Welcome to Project: Gorgon!


Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.



User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61
  1. #41
    Senior Member Golliathe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    408 (0 Banked)
    Let me try a more direct question. Is there anybody feels that mentalism healing is on par with priest? (we can rotate through all the options one by one).

    Consider 3 categories:

    1. Number of heals and power of heals
    2. Utility abilities (including rez)
    3. prevention/removal abilities
    Last edited by Golliathe; 04-24-2019 at 11:00 PM.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Yaffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    599 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    It's an issue of your mileage may vary. Some people try to finish GK really fast with 6-8 mob pulls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    Once you get THE boots a single tactician does not matter.
    Don't argue against one specific situation by bringing up another situation, especially when I have addressed both. You'll only run a discussion around in circles if you jump back and forth and ignore what doesn't fit your narrative.
    Last edited by Yaffy; 04-25-2019 at 01:17 AM.

  3. #43
    Member Jarlaxle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    168 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    It's an issue of your mileage may vary. Some people try to finish GK really fast with 6-8 mob pulls. Killing one or two mobs at a time is very different.


    Once you get THE boots a single tactician does not matter. When the tank aoe taunts the mobs and they are feared/rooted the tacticians do not use their power after he runs away. This is stupid and needs to get fixed.... but we already told Citan about that problem in another thread.



    I think if you were really building a perfect group with 100% designer skills and what not you want a BC in there. Skin buffs, aoe heal... and even a golem who can cast a big heal when your health goes below a certain value (like when you get red texted from the 2nd tactician). The other thing to consider is that skin is +8 regen in combat... which you can stack with +9 more on chest, +5 more on legs, +8 on offhand/mainhand. So you can take a build that runs too much power and make the power drain not really be an issue.



    Bingo! And that's the issue with skin... your health can yo-yo up and down very easily with various heals but group armor restoration is a completely different thing. Having more health cap imho can be more valuable than mitigation when you don't have much mitigation in the first place - depending.

    Also I didn't build with extra heart in mind but I understand when someone asks for it.
    See? This is the problem with your arguments. Cutting out everything and choosing only the part that you think is supporting your argument even when it really doesn't. First off, he said "You are right in your reasoning that thick skin is still decent because it provides as much mitigation as several hundred armor." So how is that bingo when your argument was that skin is worthless? And second of all, armor disappearing in a single hit or two means skin is even that much BETTER than armor since skin won't disappear after getting hit. So you're saying the issue with skin is because armor can disappear really fast? That makes skin even more important right? What you quoted as "bingo" does not support what you have been saying at all. Anyway, I give up trying to make sense of this. Rant away. Peace out.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Niph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    1,344 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    Let me try a more direct question. Is there anybody feels that mentalism healing is on par with priest?
    If I want to heal, I'll choose Priest over any other skill (Note: I'm not druid). Then I'll pair it with another skill that can heal. I use Pyschology, but Mentalism would work, I just prefer the former. Someone mentioned Pig, it would probably be the best second skill (again, I can't comment on Druid).

    I don't think that makes Priest particularly OP. One of the skills has to be the best choice for the majority.

  5. #45
    Member poulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    452 (0 Banked)
    For strong healing I use Mentalism /Druid as it provides great AOE Healing (+ armor and power regeneration) with 3 large instant heals.
    I consider Pig to be 'better' for group work, but as we can't have Pig /Druid, I use Mentalism.

    With Mentalism /Druid, I am also consistently third highest damage on GK group runs.

    Regarding grouping skills, I have found that they all add value and have their place and a group with priest, Bard, druid, BC and Mentalism skills in it is exceedingly strong.

    As mentioned earlier, priest is the only healing skill that I don't use for healing - mainly due to the extended casting times and the near certainty in GK that you are going to be interrupted whilst casting.

  6. #46
    Banned spider91301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    177 (2,230 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by poulter View Post
    For strong healing I use Mentalism /Druid as it provides great AOE Healing (+ armor and power regeneration) with 3 large instant heals.
    I consider Pig to be 'better' for group work, but as we can't have Pig /Druid, I use Mentalism.

    With Mentalism /Druid, I am also consistently third highest damage on GK group runs.

    Regarding grouping skills, I have found that they all add value and have their place and a group with priest, Bard, druid, BC and Mentalism skills in it is exceedingly strong.

