Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Update Discussion: January 9, 2019

The update notes are here: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/show...4039#post14039

Discussion is in this thread! But please remember to report any bugs through the in-game reporting system so we can track them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Necro buff was very welcome since now you dont need both pet heals in constant spam to keep a zombie alive, i had even forgot about the zombie to be honest as it was the worst skill of the class (probably the worse of the game), now its a option to use it since you merged it with the super zombie buff but the buff makes the bleed go higher so the tanking aspect of the zombie is still feeling weak (suggestion make the recast give max armor instead of max hp and keep the hp heal of the recast).

The main issue is still here skells are way too fragile and have really annoying summon reqs. Its ok for it to cost femur but you gotta choose either buff the skell hp so it wont be wiped so easily or lessen the cemetery penalty from summoing (make it summon from a single tombstone instead of 3 or remove this completely and make the skill have a longer cd). Currently its way too creepyling to lose all pets from a boss aoe with so many hard conditions to resummon it. (And i know of the archer skell free summon but it just dies again super fast and you lose the option to summon a soldier or mage skell that are much better in this case that is very annoying)
    Last edited by multistrike; 01-14-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cozycats View Post
    Put the "view everything" back in as an option. I might have something in storage that I might sell if I see an order for it.
    This is the ONLY way that I personally use the player work order boards. Clicking through so many different lists looking for a particular order that may or may not be posted is a huge time sink. I enjoyed the full-list view because I could easily scroll through the recent orders and move on if nothing caught my eye. I've only taken a single look at the new design, so I don't have great feedback, but my initial impression was being overwhelmed.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Just a note, you can still view all recent work orders like before. It's the top option in the category list.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The change to raise zombie is definitely good. Before it just bled out too fast, and since it had taunt on its attacks it would frequently end up killing itself the moment it took damage from both enemies and its own bleed.

I've been trying out Necromancy lately, and I do want to make some comments about skeletons and pets in general:

Skeletons die too easily and are hard to replace
    Even when using over leveled skeletons, they still feel way too fragile, so usually I end up resorting to using skeleton warriors since they are the tankiest of the bunch. If I try using the ranged skeletons then the moment something attacks them I have to try getting aggro from the attacker right away or else they die in a few hits.
    This is mostly a problem because the skeletons aren't really disposable. If skeletal minions could just be re-summoned then letting them die wouldn't be a big problem, but currently I have to run to a graveyard to make them again. It doesn't help that many areas don't even have a graveyard so I have to make my own, but then my gravestones despawn after sometime (And it's also extra annoying as a hardcore player). It's more punishing to lose your minions as a Necromancer than to lose your beloved pet in animal handling because at least you can revive your pet on the spot.

Suggestion: When our skeletons die, don't despawn them and instead leave their corpse on the ground, then make the "Rebuild undead" skill work on K.O'd skeletons. This would make losing pets a lot less punishing and it definitely feels a lot more like being a Necromancer. I believe this would be fair since the skeletons would die very quickly again if you're still in combat since they'd only have the health from rebuild undead, but if this sounds too useful then increasing the cooldown on rebuild undead could easily balance it out. If you want players to consume items, then perhaps reviving with rebuild undead could cost a bone per skeleton revived, or just cost a bone to use.

Additionally, the more fragile skeletons die too quickly because their health and armor are just too low so they tend to get killed in a few attacks. I know just boosting their stats lead to them being too strong passively, so how about improving their stats at the cost of player action? For example you could make "Heal undead" boost the tanking ability of minions greatly for a brief period of time like 10 seconds. This would make it so skeletons would be able to hold their own in combat, but only if the player focuses a lot of time into keeping their minions tanky. This would be excellent for keeping the player busy in pet heavy builds where the player isn't doing the fighting themselves and would prevent pets from being too strong with no effort. An alternative could be a channeled skill that boosts undead strength during the channeling time, so the skeletons are only strong when the player is occupied.

Minion damage is affected too heavily by enemy mitigation
    Minion damage is currently in a really weird spot, where their damage can either be really good or really bad, mostly because enemy mitigation affects it very heavily. In the case of necromancy, if you have three minions, then flat damage reduction from enemy armor affects them three times as much. This causes a very frequent issue where my minions will do very little or no damage at all to enemies that have a high armor pool and it's very difficult for me to lower the target's armor (Since I'm focused on Necromancy) which makes fighting tougher enemies very hard. On the other hand, when enemies have no armor, then necromancy pets actually do a lot of damage since now they're doing their full damage every attack which adds up very fast. This is also the case with other summons as well, including animal handling pets although AH pets tend to do enough damage to at least start scratching through armor.

Suggestion: Convert some damage from all pets/minions into unmitigated damage. For example if a pet does an attack for 100 damage currently, lower the attack's damage to 50, but then give the attack an additional 50 damage that cannot be mitigated by armor. This would make it so pets have a "Minimum" damage so they can always do something even to very tanky enemies, but it won't make them overpowered versus unarmored targets. This would still make pets less effective against heavily armored targets, but it would be much better than having them be completely useless. Another thing that could be done in conjunction with this change would be to give pet skills an ability that focuses on reducing enemy armor like spit acid or reverberating strike which would help them soften up tougher targets for their pets. Another way of doing this could be to give pets armor damage on their attacks.

Pets are too hard to control
    One thing that pet skills in general always feel like is lacking is the ability to control our pets better, although I know this issue can be tricky due to relying on pet AI. This is probably the biggest hurdle for pet skills in dungeons because you have to heavily focus on making sure your pets don't get your group into trouble. One stray pet can potentially lead to a wipe and it forces pet users to dedicate a lot of effort into switching pets between different control modes and positioning them. Outside of dungeons lack of control can make things a bit frustrating when your pets get themselves into trouble or act suicidal. One improvement that I think would be great would be to change the current 4 pet "modes" (Stay, Follow, guard and assist) into series of toggles instead. These toggles could be set in order to give better control over our pets. The toggles I currently have in mind are:

Stay/Follow/Keep Close: Tells your pet to stay in place, to follow a bit behind you, or to follow very closely next to you. The difference between follow and keep close is important because you want ranged pets to typically keep their distance so they're safer while melee pets should stay closer to you. Additionally there are many dungeon situations where pets trailing behind can be very dangerous and potentially jeopardize the whole party, so keeping them as close as possible will make them less of an issue.

Passive/Reactive/Aggressive: Affects how your pet attacks. Passive will make your pet never attack anything ever. Reactive will cause your pets to only attack a target if you've attacked it first. Aggressive will cause your pets to attack anything that enters combat with you or them. Reactive is the most important one here because it will make pets much less dangerous in dungeons. If pets refuse to attack something unless if you've hit it first, it will prevent pets from running ahead and pulling everything in the dungeon. Additionally it means if a ranged mob suddenly hits you, then you can pull it back without your pet running in and aggroing everything without having to set it to passive.

Protect Self/Guard me/Assist: Affects how your pet prioritizes targets. Protect Self will make the pet prioritize targets that are hitting itself first. Guard me will make the pet focus on targets hitting you first. Assist will make the pet target your current target. Protect Self is an important addition because you might want squishier pets to protect themselves over you so they don't die, and it can also be better than guard me if you don't want your pet to start tanking attacks from multiple enemies. If the pet can't find an appropriate target (Ex. it is on protect self and nothing is currently attacking it) then it should focus on your current target first. The previous toggles above take priority over these three toggles (Ex. A pet set to reactive and guard me will not attack a target hitting you if you have not hit it first)

Other than this whole toggle system, some smaller changes I would like to see:
    1. Pet movement speed out of combat should match yours or maybe even be a bit faster. This would make it a lot easier to position your pets and have them be ready for combat if you get into trouble. This could be both in and out of combat too, but then you might start seeing super sonic bears charging at enemies with +60 sprint speed.
    2. Abilities that buff/target pets should have their range increased. This is mostly an issue with Necromancy because I find if I'm using ranged minions and I'm in melee combat or if I'm in ranged combat and using melee minions, spells like provoke undead don't reach them very often which is very annoying. It's still a bit annoying with AH but not as bad.
    3. Necromancy could definitely use an equivalent of "Sic 'em" so that I can make my skeleton warriors take the charge. If I'm a squishy necromancer mage currently I have to run in and start combat first which is pretty troublesome. I think making "Provoke Undead" should make your minions attack your target if they aren't currently in combat just like Sic 'em does.

Anyways, hope this wall of text helps! I've been having a bit of fun playing with Necromancy and other pet skills recently and I do think the skills are interesting. There are some cool ways to use them (My favorite being splitting up my pets in order to cover more ground) put I can see why some people are frustrated with it too. Even now I think they can be viable at end game, but just a bit risky for dungeons due to pets potentially getting your group into trouble and how easily your pets can die. The leveling experience is a bit frustrating though and could be made a bit smoother.
    Last edited by Yaffy; 01-15-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaffy View Post
    The change to raise zombie is definitely good. Before it just bled out too fast, and since it had taunt on its attacks it would frequently end up killing itself the moment it took damage from both enemies and its own bleed.

I've been trying out Necromancy lately, and I do want to make some comments about skeletons and pets in general:

Skeletons die too easily and are hard to replace

Even when using over leveled skeletons, they still feel way too fragile, so usually I end up resorting to using skeleton warriors since they are the tankiest of the bunch. If I try using the ranged skeletons then the moment something attacks them I have to try getting aggro from the attacker right away or else they die in a few hits.
    This is mostly a problem because the skeletons aren't really disposable. If skeletal minions could just be re-summoned then letting them die wouldn't be a big problem, but currently I have to run to a graveyard to make them again. It doesn't help that many areas don't even have a graveyard so I have to make my own, but then my gravestones despawn after sometime (And it's also extra annoying as a hardcore player). It's more punishing to lose your minions as a Necromancer than to lose your beloved pet in animal handling because at least you can revive your pet on the spot.

Suggestion: When our skeletons die, don't despawn them and instead leave their corpse on the ground, then make the "Rebuild undead" skill work on K.O'd skeletons. This would make losing pets a lot less punishing and it definitely feels a lot more like being a Necromancer. I believe this would be fair since the skeletons would die very quickly again if you're still in combat since they'd only have the health from rebuild undead, but if this sounds too useful then increasing the cooldown on rebuild undead could easily balance it out. If you want players to consume items, then perhaps reviving with rebuild undead could cost a bone per skeleton revived, or just cost a bone to use.

Additionally, the more fragile skeletons die too quickly because their health and armor are just too low so they tend to get killed in a few attacks. I know just boosting their stats lead to them being too strong passively, so how about improving their stats at the cost of player action? For example you could make "Heal undead" boost the tanking ability of minions greatly for a brief period of time like 10 seconds. This would make it so skeletons would be able to hold their own in combat, but only if the player focuses a lot of time into keeping their minions tanky. This would be excellent for keeping the player busy in pet heavy builds where the player isn't doing the fighting themselves and would prevent pets from being too strong with no effort. An alternative could be a channeled skill that boosts undead strength during the channeling time, so the skeletons are only strong when the player is occupied.

Minion damage is affected too heavily by enemy mitigation
    Minion damage is currently in a really weird spot, where their damage can either be really good or really bad, mostly because enemy mitigation affects it very heavily. In the case of necromancy, if you have three minions, then flat damage reduction from enemy armor affects them three times as much. This causes a very frequent issue where my minions will do very little or no damage at all to enemies that have a high armor pool and it's very difficult for me to lower the target's armor (Since I'm focused on Necromancy) which makes fighting tougher enemies very hard. On the other hand, when enemies have no armor, then necromancy pets actually do a lot of damage since now they're doing their full damage every attack which adds up very fast. This is also the case with other summons as well, including animal handling pets although AH pets tend to do enough damage to at least start scratching through armor.

Suggestion: Convert some damage from all pets/minions into unmitigated damage. For example if a pet does an attack for 100 damage currently, lower the attack's damage to 50, but then give the attack an additional 50 damage that cannot be mitigated by armor. This would make it so pets have a "Minimum" damage so they can always do something even to very tanky enemies, but it won't make them overpowered versus unarmored targets. This would still make pets less effective against heavily armored targets, but it would be much better than having them be completely useless. Another thing that could be done in conjunction with this change would be to give pet skills an ability that focuses on reducing enemy armor like spit acid or reverberating strike which would help them soften up tougher targets for their pets. Another way of doing this could be to give pets armor damage on their attacks.

Pets are too hard to control
    One thing that pet skills in general always feel like is lacking is the ability to control our pets better, although I know this issue can be tricky due to relying on pet AI. This is probably the biggest hurdle for pet skills in dungeons because you have to heavily focus on making sure your pets don't get your group into trouble. One stray pet can potentially lead to a wipe and it forces pet users to dedicate a lot of effort into switching pets between different control modes and positioning them. Outside of dungeons lack of control can make things a bit frustrating when your pets get themselves into trouble or act suicidal. One improvement that I think would be great would be to change the current 4 pet "modes" (Stay, Follow, guard and assist) into series of toggles instead. These toggles could be set in order to give better control over our pets. The toggles I currently have in mind are:

Stay/Follow/Keep Close: Tells your pet to stay in place, to follow a bit behind you, or to follow very closely next to you. The difference between follow and keep close is important because you want ranged pets to typically keep their distance so they're safer while melee pets should stay closer to you. Additionally there are many dungeon situations where pets trailing behind can be very dangerous and potentially jeopardize the whole party, so keeping them as close as possible will make them less of an issue.

Passive/Reactive/Aggressive: Affects how your pet attacks. Passive will make your pet never attack anything ever. Reactive will cause your pets to only attack a target if you've attacked it first. Aggressive will cause your pets to attack anything that enters combat with you or them. Reactive is the most important one here because it will make pets much less dangerous in dungeons. If pets refuse to attack something unless if you've hit it first, it will prevent pets from running ahead and pulling everything in the dungeon. Additionally it means if a ranged mob suddenly hits you, then you can pull it back without your pet running in and aggroing everything without having to set it to passive.

Protect Self/Guard me/Assist: Affects how your pet prioritizes targets. Protect Self will make the pet prioritize targets that are hitting itself first. Guard me will make the pet focus on targets hitting you first. Assist will make the pet target your current target. Protect Self is an important addition because you might want squishier pets to protect themselves over you so they don't die, and it can also be better than guard me if you don't want your pet to start tanking attacks from multiple enemies. If the pet can't find an appropriate target (Ex. it is on protect self and nothing is currently attacking it) then it should focus on your current target first. The previous toggles above take priority over these three toggles (Ex. A pet set to reactive and guard me will not attack a target hitting you if you have not hit it first)

Other than this whole toggle system, some smaller changes I would like to see:
    1. Pet movement speed out of combat should match yours or maybe even be a bit faster. This would make it a lot easier to position your pets and have them be ready for combat if you get into trouble. This could be both in and out of combat too, but then you might start seeing super sonic bears charging at enemies with +60 sprint speed.
    2. Abilities that buff/target pets should have their range increased. This is mostly an issue with Necromancy because I find if I'm using ranged minions and I'm in melee combat or if I'm in ranged combat and using melee minions, spells like provoke undead don't reach them very often which is very annoying. It's still a bit annoying with AH but not as bad.
    3. Necromancy could definitely use an equivalent of "Sic 'em" so that I can make my skeleton warriors take the charge. If I'm a squishy necromancer mage currently I have to run in and start combat first which is pretty troublesome. I think making "Provoke Undead" should make your minions attack your target if they aren't currently in combat just like Sic 'em does.

Anyways, hope this wall of text helps! I've been having a bit of fun playing with Necromancy and other pet skills recently and I do think the skills are interesting. There are some cool ways to use them (My favorite being splitting up my pets in order to cover more ground) put I can see why some people are frustrated with it too. Even now I think they can be viable at end game, but just a bit risky for dungeons due to pets potentially getting your group into trouble and how easily your pets can die. The leveling experience is a bit frustrating though and could be made a bit smoother.

hello,

as a fellow practitioner of the dark arts I totally agree with the all the above.
    the update was a definite improvement but dark spots are still in place.

please improve the skeletons creation and implement a "Sic 'em" for the undead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorKazim View Post
    hello,
    please improve the skeletons creation and implement a "Sic 'em" for the undead.
    I am not sure that we want a clone of animal handling here. Besides, which one of your potential 3 minions will sic'em?

The zombie changes, without doubt are most welcome.

There is I am sure a good reason for having to re-summon your pets at a graveyard. But there is this pain point on necromancy pet death, which makes you feel a little useless. I feel this should be eased somewhat - but not eliminated. That necessary trip to a graveyard at some point is a vital lifestyle mechanic that I would hope to remain. What exactly happens when your pets die now though, is quite a jar and there a multitude of solutions to it (posted before) - None of which necessarily have to mean having an easy time of it like animal handling - and which still use the graveyard system.

In short necromancy *feels* a lot better now, but with one remaining pain point, the pet death in the field.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I am not sure that we want a clone of animal handling here. Besides, which one of your potential 3 minions will sic'em?
    When we're talking about a Sic'em equivalent we just mean the ability to command our undead to attack a target. Currently as a Necromancer the only way to get your minions to attack something is to take the charge yourself or get hit, which is a bit weird seeing how both the skeleton warriors and the zombie seem to be intended to take damage for you and should be able to be sent in first. In this case I'm suggesting that "Provoke undead" would cause all of your undead minions to attack your selected target if they aren't in combat but otherwise be unchanged.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaffy View Post
    When we're talking about a Sic'em equivalent we just mean the ability to command our undead to attack a target. Currently as a Necromancer the only way to get your minions to attack something is to take the charge yourself or get hit, which is a bit weird seeing how both the skeleton warriors and the zombie seem to be intended to take damage for you and should be able to be sent in first. In this case I'm suggesting that "Provoke undead" would cause all of your undead minions to attack your selected target if they aren't in combat but otherwise be unchanged.
    I see what you mean. I don't miss that with necromancy as I use it with fire, and I "simply" root the enemy with the necromancy root. It might be a bit unfair or unbalanced to have 3 minions run at an enemy with no risk on yourself. Similar story with deer and ice blob thing. it might be too much of a good thing if you can direct them. But, you may be right in your thinking.

It's a different story with animal handling. It really is all about the (single) animal with that skill. I "need" sick em so I can use it with knife fighting to catch them unawares with backstab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like, if three player tombstones are enough to summon skellies, three monster corpses should be enough, too. I'm currently at 56 necro, and I only use skellie warriors with a few armor mods to put them above 600. Archers, I might pull out if I am going back to the crypt or mushrooms, but they're just too fragile. Mages? Never. If I could summon them back from three monster corpses, I'd be a bit more likely to switch it up.

Thread Footer