Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Thread: Multiple Guilds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Guilds

I saw someone else post their recent forum thread here, so I thought I should do it as well:

I have seen this idea in a few other games, and personally loved it, for a few reasons. The idea is simple: Allow the player to have multiple guilds. The player would then set one of those guilds as their main one. Their main guilds would be the one they could access the inventory of, and other stuff like that. However, the player would be able to change their main guild at will. I'll give you a few examples of when this idea would help:

1. Most of the time, By the time a player becomes a werewolf, they're already in a guild. This means that even if a guild for werewolves was created (I mean, Eric did say werewolves were supposed to work together), most werewolves would probably not be in it. Not only that, but with the ability to change your skills so easily, playing as a werewolf only all the time would probably get boring fast. With this system, when you wanted to play as a werewolf, you could set your main guild to the werewolf guild you're in, and play with a ton of other werewolves. When you are done playing as a werewolf, you can switch your main guild back to the guild you usually play with.

2. I have seen a few people interested in working on surveying as a group, in order to do it more efficiently. Someone at one point said on global that they were making a surveying guild in order to help with organizing stuff like that. I, personally, would love to join a guild to work together for surveying, but not if it means I cannot stay in a guild that also does dungeon runs. Yes, it is possible to just organize stuff like that in global, but there are already times when global chat runs a mile a minute, nevermind when the game goes on steam. It's a lot better to create a guild, so only the people who are interested have to get spammed with it.

3. Right now if you join a bad guild, you'll generally stick with it because a) you found a few friends, and/or b) you're afraid of not being able to find a better one, and then never being allowed back into your old guild, and/or c) You've never been in another guild, so you don't realize that yours is bad. If you were allowed to be in multiple guilds, you would be able to try out other guilds and find which one is best for you, without having to leave your current one.

4. Let's say you happen to be a part of a gaming group, but joined PG on your own. You found a good guild, made some new friends, and enjoy being a part of it. So you tell your gaming group about PG, and a bunch of them want to join. However, they want to create their own guild, and you don't want to leave your current one. If you're allowed to join multiple guilds, np. If you can only have one guild, gl.

5. Allowing people to have multiple guilds would actually seriously encourage the growth and creation of new guilds. Right now, joining a new guild means you're stuck with that guild's small inventory and limited ability to do guild quests. This means that most people will probably not want to create or join a new guild when they can join an already big and powerful one, which already has all the benefits unlocked, and a ton of other people to do the lion's share of the work in guild quests. If people could join multiple guilds, then there wouldn't be as much of a loss, so people would be more willing to do it.

Yes, for a lot of this stuff, you could use third party applications, but a) I find alt-tabbing every few minutes incredibly annoying and immersion-breaking, and b) If people are creating a Discord chat channel just for werewolves (which is basically like creating a guild, only not ingame), then wouldn't it be better to just allow them to create another ingame guild?

I would imagine the guilds would be account-wide. I would also imagine that people would be able to have probably 5 guilds (1 main guild, 1-2 side guilds (like a gaming group guild), 2-3 special guilds (like a werewolves or druids or animals only guild). However, those parts would probably depend upon the vision for the game (So far, it seems everything is character-specific, so the guilds might not be made account-wide). Even if my idea doesn't make it into the final game, I hope it is seriously considered!
    Last edited by jacksin125; 01-11-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like this idea, but I think in terms of coding this may be a nightmare. I myself don't code, so I can't say for sure however. You mentioned that you've seen this system elsewhere. Out of curiosity, what other games have this system?

Also, branching from your ideas, maybe we keep the original guild system as it is, but make clans for specific professions or 'statuses', such as werewolves. So one would have their own original guild, but also have these mini profession or werewolf clans that they can use simultaneously just for the sake of a unified platform on which communication can take place, but not things like item sharing, which is reserved for guilds only.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Warlock - on top of my head - ESO. You can be part of up to 5 player-made guilds at teh same time. I dont recall every seeing this in any other mmo tho.

I like this idea - for exampel guild im in is mostly dead - beside me almost n one plays regulary atm (including guild leader) But i dont wnat to leave becasue i hope alll this peopel will come back one day.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am not transferring my response to this forum, I will say again that guilds are not the only way to make friends and have group activities. The alpha population is small enough that we all work together to make things happen. With people coming and going, guilds will tend to be mostly full of players who haven't played in a while. So here's an example--if five guilds were already in place, it is likely that you would already have mostly deadish guilds and STILL need to change guilds. If active guilds are your need, then you will pretty much need to be on the move. That's an mmo standard--it was certainly true in ESO.

Having said that, the two things that make guilds work in the first place are leadership and friends. Leadership comes in all forms--just watch Global chat and you'll be able to identify leaders. There are many who will include people in groups! As for friends, being in a guild does not guarantee anything; even with five guilds, it is probable that the people you like to play with are in various guilds that you're not in. This is all normal.

When new players come to a game, they are looking for a nice place to be and people to talk to. Guilds fit that need. However, Project Gorgon itself fills that need. So if you focus on guilds, great! But it isn't necessary to enjoy playing this game.
    Last edited by Greyfyn; 12-24-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Greyfyn I do agree with you on your point of the global community of Project: Gorgon fitting the need of guilds, however I find that statement to be only fitting for the current state of the game, and its continued state until launch. Once the game launches on Steam and if all goes well, hopefully meaning more players and a successful launch, then we'll be seeing a lot more people than a couple of hundred players on the servers at any given time. I think since the chance of the community of Project: Gorgon in the future being too large to be managed personally, the idea of a system of 'multiple' guilds being implemented is a nice idea to consider.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For guild organization it would be nice to have "houses" or "branches" within a guild. Basically a mini guild that can manage itself with different rules.

That being said, guilds appear to be in their early stages of development and it would be nice to have a blog post discussing the vision for guilds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the devs would prefer not to have multiple guilds per player, then having groups like that would certainly be another option. And as for games that have multiple guilds - ESO, Guild Wars 2, Trove, GTA Online, all off the top of my head.
    Last edited by jacksin125; 01-11-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I do like the idea of temporary or secondary working groups. Or perhaps associate levels in guilds, rather than full members?

Being locked into one guild when your friends might be here on different days is tough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main issue is how would PG deal with guild credits? If you have 5 guilds to do guild quest, it potentially can speed up getting credits faster than what was intended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would probably only get guild credits if the guild completing the quest is set as your main when the quest is completed. However, that may not even be necessary, because people may not be willing to devote the resources to a "secondary guild" (like a werewolf guild). I think it would have to be tested first though.

EDIT: not only that, but there are suggestions to make how many guild credits you get dependent upon how much you do. So if you had multiple guilds, you could get more creds than right now if you helped with every quest from every guild, and less creds than right now if you didn't help with any of the quests. As of right now, the guild system is not finished enough to worry about things like that, as they will probably be changed later anyway.
    Last edited by jacksin125; 01-15-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Thread Footer