Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    I'm still waiting on a math guy to show up. Where are you?
    It will be a lot easier to find bugs in the system when the percentages are known. I'm waiting until we have them. And btw, to be convincing you must tell us all rolls, not only those sequences that look buggy.

Edit: it would be very surprising to me if the server code uses a custom RNG. It's more likely using a standard one, tested extensively.
    Last edited by Niph; 03-13-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I,m fitting for 2 new skills and wasted some nice phlog rolling trasures, what fun that was. 3 Hammer treasure, Way of Hammer, Thunderstrike, +35% Hammer skill.
    1st roll: Thunderstrike > Hurl lightning, 2nd roll +35% Hammer > Thunderstrike, 3rd roll Thunderstrike > + 35% Hammer.

This pretty much sums it up for me how fucked up this system is. NO randomness but pre determined path for every roll, pure manipulative. If i get rid of a treasure why are you giving it back to me? It should be removed or placed on a super low % of reappearing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me take a moment to say this game has a way better system about gear/making it/improving it than practically any other game I am familiar with.

The trans/aug system you have come up with is super cool but just needs a little bit of perfecting here and there to make it uniformly balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    it would be very surprising to me if the server code uses a custom RNG. It's more likely using a standard one, tested extensively.
    My hypothesis is that something is very wrong with the RNG on the rolling and I think I pretty effectively stated why.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS View Post
    If i get rid of a treasure why are you giving it back to me? It should be removed or placed on a super low % of reappearing.
    I think we all know you are angry and upset. But after a certain point it just sounds like you are yelling and that doesn't help all that much.

As I said before : I would love to see this game have a randomized but sequential rolling system.

Looking back at the most recent problem I propsed with Joe Noob......

Needing to fix 2 slots on an item with 10 possible powers with 2 currently incorrect it would take a minimum of 2 rolls to fix and a maximum of 16 rolls. That means it would be fixed by a month. Now that might sound too short but remember we also pretended that the other 3 rolls on the item were 100% correct. It may very well take another month or two to fix the other 3 items. That sounds more reasonable to me that a player can fix any one item in about 2 months.

Maybe it can be an option to have sequential rolling at a higher phlog cost? Perhaps it is only taught to the player once they reach 80+ transmutation? This could be the best of both worlds as it gives you room for the future level cap and keeps gear currently harder to fix but makes room for end game gear to be easier (but more expensive) to perfect.

One more thought on transmutation as a whole... could we have a more uniform list of possible mods? Some skills have a median of about 8-9 while others have a median of 10-11. That makes the latter way harder to roll appropriate gear with (ignoring the A-B-A-B monster for a moment).
    Last edited by Golliathe; 03-14-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golliathe View Post
    Looking back at the most recent problem I propsed with Joe Noob......

Needing to fix 2 slots on an item with 10 possible powers with 2 currently incorrect it would take a minimum of 2 rolls to fix and a maximum of 16 rolls.
    I think one thing to keep in mind is that if Joe Noob is an actual noob, he might be quite happy with just getting a different mod instead of the most optimal mod possible. When I transmute casually, I'll transmute mods for abilities that I definitely don't want to use and keep the new mod if it does anything for me at all. I can still go from totally useless mod to totally useless mod four times but it doesn't happen all that often. And if it happens, from a casual perspective, it's not all that bad to keep a piece of old gear with better mods for a while until I can repair or, far more likely, find a new upgrade.

Fuzzily, I would like it if I knew what my odds of rolling a particular mod are. Or if there was some way to increase those odds - say use double the phlogiston to improve the odds of rolling a particular mod or even not rolling a mod... It doesn't really feel to me like transmutation is a problem at noob levels, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting great gear to have and should never be easy.. Look at EQ took a year or more to get epics. It should be hard but also not impossible. Players who go through 1000 plho for one right mod may be too much , but it is the same as going 0/115 trying to get a yellow armor piece made. It is odds and RNG. I think they shoudl be a better suystem but not so easy as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    I think one thing to keep in mind is that if Joe Noob is an actual noob, he might be quite happy with just getting a different mod instead of the most optimal mod possible. When I transmute casually, I'll transmute mods for abilities that I definitely don't want to use and keep the new mod if it does anything for me at all. I can still go from totally useless mod to totally useless mod four times but it doesn't happen all that often. And if it happens, from a casual perspective, it's not all that bad to keep a piece of old gear with better mods for a while until I can repair or, far more likely, find a new upgrade.

say use double the phlogiston to improve the odds of rolling a particular mod or even not rolling a mod...
    That's nice and all but remember that certain mods on items will hurt you. Running an all fire build? Oops! The wrong mod will make Calefaction reduce your damage by 20% (in terms of lost dmg from the usual buff). By the time I was 50 when I didn't have trans/aug gear had to have at least 2 mods that I needed or it got trashed. Certain pieces were 3 mods or gtfo.

If you care remotely about not having crappy powers I think that's probably what most people gravitate towards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    One of the Transmutation changes in the next update is a way to see what you're rolling for. I suspect one of the problems people run into is that they're trying to roll something that simply isn't available on that item, for one reason or another -- be it bugs or just misunderstandings of what can show up where. So this will help expose problems. And beyond that, seeing what's going on will let people plan better.

Here's a prototype of what I'm working on. Basically it just pops up a custom "book" screen that lists each possible outcome, and the odds. Eventually we'll wire it into a nicer-looking UI, but for now I just want to make sure the info is available.

There are other changes as well that are still in development.
    This looks wonderful! I dumped a little over 1K nice phlogistion into one piece during the no-damage event rerolling a single slot unsuccessfully. Having some indication of the expected % chance would be great to know whether or not to complain or file a big report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gchristopher View Post
    This looks wonderful! I dumped a little over 1K nice phlogistion into one piece during the no-damage event rerolling a single slot unsuccessfully. Having some indication of the expected % chance would be great to know whether or not to complain or file a big report.
    Now this I can work with , I like the a hell of alot betetr than the system now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people who are wanting to make a piece with perfect mods after 1 repair (8 rolls) really aren't understanding what the implications would be making it this easy to attain a perfect piece. I mean I can already get about half my gear to 80-90% of what I want within 8 tries (no wait) with the current system.
    Last edited by Jarlaxle; 03-25-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    The people who are wanting to make a piece with perfect mods after 1 repair (8 rolls) really aren't understanding what the implications would be making it this easy to attain a perfect piece.
    Who asked for that? As far as I'm aware... nobody did.

According to the picture about 3 posts up we see that everything in that list is on an equal chance. That's not what we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gchristopher View Post
    I dumped a little over 1K nice phlogistion into one piece during the no-damage event rerolling a single slot unsuccessfully. Having some indication of the expected % chance would be great to know whether or not to complain or file a big report.
    And here's another person who obviously did not have rng on their side. Over 1k phlog is something like 29 rolls. Please don't tell me you think it is acceptable to spend 29 rolls to get ONE skill you want on a piece of armor (remember he failed to get the skill he wanted).

Lets say he got what he wanted on the 30th roll. That's 7 weeks to fix one stat on the item. Should it take 35-42 weeks to fix an item you want? I think the answer is a resounding no.
    Last edited by Golliathe; 03-25-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Thread Footer