Welcome to Project: Gorgon!


Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Member Grobyddonot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    303 (0 Banked)
    Achievements First Post!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickzMagic View Post
    Wanna know what gear you use atm? Any yellow with the mods for your abilities. Armor and combat refresh are not important enough to make interesting choices, I'd say almost every player couldn't tell you the difference between leather and cloth gear outside of 'high armor on leather?'
    Quote Originally Posted by Daguin View Post
    All of your points are already applicable to top-end content ie: gazluk armor, max enchant evasion stuff, pocket gear, the dmg. enchant in OP, etc. We all look remarkably similar as is, and there isn't much incentive to seek out alternative ("unique") gear.
    Not True. I craft my gear and then roll and augment it, creating a good set takes time, plus "any yellow" ? No, I have my different sets for different purposes, a winter set, a regular set, etc. I even used to have a separate movement speed set, but they take too much inventory slots.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickzMagic View Post
    I'd just like gear to be more than the mods it comes with. Also stacking multiple % and flat damage mods leads to insanely broken builds(in comparison to people that spread mods over all abilities) - Nerfing mods and instead adding other effects would help.
    I don't want any other effects on the crafted gear, want MOAR damage! Ofc builds are somewhat broken, it's still beta, everything will be tuned, but it makes no sense in any game, IF the crafted gear is inferior, makes crafting dead. And combat refresh itself is very important, saves my ass a lot during the fights in Gaz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaffy View Post
    You misunderstand the idea. The idea isn't to make it so unique drops are blatantly better than everything else no matter your build, it's to try and make them different and unique, so they allow new ideas to builds players don't normally use. This way they would enable more build options and choices, not limit them.
    No, I got it right, it's my experience in games. You want unique items as in an item that would enable and allow you to create a build around it. It's a question of balance, if the item and the build are not good enough, no one will bother, if it's too good, someone will optimize it and everyone will run it. And a month later you'll have some "artifacts/uniques/whatevername" that go together, synergize very well and there is no telling if the build will turn out to be overpowered as hell... At least atm we have a choice of abilities we want to have mods for and play.

    Moreover, in your example, you just want a new combat combat skill, like a pyromania(c), setting everything on fire with some large aoe fire abilites, but it'll be created with an item, not a skill itself. So, from the standpoint of a general game design, depending on your creativity and the item, it could be a lot of work to introduce some new mechanics into the game. And it'll either be overpowered or not a single player will be using it. Not a single player means not a single player, because, even if you're a fan, you will hit a wall sooner or later, like say, a monster with lots of fire resistance or immunity, so you'll change your build to something more effective and as you and the game move forward, you'll never go back to that particular pyromaniac build. Is it even worth the effort to create something like that?

    I think that having a current system with skills and mods for their abilities is a good game design for the developer, makes it's easier to look after and introduce new builds. There is a good reason we are able to run 2 combat skills at once (even 3 with a crossbow) using different kinds of damage, even the physical only is piercing, slashing, crushing...

    P.S. What you guys are talking about reminds me of games like Diablo 3 and POE.. and even a bit UO since the AOS. And in all of those games, except POE, crafting is just useless and dead. One may argue that it's dead is POE too, as you can just buy the items off the market.
    Last edited by Grobyddonot; 09-29-2018 at 11:51 PM.

  2. #22
    Junior Member NickzMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    158 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post
    it's still beta
    One of the points of a beta is for players to suggest such things

  3. #23
    Member Kryshael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    219 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post
    You want unique items as in an item that would enable and allow you to create a build around it

    Sounds like someone wants this to play like PoE (path of exile) where you build all your skills around the gear you get.

    The easiest option for me there....is to go play PoE if I wanted that.
    ~~ Brizzt ~~ a female Drow of no consequence....YET

    Fire - 70
    Ice - 70
    Shield - 36
    Unarmed - 33
    Psychology - 52
    Noob - 100

  4. #24
    Senior Member Yaffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    506 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post
    No, I got it right, it's my experience in games. You want unique items as in an item that would enable and allow you to create a build around it. It's a question of balance, if the item and the build are not good enough, no one will bother, if it's too good, someone will optimize it and everyone will run it. And a month later you'll have some "artifacts/uniques/whatevername" that go together, synergize very well and there is no telling if the build will turn out to be overpowered as hell... At least atm we have a choice of abilities we want to have mods for and play.
    Your logic applies to any sort of customization choice in this game, or any sort of RPG game. It's not a proper argument at all, because you could claim the addition of any sort of new choices could potentially be overpowered or under powered. The idea of "Everyone will use it because it's considered the strongest thing" or "No one will use it because it's weak" could apply to Project Gorgon at this very day and yet there are still people playing all sorts of builds. Of course the items will need to be balanced properly, just like anything else in this game. You're assuming that boss drops must be one of two extremes, why can't they possibly be within reasonable bounds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post
    Moreover, in your example, you just want a new combat combat skill, like a pyromania(c), setting everything on fire with some large aoe fire abilites, but it'll be created with an item, not a skill itself.
    That's not true, I'm saying that right now there are skill combinations + builds right now that you don't have any real reason to make (Since there's very little synergy between the two), or are impossible to use (Since they require conflicting equipment or forms). The idea behind unique items is that they would give you more reason to use the combination or they would enable it. It's essentially no different than the bunny hat that allows you to use ice magic, which allows you to use Bunny + Ice Magic and is impossible otherwise. There's no new skill being added, just an item that enables a combination from two preexisting skills.