    As mentioned earlier, priest is the only healing skill that I don't use for healing - mainly due to the extended casting times and the near certainty in GK that you are going to be interrupted whilst casting.
    To be honest I prefer druids over priests when it comes to healing for versatility becuase when you go down deep into gazkeep sometime those eyeball things can rek your entire day up and cut the raid short I would prefer aoe heals to anyone nearby will get healed no targeting required

  7. #47
    Senior Member Golliathe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    408 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    If I want to heal, I'll choose Priest over any other skill (Note: I'm not druid).
    That is what almost everyone does; thank you for making that point. When one skill is better than every other skill at doing something ... it just might be better?

    Necro:Fire::Mental:Priest

    Most people agree rather universally Necro sucks. This largely has to do with pets universally being in a bad spot and there is a very recent discussion about it in the necro feedback thread.

    Fire is godly when compared to necro. I think fire got overtuned with the molten veins damage (probably needs base damage reduced by 60% and mods just give a flat bonus after effect to be about half of what it is now) but is otherwise a good example of a well tuned class. It has high damage but most mobs are resistant to that damage. Additionally the skill makes lots of rage and that can make some fights way more difficult. Fire can't heal itself and it even has a completely worthless pet! Ok that's not 100% true the firewall is fantastic for warming you up in cold areas. Fire even has an out of combat sprint and necro doesn't.

    I am suggesting priest is even more overtuned relative to mentalism (and the other healing options) when compared to fire and necro.

    If I were dead wrong you would see lots of non-priest healers with another secondary. The fact remains that most people leveling to be a main healer pick priest. Why? Because it is hands down the best choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    Then I'll pair it with another skill that can heal. I use Pyschology, but Mentalism would work, I just prefer the former. Someone mentioned Pig, it would probably be the best second skill (again, I can't comment on Druid).

    I don't think that makes Priest particularly OP. One of the skills has to be the best choice for the majority.
    There is a big difference if you compare two skills and say one is 8/10/8 vs 6/6/9 (healing,utility,damage) comparatively to saying this class over here is a 9 for dps and this class over here is a solid 8.5 for damage. But in this case comparing priest to mental it is more of the first comparison than the second.

    My argument is that for healing group purposes priest makes mentalism look like a poor choice by comparison. Here are some undeniable facts comparing the two classes:

    1. Both skills have an epic attack and can be setup to be a good damage dealer.
    2. One skill has a rez the other doesn't.
    3. One skill has the ability to remove any nasty debuff you encounter and the other has nothing.
    4. One skill has 4 heals while the other has 2 (and some other skills that lock each other out - which can sometimes heal).


    5. The only thing mentalism does better are group buffs like adrenaline wave and power wave. But using those waves messes up your healing potential so be careful using them! (note: priest does not have this inferior design problem)

    Didn't someone just finish explaining that power isn't an issue most of the time? Let us remember that priest can have built in power regen when not getting hit (aka self power wave).

    Considering that % boosts also just got nerfed hardcore I think we can see why Adrenaline wave is an inferior design.Adrenaline wave is completely flawed because unless you literally designed the perfect team in mind you would never have the right mod on your adrenaline wave (unless you were playing mental/hammer : Psi Adrenaline Wave increases all targets' Electricity damage +8% for 20 seconds, Psi Adrenaline Wave increases all targets' Crushing damage +8% for 20 seconds. Note people ALSO forget to think about those mods when they look at the old hammer setup - it was very easy to stack way too much % damage increase).


    In another thread I compared two city of heroes power sets that did the same thing and one was just better. I will repeat the idea that it is poor design to have one skill be a 9 (darkness) when there is another option available that is no better than a 4 (poison). It is 100% not ok to have two game career skills to be so inherently imbalanced. You end up with everyone picking option A over option B.


    Where is the inherent downside of priest? It is a relatively new power that currently really doesn't seem have an Achilles heel relative to the other options.

    Bard has position issues and limited direct healing.
    Bc has position issues, no rez/epic attack, and limited direct healing (depending on golems mood)
    Mentalism effectively does everything you *want* to do as a healer worse than priest.

    Druid and Pig get paried with priest very often - much more so than the above three options. Why is that? What is that saying again about the path of least resistance?
    Last edited by Golliathe; 04-25-2019 at 08:39 AM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Yaffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    599 (0 Banked)
    I don't want to be rude, but you keep saying "Priest is overtuned" over and over again, even though many people have refuted your points many times. It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it doesn't suddenly become true just because you repeat yourself. The only thing you might do is mislead some people who don't know better.

    The fact that you keep stating the exact same reasons why you believe priest is the best even though people have stated why your reasoning isn't a valid reason just shows you don't want to listen to other people. It's fine to have your own opinion, but it is hard to believe you want a real discussion when you are clearly ignore factual statements about why you're incorrect.

    For example, you are still stating that epic attacks are inherently useful and powerful when it has been brought up several times that epic attacks are not always useful. I even used Agonize as an example of a poor epic attack in group play and you brought it up again stating that it's good just because it's labeled as an epic attack. Not only that, but now you have gone from saying Priest's ability to cure poison and broken bones is too good to straight up "Priest has the ability to remove any nasty debuff you encounter" when people have told you how pointless those two abilities are. This clearly tells everyone who has been trying to argue with you that you aren't listening and are just doubling down.

    I don't even completely disagree with you, I think priest is a great skill and very useful. But I disagree with basically everything you've commented about the skill. The majority of your argument comes from already believing you are correct. For example you give arbitrary ratings to different skills, and then argue based on the assumption that your ratings are correct even though you have not given any sort of metric on what these ratings are based off of. For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    Priest gets the most utility powers and number of heals, very high damage via mods, a rez mechanic AND an epic attack. Priest in this case is a 10 and most of the other options are somewhere between a 6-8 by comparison.
    You claim this rating is because of things like more healing and damage, but you clearly have not measured it. If you could provide some sort of metric to which you based these ratings on (Ex. Priest can do 1000 DPS while other support skills do 600-800 DPS) then your rating system would make more sense. Currently you are just assuming you are correct that priest is better and therefore it deserves a higher rating, and then using this arbitrary rating to argue that priest is too strong. It is fine to have your own personal ranking for the skill's strength based on what you believe, but you are using yourself as a reference for your own argument.

    Additionally, you claim some very strict facts which I do not believe you actually know are facts. For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    The fact remains that most people leveling to be a main healer pick priest. Why? Because it is hands down the best choice.
    How can you state this as a fact? Do you know this for sure? Unless if you are polling players I don't believe you would know this. Not only are you claiming priest is the most popular skill for healers, but you are also claiming you know exactly why they picked it. If you are just "Guessing" based on what you know, then it is no more valid than my belief that BC is more popular than Priest.

    It is hard to make a post like this because many people will assume I am trying to personally attack you when in reality I just want to ask you to listen to other people's comments and make better arguments if you want them to continue discussing in your threads. You've even had claims that you are outright trolling and there seem to be several people who seem upset at you (Or at least as upset as I am right now) in this very thread. If you want to continue what you're doing then fine, but if so please do not use statements I have made in the past in arguments with other people. Otherwise you are dragging me into your arguments like you did earlier.
    Last edited by Yaffy; 04-25-2019 at 10:18 AM.

  9. #49
    Member poulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    452 (0 Banked)
    One aspect to consider is that the game is designed to use two skills, not just one.
    An individual skill might be a bit 'meh', but when combined with another (& the 'right' mods) might shine / be the 'best' at a specific activity.

    e.g. Spider /Necro using 5 pets. Very frustrating to use due to pet AI and pathing issues, but surprisingly effective.

    What do we mean by 'overpowered'?
    If it relates to no downside, then try Fire /Staff
    e.g. against most melee mobs (e.g. panthers) & if you can kill them (even if in a pack) in under 10 seconds, then an AOE Fire /Staff build is supreme.
    One Staff spell makes you immune to their damage and you can farm them with impunity.

    or
    Priest /Mentalism - high damage, able to ignore cold debuffs plus unlimited flying

    Are these performing as designed?

    To my mind these are overpowered, but within the currently accepted game framework. Personally, I don't find it entertaining to be able to farm with no /negligible danger.

    If Citan thinks something is not performing as designed, then it will be changed. We've seen this a few times (Archery, Fire, Bard, Werewolf). Priest will not be exempt, but personally I think that current Priest healing is a bit 'meh' and needs a review.

  10. #50
    Junior Member Zarmengar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    142 (0 Banked)
    Achievements First Post!
    As I follow this thread, I would say; I am glad that the various skills are in fact different and not cookie cutter of other skills with different names. I get the impression the OP would like that. but I may be reading that into his posts.
    If one skill excels in another area such as healing like the OP says. That's why skills are in fact different. If you want to play a healer, go for the best skill suited for that. If that is what makes you enjoy the game more.
    I for one don't care for being a "healer" but I am currently leveling Priest and Unarmed. Using Priest as more of a combat skill than healing. Sure it may not be the best combination but I find it very enjoyable to play. Only in the mid 40's on both skills, and probably wont be a good combination towards current end game.
    The game is still in Beta. There will undoubtedly be some re-balancing in the future.
    Keep the input coming for the Devs.



Thread Footer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •