Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Permanent Character Alteration Concern(s)

I've been thinking about what I want to do in PG during this alpha phase, but one thing that I'm really on the fence about is Permanent Character Alternations (PCA's)--namely, for me, druidism. Now, first, I want to say that the general idea of PCA's is great, imo. I get them and their purpose. I actually like the idea that some decisions you make are permanent--like choosing a specialization in a tradecraft. Even though other MMO's almost always offer a way for you to revert your decision (sometimes for a monetary cost, sometimes at the cost of all progression down that path), I don't even necessarily mind that PG doesn't appear to plan on following suit.

However, this is what's bothering me: if this change is, in fact, permanent, it would require me to level another character in a different (opposing) skillset in order to test this other aspect of the game. Basically, what I'm saying is that knowing that, it is discouraging me from playing (and, in effect, testing a certain aspect of the game during this stage of development), which I feel is counter-productive.

Now I am new to PG, so correct me if I'm wrong! Using Druid as an example, there doesn't seem to be anything you're locked-out of by learning druidism. If, in fact, you can learn all PG skills regardless of PCA's like druidism, then I've written all of this for nothing. But if becoming a Druid now locks me out of vampirism (when it's released, for example) it seems like there should be an option to abandon druidism in favor of vampirism...at least during this alpha/testing phase.

Sorry for rambling a bit--I'm at work and had to get this out of my head!
    ありえないことがありえない・・・

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for now you can learn all skills and non of the, will lock out others. We know that there will be specializations down the line that might lock you out of something, but for now thats all we know.

From what Citan said up to now he dont plan on makign it impossibel to learn one skill, if you picked other. For example werewolves and druids are kinda incompatybile, since they gods are at odds with each other (Deva being goddes of balnce, while Norala represnt chaos). If there would be limitatiuosn as to what you cna learn, it would be mentioned specializations, and time. Basilcy high-end lv of skill woudl requie a lot of time investment to learn/level up. Its starting to get visable, with hwo much lv 70 unlock cost as compared to lv 60 ones.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Lidocaine! This topic has been well-discussed in the past It's good to move the discussion here as well, so thank you for posting! Here are the previous threads from the Old Forum that can inform you of others' opinions on the subject, as well as Citan's opinion. As for Druids, in the future you will not be able to use Druid and Lycan combat skills at the same time. That is as much as I can recall.

Chronologically:
    Permanent Animal Forms 1
    Permanent Animal Forms 2
    Permanent Animal Forms 3
    Permanent Animal Forms 4

The topic has many different starting points but the threads eventually become about the effects of permanency. What do you think?
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is definitely a game that is made around decision making. Choices have consequences in this game. I'm hoping that every new player reads Auth's compatibility skills
    chart before getting too far into the game. Otherwise you are stuck with your choices. We've all made those mistakes. Heck the first toon I ever made got turned into a Cow (back in 2014). I saw the flashing signs all over the screen and still went into the room.

Citan isn't going to allow you give up being a Druid when Vampire comes out. Skills are not (at this point) getting wiped when the game launches. It doesn't make any sense why he'd allow you to just drop a permanent choice decision for another permanent choice decision because it's alpha.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the druid decision! Most players enjoy being druids. The flight advantage is real. The group events provide druid cohesion. There is very little reason to not be a druid.

There are very few non-druids in game. I am stubbornly a non-druid. For myself, it's been a choice akin to the choice some players make to play hardcore. As I've watched the majority of my friends fly off into the clouds, I have chosen a different path. It's muddy. It's cold. It's got mobs in the way. And it challenges me.

Someday I may make an alt that is a druid. But living for something that's months or years away.... We don't know what's going to happen with Project: Gorgon; playing is more important than overthinking things. Make the decision now. Enjoy the game the way you want to.
    Last edited by Greyfyn; 02-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfyn View Post
    Ah, the druid decision! Most players enjoy being druids. The flight advantage is real. The group events provide druid cohesion. There is very little reason to not be a druid.

There are very few non-druids in game. I am stubbornly a non-druid. For myself, it's been a choice akin to the choice some players make to play hardcore. As I've watched the majority of my friends fly off into the clouds, I have chosen a different path. It's muddy. It's cold. It's got mobs in the way. And it challenges me.

Someday I may make an alt that is a druid. But living for something that's months or years away.... We don't know what's going to happen with Project: Gorgon; playing is more important than overthinking things. Make the decision now. Enjoy the game the way you want to.
    I think Flight is the only reason people chose being a Druid awhile back. New players might chose Druid now because of flight and Druid events. I don't know of anyone uses Druid in their max combat builds. The beauty of the Druid decision is..as you have said...you can make alts for opposing builds. People who only ever like to play one toon in a mmo are going to have problems with PG.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfyn View Post

There are very few non-druids in game.
    (Just quoting Greyfyn for the relevance to what I wanted to say...)

As far as being a druid, some new players tend to rush for this..

[not knowing where to get it]
    [not knowing where Sunvale is]
    [not knowing where in Sunvale it is]
    [not knowing how to get there without being mauled 58 and a half ways to Sunday]

.. not to mention ignoring or simply not heeding the weight of the word 'permanent'.

Others may think "this is a throw away char anyway, I can always redo". This is a fine outlook/point of view. I myself on my 'main' have opted to learn every skill available, while sticking to a handful on alts. Being a wolf/druid, (which SOME people simply decided it was impossible to be without trying), is completely possible. Our in-house lore keepers have tantrums about this due to the fact that the deities presiding over these skills are enemies, but I digress.

To get to the point though, I feel perhaps this skill should be harder to obtain. I think more of an emphasis will be placed on the whole 'permanent choice' and 'irreversible' nature of this skill at some point in the future.

For the time being, going druid isn't the worst decision a new player can make, it's not even bad at all, really.

