Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting comments /points of view, but I t think people are reading more into this than intended.

Is there an issue? I don't know, but if people can grind loot with absolute impunity /no chance of harm: Is that good for the game?
    And if it can be done a current levels, why couldn't it be done at level 100+ (or even level 30)? - after all this is being allowed by the design.

Also, we are talking about level 60 /65 mobs (not level 50) that drop Amazing skins which are very desirable /lucrative and current end-game.
    Regarding the location: Yes, it does become crowded (even with just 2 people), but off-peak EST, I can quite often have a 2-hour solo session.

Regarding the build: Yes, it is deliberately chosen and the grinding (I am there only for the skins) can be done by other skill combos, but only the staff build provides total protection with zero risk.

It might also be noted that this is not primarily about gear quality, but about how many mobs can you kill in a 10-second window of immunity. Not forgetting, you could also use Deflective Spin if needed.
    Last edited by poulter; 07-07-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poulter View Post
    Some interesting comments /points of view, but I t think people are reading more into this than intended.

Is there an issue? I don't know, but if people can grind loot with absolute impunity /no chance of harm: Is that good for the game?
    And if it can be done a current levels, why couldn't it be done at level 100+ (or even level 30)? - after all this is being allowed by the design.

Also, we are talking about level 60 /65 mobs (not level 50) that drop Amazing skins which are very desirable /lucrative and current end-game.
    Regarding the location: Yes, it does become crowded (even with just 2 people), but off-peak EST, I can quite often have a 2-hour solo session.

Regarding the build: Yes, it is deliberately chosen and the grinding (I am there only for the skins) can be done by other skill combos, but only the staff build provides total protection with zero risk.

It might also be noted that this is not primarily about gear quality, but about how many mobs can you kill in a 10-second window of immunity. Not forgetting, you could also use Deflective Spin if needed.
    There are several builds other than staff that have near damage immunity to certain level mobs. Playing Cow lately, in many lower level areas (Wolf Cave included) I have to occassionally use a cooldown or slightly care while trampling over monsters like this. There are just lots of really tanky builds, really high damage builds, etc.
    It takes REALLY big hits, like Gazluk level, to bring an unhealed tank down. And I know my Cow doesn't do the damage of a lot of other specs I have played, but Staff+Fire wouldn't be much of a competitor for top tier glass cannon specs either. This game is just kind of weird in this way, like many old MMO's, it doesn't force everyone to run % mitigation builds and slowly get devoured in any zone.

I feel like our testing is getting way too hyperfocused on content that is irrelevant. I can hardly even remember using an item from Wolf Cave seeing as how leveling is so fast in this game I was just aoe-ing to 70 on most skills. We are all focused on maxing skills, making money, and maxing more skills while also getting to play with friends and such. Too much time in a small room can get you to thinking everything else is small too, which is kind of how our mindset as players has gotten. I don't mind that you brought up the subject and, honestly, wouldn't mind if most topics were brought up. I am just not sure that a serious concern needs to be the length of damage immunity combos if you can kill the thing in 10 seconds - I'd hope that most actual even level dungeon mobs take longer than 10 seconds to kill if properly designed. Otherwise it should only take 2-3 seconds for a group (or much less) and that seems trivial to be honest. It obviously wasn't a very hard fight. Many MMO's have had abilities (I'd say nearly all the ones I have played) with long immunity to damage or immunity to "x" or some other awesome ability with a longish cooldown. I'd be more concerned if players could kill mobs in Gazluk rapidly (not just random strategies to pull solo dungeon enemies over and over for level 75+ gear mods) as a solo player while remaining damage immune. I wouldn't put it past some builds to already be doing this and I just don't have staff on my radar as one of them because it relies so much on this one cooldown to do anything that unique.

Case in point, I am pretty sure my cow build (no 2nd spec) can solo that entire zone and I have basically done so for guildies (by basically I mean someone was along collecting loot :P). Many players did the same for me when I was starting off and I rather enjoyed how weird this game was (in the most complimentary way) because they didn't hyper focus on balancing EVERYTHING and homogenizing any outliers until it all felt the same. Lots of players do the same with Archery, Lycan, etc. There are just a bunch of really good skills that did, or still, outclass other ones at lower levels (anything below Labs and Gazluk) because of various issues like "HP of mobs or bosses vs. player damage potential", damage output of mobs, etc.

