Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    A few thoughts:

1. Since you roll only 4 times a week, on a limited number of items, the cost doesn't matter if you can accumulate enough phlogistons every week. Being able to get them in one day, and just playing for fun the rest of the week seems very possible to me. Working on all pieces of a set is an exception, you're likely to work only on a couple items a week, as you loot better stuff.

2. If you think the RNG is cheating on you, record every reroll and make some stats. So far it doesn't seem bugged to me, and bad sequence are always likely to happen. The fact you remember them is completely psychological and is a super-common bias.

3. The true measure of difficulty is how long it takes, starting from a set with random mods, to obtain a perfect set. Making a perfect set of purple gear is much, much faster than a perfect set of max-enchanted yellow gear. I believe the game is balanced around you using the former.
    1. WRONG! Rolling always costs phlog therefore it always costs you money (you could have sold those items or sold the phlog).

2. Im aware of the bias you think might be influencing me. But I just rolled on numerous items in the past few days and so did a friend. These weren't made up numbers.

3. Purple-yellow is irrelevant to the discussion. Making yellows is fine and Im not bothered by the difficulty there. But rolling A-B-A-B over and over again makes me and others just want to not bother.

4. It should not take an estimated ~18 weeks to get your gear rolled correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transmutation is fine as is. If you want to min max the best possible gear, then it should be extremely expensive and hard.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Transmutation is fine as is. If you want to min max the best possible gear, then it should be extremely expensive and hard.
    I'm so glad Citan disagrees with you.

Now I will say that getting gear overnight is silly.... but so is the 19 week aspect.

On that note thank you as a developer for posting. Could you share any insights as to what might change?

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    One of the Transmutation changes in the next update is a way to see what you're rolling for. I suspect one of the problems people run into is that they're trying to roll something that simply isn't available on that item, for one reason or another -- be it bugs or just misunderstandings of what can show up where. So this will help expose problems. And beyond that, seeing what's going on will let people plan better.

Here's a prototype of what I'm working on. Basically it just pops up a custom "book" screen that lists each possible outcome, and the odds. Eventually we'll wire it into a nicer-looking UI, but for now I just want to make sure the info is available.

There are other changes as well that are still in development.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    One of the Transmutation changes in the next update is a way to see what you're rolling for. I suspect one of the problems people run into is that they're trying to roll something that simply isn't available on that item, for one reason or another -- be it bugs or just misunderstandings of what can show up where. So this will help expose problems. And beyond that, seeing what's going on will let people plan better.

Here's a prototype of what I'm working on. Basically it just pops up a custom "book" screen that lists each possible outcome, and the odds. Eventually we'll wire it into a nicer-looking UI, but for now I just want to make sure the info is available.

There are other changes as well that are still in development.
    I like that, it's a nice quality of life improvement.

The issue I mostly find though, as someone else stated is that it tends to go A,B,A,B,A,B,C,A,B,A,B when you are looking for D or E. Could it be bad luck or coincidence?, Sure. ( It happens a lot though, like 50 tries in a row a lot during free repair week.. Literally 50 tries btw, this is not an exaggeration, 1600 phlogs is about 56 tries, and i noticed the A-B-A-B pattern hardcore). I should note that it eventually DID( about 400 more phlogs) transmute into what I wanted, so it wasn't an issue of thinking the wrong mod existed.

I am torn on transmutation, because it does allow us access to better gear FAR faster then the old, old system of farming for perfect mods( but I also feel like better quality drops were more common back then, so it almost evened out). On the other hand, the current system is pretty frustrating when you actually try to use it. Also that 4 tries per week under this system is abysmally low unless the mods are sequenced.. this would have been about 12 weeks otherwise for ONE modifier? 12 weeks seems reasonable for a complete item, but not for one single modifier.

By the way, are you aware of the BUG with transmutation where the first time you try to transmute a modifier and you get the wrong one, and click "try again" that instead of rolling the mod you just transmuted again it switches to another mod on it's own?

EXAMPLE: As In, lets say I'm trying to transmute a useless archery effect( like restorative arrow healing) into something I want to use ( like fire arrow does xxx), the first try the restorative turns into something( doesn't matter what, lets say multishot xxx...which I wasn't looking for) so I click "try again". Instead of re-rolling multishot does xxx as it should have, the mod I'm working with automatically changes into another modifier on the item, usually something I wanted to keep ( like mangling shot does xxx...which is a mod I never wanted to try and change). if you are not paying 100% attention you end up re-rolling a modifier that you never intended to re-roll.

I want to say I probably bug reported that in the past, but this might be a better place for a more detailed explanation of the problem.
    Last edited by ErDrick; 03-09-2019 at 03:14 AM.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I don't consider this to be just a "quality of life" feature because it provides probability info that isn't available any other way right now.

The system doesn't remember old mods that used to be on the item -- that info isn't stored on the item at all, and there's no way for there to be a bug where it accidentally reverts. It's just a weighted random roll. But it's weighted! It uses the same probabilities that the random-loot system uses, so if a mod is common in loot, it will be a common transmutation result too.

So if you're seeing A-B-A-B, it means "A" and "B" have very high probabilities of showing up. The exact weights for some mods may be bugged or incorrect (and this display will help us find them). But they can be intentional too. Some mods are very common (such as base-damage mods, which are weighted 5x higher than average). A small number of mods are intentionally rare. And there are some weird cases where we use REALLY high or low weights to get different effects. For instance, if you're re-rolling a generic mod on a crossbow, the odds are like 90% that you're going to get one of the three crossbow mods. (Since crossbow isn't a "real" combat skill, the only way to make sure that crossbows have good chances for crossbow mods is to make those mods' probabilities very high.)

The devil is in the details -- and that's where the bugs hide too -- so this update will make more of those details visible so we can see what's up.

RE: transmute table bug, no I wasn't aware of it, but I'll look into it, thanks. (In general, if a nasty bug is long-running, please re-submit it as a bug. It probably means we lost track of it, or think it's fixed when it isn't, etc.)
    Last edited by Citan; 03-09-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't consider this to be just a "quality of life" feature because it provides probability info that isn't available any other way right now.
    Fair enough, I love it when you go into detail like this on things. I wish you had the time to do it more often but it's understandable why you don't, you'd be on the forums 24/7. I also noticed in your screenshot it says "item durability -20" rather then 25, and that is also a step in the right direction, hopefully that makes the cut.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: transmute table bug, no I wasn't aware of it, but I'll look into it, thanks. (In general, if a nasty bug is long-running, please re-submit it as a bug. It probably means we lost track of it, or think it's fixed when it isn't, etc.)
    It would be nice to not need to go to the wiki and look at treasure effects for both classes on an item you are rollling. This will be a very nice tool for people who don't put in "extra effort".

I really kinda felt like there was a bug with the system and rolling! During item sweeps week I often had an item and I would roll a-b-a-b seemingly forever. When an item did this I stopped rolling after a few tries because I discovered it would often keep doing this on the order of 17-40 tries sometimes before getting to that D or E you wanted (several thousand phlog later; again note these numbers are not made up but references to multiple actual rerolls on an item).

On the other hand if you waited 15-60 minutes it could often be out of that pattern completely with just one more roll. That told me that you either weighted a & b to be about 70 % of the table or something was wrong.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is even harder to achieve but basically what you needed to do it if finding/crafting own gear can't settle on the first yellow you get, you literally got to wait until you get a yellow that has almost all the treasures you need otherwise you going to suffer for months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the probabilities is real nice, though I always know what I am trying to roll for as I use Niph's Json Parser (or Gorgon Explorer if Niph hasn't had a chance to update his app yet after an update) to prebuild what my ideal gear mods for a piece are to be. I realize not everyone uses these tools, so having something in game that shows what is available would be good for the playerbase as a whole.

As far as the bug for 'try again', it looks like the intent is to have the most recently changed mod moved to the end of the list and the try again used on the last mod in the list. If I stop the process instead of telling it to try again, then put the item back on the table, the most recently rerolled mod is indeed the last in the list and at that point 'try again' does reroll the mod I have been working on. I suspect then that the rerolled mod is not placed in the last position, if it wasn't there already, until the item is taken off the table, so to speak.

Thread Footer