Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still getting used to limited skill bars

Well I've been playing the demo, trying to decide how much I'll get out of this game, but I keep getting hung up on the ability bars. Even though I'm limited to skill level 15, I already have several skills with more than 6 abilities so I can't use them all.

My first MMO was World of Warcraft, and I could put any ability, or usable object, that I wanted on any button and give them all a key equivalent—and even though it's a fixed-class system, you get a lot of abilities. This seemed entirely sensible to me, although I thought unequipped objects in bags being instantly usable was pretty cheesy.

My second MMO was Guild Wars 2, in which 5 of my abilities were entirely determined by what weapons I was using, I got exactly one (self) healing ability, and then 4 utility/"elite" abilities to choose from a fairly large set. I hated this system and lasted only a few months in the game (for that and other reasons) even though GW2 does a couple things so much better than WoW ever dreamed (such as mounts, oh man the mounts are so amazing in GW2, "sideways" progression after level cap via masteries, and multiple ways to acquire high-end gear).

Well, here I am trying Project Gorgon and I get 6 active abilities per skill, and I have to choose whole skills rather than mix and match all the abilities I know, and I'm chafing at the restrictions. (Further, my keyboard's number row has 13 keys on it (not including delete); why can't I have the whole thing be useful?) It seems arbitrary and it breaks my immersion. Some skills are clearly tied to an equipped weapon, and that makes some sense, but I can't change equipped weapons in combat, which is silly. I should be able to do that, even if it takes time (and opening the inventory window to locate the item takes time).

I can't access loadouts in the demo, of course. Do those allow weapon swaps in combat? Can I create two loadouts for the same skill, but with different abilities in them, and switch between them at any time? If so, that would pretty much address my issues. Some abilities you know better and can do faster, some you have to think about (swap to) before doing them.

I did also try to double-down on my sword skill, so that both primary & secondary skillbars have sword abilities, but no dice. A skill can be either primary or secondary.

Anyhow, if you have any thoughts on this system's virtues & flaws, or particularly advice on meeting the system where it is and still having fun, I'd love to hear from you.
    Last edited by Corax; 02-02-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixed terminology to match game's

Thread Footer