Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Follow OFF

Can i please suggest/request an option to turn off the camera follow.
    • how it likes to auto correct itself behind my character always like the backside of my guy is worth looking at
    • and in combat.
    • and when i auto path with right click to npc.
    • and when holding left click gets ignored by force facing auto follow camera.

It's a strong peev to have the camera change like whiplash my characters neck when i was controlling the view just fine with holding right click or left click, before it needed to force face me another direction.

I know there is an option to kinda stop this in combat, "auto rotate to face opponent" doesn't really work with the right click to intercept, if i move to a target with click to move or an npc to auto path to sell then the camera snaps my characters neck and whips around to look dead ahead in the direction im going, asif im not in control from a birdseye vantage, the games flips and goes "NO you look where i want you to look, don't you dare enjoy yourself without consent of viewing that glowing thing that ran past you super fast that you wanted to look at".
    • Like i didnt get the window seat on the plane and now i have to limp onward knowing that every click could be a broken neck.

Just the option to turn on/off the camera follow completely please, then i can tell the voices to stop yelling.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I don't really understand this one... if camera-follow was turned off, the camera would just show the player getting further and further away until they were off-screen. The camera has to follow you to be useful. I'm sure you mean to turn off something else, but I'm not sure what!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    I don't really understand this one... if camera-follow was turned off, the camera would just show the player getting further and further away until they were off-screen. The camera has to follow you to be useful. I'm sure you mean to turn off something else, but I'm not sure what!
    So, I've seen this suggestion a few times... and didn't really understand it either. After a few conversations, I realized that what people are asking for is not for the camera follow to be turned off, but for the auto-align to be turned off. Right now, the in-game setting of Camera Auto-Align Time controls the speed it takes the camera to center behind the player. I keep mine at 10 (and smooth time at 0), which can cause some of the "whiplash" mentioned in the original post when moving around on land. This is easier to see if you set Camera Auto-Align to 100 and Camera Smooth Time to 0. Use the left mouse button to rotate the camera to point at the front of a character. Release the mouse. If you use an ability or click the mouse at this moment, the camera resets to directly behind the player character. Anyways, talking with other people.

I'm 90% sure that what people are asking for is a camera setting you sometimes see in JRPGs, which would set Camera Auto-Align Time to infinite (preventing any auto-align). The camera still moves with the character, but is locked into a user defined perspective, only moving closer or further away based on other objects in the world. As much as I'd like to see this be an option myself (it would make taking screenshots of combat easier), I would absolutely hate this proposed setting in dungeons.
    Bannerholme Archivist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaNotus View Post
    So, I've seen this suggestion a few times... people are asking for is not for the camera follow to be turned off, but for the auto-align to be turned off.
    If you use an ability or click the mouse the camera resets to directly behind the player character.

I'm 90% sure that what people are asking for Camera Auto-Align Time to infinite (preventing any auto-align). The camera still moves with the character, but is locked into a user defined perspective, only moving closer or further away based on other objects in the world.
    Yes that, the auto-align.
    In other games it's called the camera follow, because it's how the camera follows, the functions of the following camera and the settings for the following camera, obviously the camera would continue to hover over the player at the distance the player had set it and maintain it's camera mechanics, but it wouldn't adjust or change when your character moves, it would just follow the character normally without changing anything when the character attacks or clicks an object, and gives the person control over how they use the camera.
    Most games these days have these because alot of people use the mouses right click and left click for direction like an immersive connection to their character, an extension of their arm/hand to the character for movement and exploration.
    It's a common camera control option that any modern game has these days.
    They consider the camera to be essentially the view of the character asif the character was a bird above themself, the peripheral vision and the ability to turn your characters neck and look around, not tap both mouse buttons and get sent to hospital.

Go take the free trial of world of warcraft and test the holding right click, which holds the character, while keeping the right click held down, face around and tap left click, it faces your character and while moving this allows people to change directions without the camera deciding the player should not have control over this and snaps the characters neck in a whiplash function to where the character was originally facing, almost all rpg/mmo's these days have these camera mechanics that allow the player to control the camera however they wish by default without turning on "plz let me see what i wanna see without broken neck bones".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see a "disable auto align" option. It causes me way more harm than good in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same every other MMO I've played has had to ability to turn camera snap-back off.
    Basically it just leaves the camera rotated in the same position that you left it when you release left-mouse, usually with the camera auto resetting to behind if you use r-click to turn. This lets you auto run/hold W and still target things behind yourself.

Personally I'd just incorporate it as a -1 value on the "Camera Auto-Align Time" under Settings->Controls.
    Last edited by Jhaerik; 02-10-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Thread Footer