Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priest Offers Too much vs Other 'healing class' Options

Maybe I'm missing something but it really seems like priest needs a giant dose of nerf. Actually let's not do that except via proxy: can we get some buffs for the other healing/support classes?

What makes priest too good?
    1. You have more heals available than every other class with 4 heals to choose from.
    2. You have more utility (can free rez, cure broken bones, give warmth, remove poison, and passive power regen). Note that priest is the only healing class with both a rez and an epic attack.
    3. If not playing a healer you can build for silly damage especially if you go for the obvious fire synergy.

Druid gets 3 heals (no rez) [no status removal] *has nice mob debuff via rotskin*

Mentalism gets 2 heals (no rez) and passive heal waves [no status removal]

Battle Chemistry gets 2 heals (no rez), hour long buffs and limited/random passive golem healing [1 status removal]

Bard gets 1 heal (best rez in game), mez, passive song healing and short acting but powerful group effects [limited unfetter: 1/2 strength of priest in cooldown and duration]

Pig has 2 heals (no rez) , burst buffs, and fear [no status removal]

Note: Bard, Battle Chemistry and Pig lack epic attacks.

If you're still reading this the short version is that building a healer without using priest means you are gimped (in the same way that building a tank w/o unarmed means you are gimped). There's something fundamentally wrong with that because there should be multiple viable build options. I feel bad for anyone playing a support healer role who isn't playing priest.
    Last edited by Golliathe; 04-11-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggestions on how to fix:
    1. Give Druid the option to rez directly at the cost of Dreva blessing points. Give druid the ability to remove at least one status oriented thing. I would love to see something unique like maybe an ability mod for pulse of life that stops damage for poison on the target for 10 seconds and reverses the damage to healing at a reduced rate (possibly something like 1 healing for every 4 damage).

2. Maybe each of the four mental waves could all prevent something? (by adding an effect to an existing mod... please don't add more mods here as some of the waves already have 13 mod effects to choose from!). As an example maybe the adrenaline wave would prevent root/stun/pin/etc while active (movement effects). Maybe power wave would prevent any negative power effects. Maybe Health wave would prevent indirect damge in combat?
    And while yes I realize these would be crazy strong (and would need a mod to make them so) maybe the balance point for mentalism is that it gets no rez? Alternatively instead of thinking up convoluted ways to buff mentalsim.... maybe it should just have a rez?

3. Battle Chemistry would now have a sidebar ability to blow up the golem and revive a target player at half health (chemical rebirth). The limit here is that your golem cant be dead (which usualy happens real fast when there is trouble). Blowing up the golem triggers a healing mist effect and the dead player is resurrected 1 second later.

4. Give bard much shorter cooldowns on prety much everything but the rez OR make the durations much longer. As a balancing point consider unfetter is 30 second cooldown and 15 second duration. The bard version is 60 second cooldown with 8 second duration.

5. Give pig an animal only rez (half health). Considering pig is pretty close to top tier this change balances that out pretty well that it only gets a minor buff (unless you have many animal friends).

6. Change priest power regen mod to: if you weren't attacking in the last 15 seconds. Change all priest heals to 1 second minimum channel time. Implement priest limitation on the level of druid events.

Note: I would also suggest that 'regular' diamond rez get a slight nerf with all these new rez potentials being added : you can use a class rez in combat but you cannot use a diamond rez in combat.

Why give classes more rezzing power? Because it's too easy to just say screw having a dedicated healer, we all can rez via diamonds. In a game like this where dmg dealt has a direct effect on how much xp/loot you get per hour it does not 'pay' to be a healer (much less if you are not playing priest that quite frankly just offers way more than every other healing option).
    Last edited by Golliathe; 04-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't get it. Most classes have more of something than others. How is that a problem?

If you said Priests can heal so well that they solo bosses, or do something overpowered, then sure. But just listing what they can do?

You say they can "build for silly damage". Now that could be a problem, but I suspect you can play Fire Magic with something else and do even more (although I don' have any number to show).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    I don't get it. Most classes have more of something than others. How is that a problem?
    The problem is that there's no downside.

Priest gets the most utility powers and number of heals, very high damage via mods, a rez mechanic AND an epic attack. Priest in this case is a 10 and most of the other options are somewhere between a 6-8 by comparison. It's not good balance to have a one stop shopping class that does everything (and everything better or equal).

Imagine you could win a potion to give one of your characters +70 levels in a class, with a set of max enchanted gear. Your choices are necro and fire; Nobody is going to choose necro. It is totally not ok for one class to be super good at everything when there are much less well balanced classes that perform (in theory) the same role.

Most of the other classes don't even come close to this complete package. The damage on priest might make sense if it was limited by : only full damage vs undead/demon/construct or something like that (otherwise 1/2).
    Last edited by Golliathe; 04-11-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal experience is that priest is not a particularly effective healer (for my play style) due to the extended casting /channeling times. However, it is not bad either, rather it has its' own strengths and weaknesses like all the other skills.

I much prefer druid which does have 4 ('instant-cast') healing spells (2 AOE, 2 single target), several debuffs & one of the best nukes (Cosmic Strike) in the game and which is an epic attack also.
    Plus, Brambleskin

I am not claiming druid is any better than priest, just that it has different pros and cons.
    And that is 'good' as it adds variety and means I carry different load outs, gear and skills to suit the situation.

I can solo GK patrols with ice /druid, archery /druid, bard /druid and spider /druid. I haven't been able to do so with any priest build.
    When in groups, druid AOE heals perform especially well.

I am maxed in all those skills and use max crafted with aug gear (56 to 60 mods) so that might be skewing my perception of how each skill performs.

To my mind: priest /mentalism is the 'best' flying build and fire /priest delivers great damage, but that for utility and healing priest is the 'poor relation' to druid.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Priest is not op its all about utility and preference short and simple

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wont say a thing about Priest, since I didnt played with it too much. But Mentalism have good damge too (both burst, and sustained) and come cc (I dont kno if Priest have cc or not).

Also, if we talk about utility, how could you not mention Psychlogy, skill that have just about anything? 3 Heals, Armor and Power restoration, Taunt, De-taunt, Rage reduction, 2 longets cc in game, Poision and Fire Dot removal, and good damage. Sure, it don't have res on its own, but you can get one from First Aid, so it's not that big of a problem.

Again, I don't know enough about Priest to judge if it is, or isn't overpowered, but I don't think that other support skills are in bad position either. Maybe except BC - nerf to AOE hurt it rather badly, and since its one of hardest combat skills to obtain, I think it should be stronger.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    The problem is that there's no downside.
    I'm really starting to think OP is intentionally trolling.
    Requiring a priest gem, requiring no necro-gem, an unlock in an annoying spot in Gazluk for 60+, and cast times that can be interrupted are downsides. Not to mention the multiple skill requirements and the first unlock is in kur.

More reason why I think he is trolling:
    He says he wants to nerf priests by buffing other classes, then he slips in this doozy
    6. Change priest power regen mod to: if you weren't attacking in the last 15 seconds. Change all priest heals to 1 second minimum channel time. Implement priest limitation on the level of druid events.
    Even if he is serious-- the whole premise is flawed. Should all skills going to be equal? No. Is simply having an epic attack a bonus? No. Unless you believe mentalist is stronger fire or ice magic because of the epic attack. And the skill rez as a bonus is silly because the only other class with a rez, bard, has to get it on a drop. It's not an easy find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Priest are fine , this is obviously a troll...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. You have more heals available than every other class with 4 heals to choose from.
    Druid has 4 heals

Regrowth
    Healing Sanctuary
    Pulse of Life
    Energize (AoE and gives both health and power)

Thread Footer