Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refining monster critical chance

I haven't seen any comment or acknowledgement on monster crits, but the Blacksmithing recipes sure got nerfed pretty quick. I hope people see the irony as I do.

I shouldn't have to go all mathematician mode here, Gazluk is basically Monsters & Mantids by adding stupid RNG die rolls in favor of NPCs.

Currently, level 70 NPC has 10% chance to deal double damage on ANY attack. Bosses get an extra 5%.

My suggestion... max crit chance to 5%, deal +50% more damage on attacks, but do not include rage attacks. Bosses still get an extra 5%.

Looks good on paper when searching for "averages", but this is currently adding unpredictable and unsurvivable spike damage. It's worse for tanks and support combat roles, because the longer fights are drawn out, the greater the chance of being dealt a deathblow.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Orcs union representatives have been working hard with Eric about a fair deal bargain because of mistreatment of orcs in GK, looks like the talks went well and the Orcs got a more accurate level playing field.

Going to GK, before: better put on my pockets gear gonna make a killing selling loot !
    now: it's a war zone go in prepared, hopefully you didn't for go that 7th mod for pockets, because everything little thing you can do to improve your character for survival is going to count.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Increasing the DPS of mobs puts an emphasis on the tank role, and in my opinion it was needed (giving the tank a role, not the crit mechanism itself).

This said, we went through GK as a group of 4 with an undergeared cow tank and killed Golem, Heal Tester and the Gargoyle boss at 2nd level without issue. Harder? Yes, but not the horror show some people picture.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INXS View Post
    The Orcs union representatives have been working hard with Eric about a fair deal bargain because of mistreatment of orcs in GK, looks like the talks went well and the Orcs got a more accurate level playing field.

Going to GK, before: better put on my pockets gear gonna make a killing selling loot !
    now: it's a war zone go in prepared, hopefully you didn't for go that 7th mod for pockets, because everything little thing you can do to improve your character for survival is going to count.
    When a boss does a aoe Crit damage rage attack and instant kills everyone kinda defeats the purpose 729 health 1k armor and I was still instant killed and I dont even wear pocket gear except for when im sorting bank or transferring crafting mats place to place can honestly say I'm not touching bosses for a long ass time

On a side note since it wont be getting fixed for a while could they at at least increase the number of people that could be in the party to like 10 or at the VERY LEAST 8

Ps if your asking which boss it was the fire golem
    Last edited by spider91301; 09-29-2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Just Cuz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by INXS View Post
    Your view is so narrow it ignores both ends of the spectrum, focusing only on what the best nominal outcome is and disregarding the extremes. Want Gazluk harder? Fine, but make it reasonable.

Niph's post is exactly the outcome that should happen, but not every player is a (supercute :3) seasoned veteran with a complete set of gear. On top of that, coordinated crowd control can bring down just about anything by preventing it from attacking almost entirely. My groups never got so far to fight "Heal Tester" and the gargoyle demon thing.

Just curtailing the extreme spike damage is all I'm suggesting. Gazluk will still be harder, crits will still happen, but attempts to stymie one-shot wonders.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After doing a couple GK runs with the new crit system, I can say that I actually quite like it for the most part, it adds some extra challenge and rng which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing as it means I have to pay attention rather than just watching a video/movie/anime on my 2nd monitor.
    It also reduces the effectiveness of soloing (though still possible) and increases the need for a tank both of which I think are good things.

However, when a rage attack crits it feels a bit bs since it very often leads to a oneshot or near oneshot leading to a death completely outside of your control.
    For example I got a crit rage attack from the unbreakable worg the other day which dealt over 1000 damage to me, with 250 armour at the time and through extra skin which resulted in me dying. Now this didn't kill our run and in fact I was the only one to die in that particular fight, but it does feel as if there was nothing I could have done to prevent it which made it just feel cheap. Before someone starts talking about rage control, we all know how utterly useless that is when 1 singular attack completely fills the rage bar and even the best rage reduction reduces the bar by about a third, and even if it did work, does this mean that every rage attack must now be prevented just because there's a 15% (or higher) chance that it oneshots you?

So in summary I think rage attacks shouldn't be able to crit but I like the rest of the system and how it currently functions.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celerity View Post
    After doing a couple GK runs with the new crit system, I can say that I actually quite like it for the most part, it adds some extra challenge and rng which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing as it means I have to pay attention rather than just watching a video/movie/anime on my 2nd monitor.
    It also reduces the effectiveness of soloing (though still possible) and increases the need for a tank both of which I think are good things.

However, when a rage attack crits it feels a bit bs since it very often leads to a oneshot or near oneshot leading to a death completely outside of your control.
    For example I got a crit rage attack from the unbreakable worg the other day which dealt over 1000 damage to me, with 250 armour at the time and through extra skin which resulted in me dying. Now this didn't kill our run and in fact I was the only one to die in that particular fight, but it does feel as if there was nothing I could have done to prevent it which made it just feel cheap. Before someone starts talking about rage control, we all know how utterly useless that is when 1 singular attack completely fills the rage bar and even the best rage reduction reduces the bar by about a third, and even if it did work, does this mean that every rage attack must now be prevented just because there's a 15% (or higher) chance that it oneshots you?

So in summary I think rage attacks shouldn't be able to crit but I like the rest of the system and how it currently functions.
    Ok I can deal with the normal crits but the rage crit attacks need to stop

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see larger party sizes. I miss the Ac2 party size of 9 players. That was always fun.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celerity View Post
    Before someone starts talking about rage control, we all know how utterly useless that is when 1 singular attack completely fills the rage bar and even the best rage reduction reduces the bar by about a third, and even if it did work, does this mean that every rage attack must now be prevented just because there's a 15% (or higher) chance that it oneshots you?
    Rage attacks have other effects, and control is possible if you don't have 4 fire mages in your group. One of my builds in GK does it, quite successfully on trash, but not on boss, because of refresh. However, if limiting the amount of rage you add was taken into consideration by damage dealers, rage control would be perfectly doable IMO. In fact, this change is perhaps an incentive not only to play tank but also to play rage control, something that doesn't occurred to me until you mentioned it.

I hope people aren't getting sick of my "I can do it" posts. I'm just relating my experience, and yes I'm a top-geared veteran with access to all the tricks, and I invite everyone to work on them.

Eventually, when the cap goes up, nobody will play GK in full yellow gear which means it probably needs to be tuned down then. But right now, it's doable. Hard, with good reward.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with a random chance is...

...Well, one group might have wiped because the RNG just hated them while another skated because the rolls were in the right places for them.

You need alot of time to test these things. One way to normalize random effects is to have the RNG 'remember' previous rolls so that luck (good or bad) can't bend the curve for very long.

-Crissa

Thread Footer