- It lets you try out being a deer for one, which is nice, without the annoyance of having to dispel it.
    - With burst attacks, AoE attacks, heals, buffs and being able to combine this skill with certain animal forms, its certainly one of the most diverse skills currently in the game. The drawbacks or 'debuff' during events can be frustrating if you're in the middle of something else, but beyond that, its pretty cut and dry.
    - As for flying... I feel this is beyond the horizon in terms of just starting out, so I wouldn't put it down as a lure. That being said, it does present the option of flying without the need of a Word of Power or Bat form.

As Grey said, there is very little reason to not be a druid. Referencing the whole 'locked out' scenario, I can't say for certain if there will be skill clashes in the future, (I certainly hope there is at some point), but for now it is what it is. You can play selfishly skill wise and use whatever is in the game at the moment. However, if our ultimate goal is to test the environments and what has been laid before us then you should take every opportunity and have a go of everything because why not!
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The topic has many different starting points but the threads eventually become about the effects of permanency. What do you think?
    Although this has to do with animal forms and curses, specifically, what Citan mentions in this quote (below) makes perfect sense to me, and an example, in my opinion, of a perfect way to implement a "permanent" change:

The old thread was discussing the idea of having to lock into your animal form permanently in order to raise the skill past level 50. I've thrown that idea out as being impractical, but I still want to dis-incentivize people from switching constantly.

So the new plan is pretty simple: when you cure the curse, you'll also lose any level-cap-increases you've bought for the skill.

Say you're a cow who has bought the level 51-60 skill-cap-increase, and you're level 57 in the Cow skill. Then you decide to abandon Cow form. If you later become a Cow again, your skill cap will be 50, not 60. You will have to re-buy the level-cap-increase from the trainer.

However, you don't permanently lose XP. In the above example, once you bought the level-cap increase, you'd instantly go from level 50 to level 57 again.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    This is definitely a game that is made around decision making. Choices have consequences in this game. I'm hoping that every new player reads Auth's compatibility skills chart before getting too far into the game. Otherwise you are stuck with your choices. We've all made those mistakes. Heck the first toon I ever made got turned into a Cow (back in 2014). I saw the flashing signs all over the screen and still went into the room.

Citan isn't going to allow you give up being a Druid when Vampire comes out. Skills are not (at this point) getting wiped when the game launches. It doesn't make any sense why he'd allow you to just drop a permanent choice decision for another permanent choice decision because it's alpha.
    I think you might be misunderstanding where I'm coming from. Choices should have consequences, etc. etc. However, the compatibility skills chart doesn't address my concern. I'm all for permanent character alterations, however (and I don't know if this is the case or not) there should be some sort of interim period before you make a choice permanent that would specifically limit your skills/abilities on a character. You can "preview" an animal form without making it permanent... but is the same available for druidism? Or Lycanthropy? (I'm really asking.) Your example of your first char being turned into a Cow isn't permanent though--is there not a potion, quest, or something to reverse the effect?

In terms of Druid vs Vampire, if it works like other skills, that's not an issue--e.g. how you can't use lycanthope skills and druid skills simultaneously.

-----

I am not even sure I want to be a druid. As I said, I just started playing recently and am technically on my 3rd or 4th character. However, given that there are purportedly not going to be no character wipes, I'm more inclined to play like it's a feature-complete beta preparing for launch as opposed to doing things just for the sake of doing them, testing them, and seeing how it turns out. But, as this is an alpha, I felt it necessary to at least bring up the issue of decision permanence as a whole on these new forums.

Sidenote: I really don't wanna start debating the differences between the parameters of different development phases, but found it necessary to at least bring it up.

Also...! I don't really want the flight/deer forms of druid, tbh. From browsing their skills on the wiki, it sounds like it'd be very fun to play... with the damage shields and buffs and whatnot. But hey, I haven't even unlocked Mentalism yet, so I really have no idea what I wanna do with my PG life yet. lmao
    ありえないことがありえない・・・

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was never really a fan of the whole "pay twice" to unlock skillsets thing for animals, especially, as at the time, animals were limited in who they could sell their items to. I'm still hoping animal players can eventually remove themselves from the gold-based economy for a different style of play, but that might be impractical as well.

At anyrate, one of my favourite ideas discussed for choice & consequences is to have some sort of slider - Nature <---> Civilisation, for example. If you're maxed out on nature, you can use druid skills and such, but won't have access to the perks Civilisation might offer. By performing certain activities, you can push those bars very slowly in either direction - so if you eventually wanted to drop druid, you'd have to work towards civilisation to do so.

I was always rather gutted about Lycanthropy. There was never any trial period, and I picked it up blindly on my main because wolves. Even a couple weeks in, I regretted it, it wasn't until 6-12 months later, somewhere there abouts, that I eventually just rerolled, forsaking a tremendous amount of progress I'd made on my main.

But compared to the "permanent" animal forms? Dishing back and forward to the cow cave, buying some juices, they hardly feel like weighted consequences at all. The only restriction is animal town - and that's tedious and not particularly immersive, in my opinion (to wait "6" hours to talk to some NPCs - it just feels like an arbitrary punishment) - you're not actively working around what the curse is meant to represent. A lot of the game forces home that you're really not meant to stay as an animal a lot of the time (i.e. the endurance trainer won't talk to you unless you're in human form). Right now, at least, I think animal forms have a lot more potential than they're currently utilising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With both Lycanthropy and Druid, you are warned that it is a permanent, irrevocable decision to take the skill. It cannot possibly be made any clearer (especially with Druid, there were like, 4 prompts before it let me take it.) So unless you're one of those "Blah blah yea go kill stuff" type of questers, and don't bother to read everything, you saw the warnings. You have no one to blame but yourself for taking on a permanent choice.

Thread Footer