I used to watch Staff/Archery and Staff/Fire do large aoe pulls at panthers a year ago and nothing has been changed, because its just really low level and a dozen other builds can solo it too (which is the case for Wolf Cave, although it is higher in level than panthers so obviously more on your radar). I know that Wolf Cave can drop some items and skins that people would really want but I'd hate to see them include annoying monsters in nearly every pull in zones and dungeons (like with panthers) until it is all homogenized and cute "one off" builds designed by players specifically for soloing lose all their cuteness and use. What ends up happening as a side effect of long term balancing this way is it is REALLY fricking hard for developers to make skills unique and random in a game like this (with essentially infinite builds) and the "safer is better" approach can take over. Those are the games I quit. So I will in many cases argue against repeated changes in one direction if I feel the game will become boring and next thing I know I will be towing the line with everyone else in Gazluk or bust.

I was fine with the panther nerf despite having used it a lot (along with a huge portion of level 70 players). But if every spot or just overall every type of immunity gets trashed until we are left with people feeling like they should run heal-bots to effectively solo, I'd be a bit sad. So I know my counter argument is a bit of a "slippery slope" type thing, and I'm not disrespecting yours at all, I just really hope the "imbalanced" nature of low level play never goes away because I rather enjoy it and then running into Gazluk and facing some "real" damage very quickly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matter of fact,if you could go back in time and take 85-90% of the nerfs we've had and just use the time elsewhere the game would have been better for it.
    1.The game would be done by now,and
    2.We'd have a vast set of diverse,powerful and unique builds to play.

You folks forget that most of the nerfs we've had that weren't related to gamebreaking bugs we're done directly to combat how much damage was being dealt and to avoid having to increase mob health.
    Talking back when the meanest troll in WN had 800 hp.Yeah they got a bit bigger since then anyway but now we don't a lot of interesting mods anymore off the back of that with not much to show for the time used.

After mulling it over I think all this nerf talk boils down to how much damage folks are seeing,in which case there's a real easy fix.
    Remove Transmutation as a skill from the game.All gear that was modified with transmutation gets straight deleted.
    You see so much damage because of the ubiquity of certain damage mods and the ease with which you can just shove the lot onto a piece of gear in very little time.
    Hell,add back in single skill belts while you are at it.There's a reason why going with a single skill was a thing even,so you could get the mods you wanted easier.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole " grind loot with absolute impunity /no chance of harm" just isn't an issue. How is it any different from "Grind loot and get hit some" ? Even if you die, Who cares? you lose a minute? Especially in the wolf cave, it just doesn't matter.

I ran around Gazuk for 6 hours yesterdays, just roaming the plateau. I died once and was grinding continuously. My main problem now is waiting for vendors to get more money for stacks of skins I didn't fight "with impunity". I took damage. But in the end, I can grind out a ton of materials with little to know consequences for dying. I'm using unarmed and psych. There are a lot of better combos than that for grinding mobs.

Just a non issue at this point as far as one build goes.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    I am just not sure that a serious concern needs to be the length of damage immunity combos if you can kill the thing in 10 seconds - I'd hope that most actual even level dungeon mobs take longer than 10 seconds to kill if properly designed.
    Yes, that. If you can gather and kill all mobs within a 10-second window, I think your risk of dying to them is pretty close to zero, with or without damage immunity.

FWIW, I feel you can accomplish a similar effect to the staff immunity by using aoe freeze abilities (freezing mist, tundra spikes) - freeze melee mobs in place, then step back and aoe them while they can't get into range to hit you. Slightly more chance of getting hit initially than a complete immunity, but still quite effective. The aoe freeze does feel a bit overpowered to me at times, but I don't know if it really is. I mostly treat it as lifesaver in difficult encounters - if there are mobs I can kill off in 10 seconds, I wouldn't even bother with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if i told you the same was possible with only a single skill! Heck add in priest just to click a single priest button every 1 minute, and add a fire mod --- dont even need to be a fire mage, just have the mod and appropriate level... you can be un-hittable even longer and kill any number of wolfs easily with 3 spells. BC, but as some people put it its just a travel skill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isnt this just due to the player concerned out gearing the content they are doing?
    If it want this cave, it could be the Kur wolf cave, or Animal Nexus, etc.

There will always be a scenario where an over geared player can march into an area for what they need (doesnt matter where that area is) and massacre the population. Every MMO you see this when a 'geared' player enters an area where the gear worn, out levels the content of the area. Be it an instance, open world, whatever.

Theres also nothing to stop anyone from doing it. Your not bound to a 'class' or 'calling'. You can do it too.

All that said, If I were in a position like where i saw a player doing that, and i was in a position where i couldnt id be a little miffed too.

