type mobs. And then later they came out with an expansion pack which broke their promise and ruined countless characters. That one change made me want to quit the game within a week.

Almost everyone in PG knows Necromancy sucks. Most people can not tell you why exactly but overall it is a combination of pets in this game being pretty trash (no offense) and because there are so many darkness resistant bosses.

How much fun is it for a new player to have fire magic and have trouble killing fire mobs that are highly resistant to that damage type? They probably can not even use the correct skill to determine resistances. Skip ahead to max level and look at farming ~35 ice hearts. You want to get those for an ice mage obviously but the mobs that drop them are immune to cold damage. That in my mind is a terrible mechanic. It might be totally fine if physical damage users like sword, shield, unarmed, etc were forced to farm physical immune mobs for some kind of 'mark of war' or something they had to turn in to their trainer.

The reality is that there is one level 80 zone. You have to farm that zone to get the jelly to train your level 80 skills. Having just one zone AND essentially making a large number of classes ineffective is bad design. And while you could in theory use mods to change damage type of druid you will be gimping yourself while doing so. You do not have spare mods to change a power's damage type when another class just gets +% damage with an effective power. As much as this game often reminds me of Everquest there is really quite often one good zone for leveling at any particular point in the game. Because there is only one level 80 loot zone (and really one level 70 dungeon) it can be a game ruining experience to find that the character you have been leveling for three years is now completely worthless. Is that the type of experience Citan wants for PG?

I would be 100% ok with the Fae realm having sections of resistant mobs living in a certain biome. Everyone should know what I am talking about here and the brain bugs in serb are a perfect example. If you want to fight them you go northwest and if not you stay away from that part of the map. Here again is a problem for the Fae realm because overall the spawning seems pretty random. You cannot go to a specific part of the map to avoid mob xyz for the most part. This gets complicated even more with certain mobs spawning at night/day.

Quote Originally Posted by Celerity View Post
    I don't think just a couple of the non-elite plant mobs having nature immunity is too big of a deal since there's lots of different sections of the fae realm each with different mobs you can fight if you need exp and if it's for a quest you can always group up.

Another skill which gets punished is ice magic, which almost the entire yeti cave is immune to and all winter fae, both the winter nexus bosses and fae realm ones. Most kur tower mobs also have it tagged as very ineffective. This means you're essentially locked out of doing 3 of the dungeons in the game, unless a group is fine carrying you do doing 0 damage.
    What bothers me about this in general is that there are certain skills which seem to be very good anywhere. Where is the zone that features physical immune mobs as the norm? There's one boss as far as I know : Zuke. Typically when you get to high level in a challenging MMO you will find mobs that challenge every class. From what I have seen in Project Gorgon there are very few mobs that challenge physical based characters. This is not exactly fair design when considering the Diablo II exmaple. That game featured ice, fire, physical, etc., immune bosses.

To make a long post short it is one thing to have mobs you need to farm be immune to your damage (cold mage farming ice hearts) and another when fire mages need to farm phoenix that have the damage type very ineffective vs fire. When I quit playing Everquest there were at least 6 different high level zones I could go farm xp in but in Project Gorgon there is only one end tier zone. Anyone who uses poison/cold kind of gets the middle finger in the best zone to farm/xp.
    Last edited by Glythe; 01-16-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as ice magic and necromancy go, perhaps this is intended? After all you can't even acquire either of those skills without defeating a high level boss, so unless you are getting carried you're already past the troublesome areas when you learn those skills.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of like the fae zone with multiple types of immunity, I do have multiple builds and gearsets though even if they are not fantastic.
    It's a zone for all lvl 70 - 80 folk so I feel it's OK that many skills fall down here and there.
    Also I feel that a game which allows characters to use all skill lines would be weird if a certain 2 skills could in effect dominate.

I do kind of agree though that hiding the lvl up items behind monsters that are immune to that type of damage is a little grim for those that are a little more limited in there options.

Though perhaps folks are not really supposed to be soloing the pheonix mobs anyhow whilst looking to get to lvl 80.

Also from a lore point of view you would expect high lvl fire creatures to be immune to fire whilst also expecting that to be the place to get good fire reagents.

Also physical damage is not really a damage type more a category of damage types, physical covers,piercing,crushing,slashing at least I'd of thought. That is a lot of immunity really.
    It would be like having elemental resist and being immune to elec,fire and ice etc. It's too much I feel. Or perhaps I misunderstand.
    Last edited by Celler; 01-16-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poulter View Post
    It drives players to develop their skill sets and is why many vets carry 2 or 3 sets of gear and swap around depending on the mob type.
    Bottom line is that no single solution or approach works 100% of the time - which makes for a much more interesting game.
    This is true for individual mobs and at the end game for sure. I personally love carrying around multiple sets and switching them up depending on what mobs I'm fighting but the issue is when it applies to entire dungeons worth of mobs and especially if they have absolute immunity versus very ineffective. You don't have the same flexibility to swap your builds around since you're more limited on your money, inventory space and ease of gathering gear at lower levels. There's also a massive disparity between skills, most physical skills you will never have to switch until you reach zuke in gk and then that's just 1 boss in 1 dungeon near the endgame, yet skills like necromancy would have you switching so often you would never get the chance to earn any experience for it in the first place. Everyone I know who uses it at endgame simply power leveled it there and so bypassed all these issues you would face if you leveled it as a noob. And everyone I know who used it as a noob switched to a different skill along the way, me included. The skill I switched to happened to be ice magic which had similar issues but by that point I already had the means to craft my own gear, without which I would have been stuffed once again.

Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    As far as ice magic and necromancy go, perhaps this is intended? After all you can't even acquire either of those skills without defeating a high level boss, so unless you are getting carried you're already past the troublesome areas when you learn those skills.
    It's possible to obtain necromancy with a group of lvl 20s, although I'm not sure many do and that certainly wouldn't be enough to power level your other skills. Also seems like poor game design to designate certain skills as power levelable only.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one 'bad' fight in the game I've ever swapped out while playing shield : Zuke. And somehow you can still stun him with shield bash and push him back with fight me you fools. You have to swap out skills in the new zone for poison/ice/fire and some of those damages are terrible in other places too that have been previously mentioned. If we're going to have a game where it is the norm for mobs to rave resistances to the point of immunity it would be a lot more fair if some mobs were immune to all physical. Every class should have some bad experiences here and there or should have an increasingly negative experience as levels go up. Many MMOs give mobs more and more physical immunity as you get closer to max level. Project Gorgon could address this theoretically by having armor go up dramatically at higher levels but it isn't exactly the same as sword/archery have access to a lot of piercing.

What is the advantage of Ice/Fire/Nature dmg when there are physical skills that have 1 bad fight in the whole game? That in my mind is the perfect example of poor balance. What would be better balance? If the new zone is supposed to mess with everyone why not have the non elite trolls 90% immune to physical and the elite ones 100% immune to physical. Take that suggestion as a raw idea for balance not necessarily a specific plan.

What evens out the differences when you have to choose between two competing classes? If you had to start over again tomorrow (ignoring normal class start options) would you choose Ice over Crushing/Piercing/Slashing? Very likely you would not if for no other reason than because physical always works and many class options often completely fail. Is that good game design?

That is a very nice list BetaNotus but is there another zone in the game with nearly 50% immunity to one damage type (excluding zones with low mob variety)?

For every other zone in the game immunities seem fine. The fact that you can not use electricity on cold elementals is acceptable when they are pretty rare overall in lower level dungeons. Later on you need one of 3 damage types to zap portals in Winter Nexus. The portals requiring one of three skills is a really neat game design element and is overall a lot more fun than just "immune to damage x". To compensate for needing such a specialized skillset the portals die basically from one attack. I feel like punishing dungeon elements is one thing and having open world immunities is a completely matter.

Thread Footer