Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread: Moon Phases
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moon Phases

According to actual moon phases, the phases of New Moon, First Quarter, Full Moon, and Last Quarter, they each last for only 1 day. But for probable reasons for werewolves and mushroom farming, you have changed those phases to last 3 days for each. So that makes each of the other phases last 4 days each: Waxing Crescent, Waxing Gibbous, Waning Crescent and Waning Gibbous. But it is good to know of these changes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The delay from a moon phase of a cycle to the next is 27 days and a little less than 8h. Therefore, these duration must vary, or the game would quickly run out of sync. So, it's more complicated than that.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We calculate the real-world New Moon and Full Moon dates, then make those three days long by starting one day before and ending one day after the real-world date. Then we divide all the remaining days between the other phases.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've tried to calculate the in-game moon phases based on your explanation, but it looks like I'm still missing something.

If we apply it to this week, we have (all times are local EST):
    • New moon was Monday, June 3rd, 06:01
    • Full moon will be Monday, June 17th, 04:30

I assume the phase estimate is performed for time 00:00 of the day, so the "first" IRL day of new moon (when it's New Moon at 00:00) is June 4th, hence the days for New Moon were Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (3rd to 5th).

Similarly, the "first" IRL day of Full Moon is Tuesday 18th, and therefore in-game Full Moon days will be from Monday 17th to Wednesday 19th.

This gives us from June 6th to 16th, included, for the other 3 phases. That's 11 days, so 3 2/3rd days = 3 days and 16 hours per phase. We then have:
    • Waxing Crescent Moon starts after New Moon and lasts 3 days 16 hours, so 4 days, from June 6th to 9th included.
    • First-Quarter Moon starts 3 days 16 hours after New Moon and lasts 3 days 16 hours, so from June 10th to 13th included.
    • Waxing Gibbous Moon starts 7 days 8 hours after New Moon and lasts until Full Moon, from June 14th to 16th.

Total 4 + 4 + 3 = 11 days as expected.

Except today is June 12th and the game is telling me this is Waxing Gibbous Moon, 4 more days to Full. What did I miss?

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm mis-remembering it. Here are some illuminating comments from the code. It uses a public-domain bit of code I found (and can't find online anymore, the links are dead...) that "determines the fraction of the moon's disk that is illuminated at a given time", and also tells if the moon is waxing or waning, for a given Julian date. (Presumably at midnight, but I don't really know. The formula uses a bunch of hard-coded constants that only work at the date-level.) It's based on calculations by Jean Meeus, I think this book https://www.amazon.com/Astronomical-.../dp/0943396611. I honestly don't understand any of the moon math.

Using that code, my code just divvies the dates up, assigning a moon phase to each date.

// we want the "full moon" to be EXACTLY 3 days. So we find the
    // most full day, and declare that day to be full, as well as the day
    // before and after it.
    // We do the same for the "new moon" and the two quarter-moons, also exactly 3 days.

// the dates that don't have phases yet are the "leftover" phases.
    // Their length varies between 3 and 5 days depending on the month

The "leftover" phases are WaxingCrescentMoon, WaxingGibbousMoon, WaningGibbousMoon, and WaningCrescentMoon.
    Last edited by Citan; 06-12-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this most accurate explanation. I expect all calculations of main phases of the moon to give the same result, approximately. So it should be possible now to know every in-game phase of the moon in advance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my gourd, I've been meaning to ask this but apparently I was beaten to the punch! I suspected certain phases were longer but could not determine the logic.

This will help immensely with the accuracy of my calculations. Thanks!
    🗡️Sharp knives🗡️ and 💔hurtful words💔
    YouTube: insult&stab
    Twitch: sausagejavelins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really looked at how the moon phases worked and science behind it. There is a 'Sidereal orbit' that is a complete 360 degrees around the earth which takes 27.322 days. There is also a 'Synodic Orbit' which is an orbit around the earth and have the moon between the earth and the sun to have a new moon, which takes 29.5 days. Since the earth is moving in an orbit around the sun, the moon has to orbit more than 360 degrees in order to have a new moon. So the Synodic orbit is the one used for the phases of the moon. A new moon is when the moon is perfect between the sun and earth and after about a month in time, the earth is in a different angle/position to the sun, so the moon must travel a little further to be perfectly between the sun and earth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you who don't care about calculations, this calendar follows in-game moon cycles exactly. I've been using it for over a year and have never grown the wrong mushrooms!
    https://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/2019/july

This month, however, is a little odd with the 4 days of full moon on the calendar. P:G will have waning gibbous on the 18th, not another full moon.
    Last edited by Lyramis; 07-01-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've updated my Windows app to follow this algorithm more closely. It's still not perfect, unfortunately, but I gave my best shot.
    Last edited by Niph; 08-17-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Typo

Thread Footer