Keep in mind:
    * That player farming is like everyone else, and bound to the reward of what they are able to sell. Every vendor has a limited coin pool, Player Markets move much slower - not a guaranteed income source when you need it.
    * If the player is farming that fast, they will likely also be finished fairly fast.
    * As someone else said (sorry, i cant seem to find the post) Thats one way to farm skins..... But if you were to farm outside, you'd get wood (hehe i said get wood), lichen, cores, skins, sludge etc. A much wider pool of items to use/onsell.
    * Theres no rush. I think this one is critical. Its natural to want a full skill/spell book asap. In PG, this means farming councils and favor.... one way or another. But goal posts will move after that. Then it'll be another skill, and another.... etc Theres the grind cycle of PG. The draw for me though, is PG kind of encourages players to go at their own pace.... fast movers get hit with 'noone to buy my crap'.... banks full of rolls, wood, etc.

If you are looking to farm, and an areas full, think about what you saw.... If someone is geared to the teeth and can do that in Gaz cave, then i can do it in..... (insert a lower tier area here)

While you wont get the same end product (say amazing skins), your kill frequency in a lower tier area may net you more nice, quality or great skins at a faster rate, the sum of which depletes the same vendor currency pools in the 1 week turn around as the player doing the top tier stuff. The end result, is your coin balance will still rise quite fast.

I guess what im saying... Theres plenty for everybody.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that aside... Try sending a message.

Code:
    /tell Farmer31 Hey, I'm trying to hunt Parasol Mushrooms.  I need five.

And they often will reply

Code:
    Farmer31: Oh, I didn't see you!  I'm looking for Rat Tails.

And now you can offer to trade them the rat tails - or even leave the rats - so they can get those, while they can avoid the mushrooms you wanted.

Another is to ask if they're going towards a certain boss.

Code:
    /t HighLevel90 Hey, I'm trying to get the Boss in the Green Zone.  What are you trying to farm?
    Code:
    HighLevel90: I need all the arts
    Code:
    /r Okay!  I'm collecting any goblin cards under level 24, too.

This doesn't always work, but when there's a high level, well, that's often basically what you need to group. And really, having a lowbie pull stuff off you is great. It's not like there isn't too much loot for everyone anyhow! The only problem comes in situations when you can't really help (like some of the poisonous zones or mobs).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    On that aside... Try sending a message.

Code:
    /tell Farmer31 Hey, I'm trying to hunt Parasol Mushrooms.  I need five.

And they often will reply

Code:
    Farmer31: Oh, I didn't see you!  I'm looking for Rat Tails.

And now you can offer to trade them the rat tails - or even leave the rats - so they can get those, while they can avoid the mushrooms you wanted.

Another is to ask if they're going towards a certain boss.

Code:
    /t HighLevel90 Hey, I'm trying to get the Boss in the Green Zone.  What are you trying to farm?
    Code:
    HighLevel90: I need all the arts
    Code:
    /r Okay!  I'm collecting any goblin cards under level 24, too.

This doesn't always work, but when there's a high level, well, that's often basically what you need to group. And really, having a lowbie pull stuff off you is great. It's not like there isn't too much loot for everyone anyhow! The only problem comes in situations when you can't really help (like some of the poisonous zones or mobs).

Let me throw some anecdotal evidence on the pile! I am usually wrapping up my evenings by doing a quick treasure tour of the goblin keep, usually stopping at or around the bear boss. I significantly out-level the area but I need the councils and at this time of night I am winding down for bed so I also don't need anything that challenges me. When I encounter another player I will usually but not always send them a group invite, however before killing a boss I always check the area to make sure there isn't another group moving in on that boss. I dont want a group of level appropriate players to have to wait for a fresh respawn, it happened to me and my friends a few times and it can get frustrating when you have worked hard to clear an area and someone rushes in and 2 shots your objective.

I guess my goal of posting is to let people know that if you are going to farm stuff significantly below your level that is fine. I see no reason to waste developers time trying to stop this behavior. I will say dont be an asshole about it though. If you pull too much (maybe you got 5-6 mantis's and are getting chain stunned) dont make it someone else's problem. It is much easier for you to clear back to where you were than it would be for level appropriate people. Also dont swoop in and steal a boss spawn. Take 10 seconds and make sure nobody else is waiting/working towards that boss, you will all get the same amount of loot so just group up for the kill and then continue on with your farming.

Also, I have found it to be very productive to be clear about your intentions in that dungeon. I have teamed up with plenty of people who were trying to level their goblinese while I am just along for the vendor junk. Grouping up worked well for both of our goals.

Thread Footer