    Unique items could certainly be overly complicated, there's no cap on how complicated they could be, but they could just as easily use something already present in the game. For example the idea of the stolen war golem's fist converting unarmed damage to fire is not a new mechanic. The swords you can get in Gazluk already have a property that transforms sword attacks into fire and it can definitely change how you build sword when you use it. I'm simply suggesting a similar item.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post
    And it'll either be overpowered or not a single player will be using it. Not a single player means not a single player, because, even if you're a fan, you will hit a wall sooner or later, like say, a monster with lots of fire resistance or immunity, so you'll change your build to something more effective and as you and the game move forward, you'll never go back to that particular pyromaniac build. Is it even worth the effort to create something like that?
    Once again, you're thinking there can only be extremes. Plus, I don't understand your argument. Why would monsters with fire resistance or immunity cause you to throw out your entire build? Fire mages don't toss their fire magic gear in the garbage when they bump into Illimari mobs. Why can't people switch between builds as they like? Or why couldn't a "Fire unarmed" character splash another damage type if an enemy is fire immune just like fire mages would, or just simply equip another fist weapon to change their damage type back?

    Also, keep in mind that unique items in Path of Exile/Diablo are different than a suggestion for boss items. In those games many unique items are totally random drops that you can just stumble upon from any mob, and in Path those that aren't are typically extremely strong for a huge amount of players in order to encourage players to fight end game bosses no matter their build. For example one of the end game bosses, Atziri, drops a flask which gives players bonus chaos damage, chaos resistance and life leech. Not only are these bonuses very powerful, but there's basically no reason not to use it for 99% of builds because as long as you're doing damage it's a super useful item. The devs intended to make it extremely useful on purpose as a reward to fight an end game boss.

    I believe what people are suggesting in this thread (Or at least myself) is to make it so these "Unique" items are only dropped by bosses or gained in specific ways, and then the goal is to make them simply more interesting and cool rather than aiming to make them super strong compared to everything else. Not only that, but it'd be very simple to make these unique items tied to certain skills, because skills typically have item requirements. For example Claudia's pouch is tied to ice magic, so if all it did was affect ice magic skills then you wouldn't see it on anyone but ice mages, and therefore only a small portion of players would consider using it. An example of making it a super strong boss drop to encourage players to collect it would be to make it grant 50% cold resist or something, then everyone would run it, but no one is suggesting that.
    Last edited by Yaffy; 10-03-2018 at 09:02 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Yaffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    506 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryshael View Post
    Sounds like someone wants this to play like PoE (path of exile) where you build all your skills around the gear you get.

    The easiest option for me there....is to go play PoE if I wanted that.
    That's not really the main idea, it's more just about making the items more interesting to make boss items more worthwhile than an extra 1% base damage. For example the flame basher hammer in the game would be a great boss drop because it's interesting. It wouldn't give you any reason to make a new build (You can't even use hammer with fire magic!) and it's not even a very useful effect, but it's super fun.

    As for stuff that "Enables" new builds, there's already stuff like that in PG! Things like the Bunny's familiar controller which allows ice magic is a piece of equipment which enables a normally impossible build, and a lot of people (But not everyone!) likes to pair Bunny with ice magic, and it's only possible because of 1 unique piece of equipment. You can even use unarmed and ice magic together with it in order to have two empty hands, when normally you would have to use a hand slot to use ice magic. Wouldn't this be a case of building your whole character around one piece of gear?

    I'm not asking for a PoE/Diablo scenario where characters are decked out in several uniques in order to synergize and juggle around certain mechanics, it's more about having a cool trophy to show off or simply more "Build enablers".
    Last edited by Yaffy; 10-03-2018 at 08:34 PM.

  6. #26
    Junior Member Uxtalzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    80 (0 Banked)
    Achievements First Post!
    Make the recipe ingredients rare (and I mean rare), remove the 2% break chance, put a cap of 1 improvement per 5 levels of the highest mod. That level 70 Flaming Gazluk Sword of Whatever can only be improved 14 times maximum, and the ingredient(s) needed are so hard to come by that I can't just get another upgrade in the future and slap it full of improvements immediately.

    Either that, or let the recipe not add damage, but change the damage type. My best sword, the 70 Flaming Gazluk Sword of Whatever, deals fire damage. Would be nice if let's say I wanted to change it to deal nature damage instead, but that requires changing the sword fire graphic and name of "Flaming" to something like "Earthbound".

    Whatever they choose, the recipe shouldn't come back at all in similar form to what it was. It was too easy and the risk was zero (weapon didn't matter, if you added +300 damage it became stronger than any dropped weapon ever found). It's just... really bad design.



Thread Footer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •