Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AOE grinding for skins (with total immunity to damage from mobs)

By using fire AOE and a single staff skill (Blocking stance) it is possible to farm the Gazluk wolf cave (Tower view) with total immunity to monster damage IF you can kill the monsters within 10 seconds.

I suspect that this capability is not a desirable outcome for the game, so will leave it to the devs to comment whether this should be considered an exploit.
    Personally, I believe that it is 'legal', but that the mob damage types need to be varied (e.g. add a fire or sonic attack) to prevent it.
    It does however, require very good gear, so many players might not be able to do it. If you can 3-shot kill a single mob with AOE spells, then you probably can.

Method:
    Identify mobs that only do physical damage (crushing, slashing or piercing). These are typically wolves, wargs, panthers(?), etc.
    Equip your fire AOE build with Staff as your secondary (no staff mods required)
    Go to your preferred location
    Gather a few mobs together
    Cast Blocking Stance (you get 10 seconds of immunity to their damage type)
    Cast fire AOE (especially Fire Breath) - kill all the mobs within 10 seconds
    Loot /skin dead mobs
    Rinse and repeat

In Gazluk wolf cave I soloed 6 mobs at once for zero damage (the maximum that I was able to gather for one fight). All mobs died in 2 or 3-shots.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been many threads on how AOE was first exploitive, and then nerfed. I think it's in a decent place right now.

While you can do this with fire, and take no damage, I can do the same with Unarmed and Psycology. And I would assume a lot of others combos work as well. I take damage, but it's gone in 10 seconds after the fight. Wolves and wargs are pretty easy mobs at Level 70 with good gear. The problem is never killing, just finding enough to kill. If even two people are in that cave, you are mostly running around fighting 1-2 mobs at a time.

It's easy to farm because of the factors you mention: lower hp mobs, no nasty attacks, all physical. You've found a good combo for it. Staff is designed to have mitigation, fire is designed to have AOE burst damage. So I think it's a case of you just picking the correct weapons for the area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that worries like this can get so paranoid that they lead developers to make all the classes or fights like World of Warcraft (homogenized, is the word I hear most often). Listen, there is always going to be something REALLY effective. Panthers was an example - now nerfed. I have no feelings about it one way or another (panthers that is). In this case talking about general abilities and spreading these fears to every area I begin to wonder where this community worry stops. Listen as long as root effects, stuns, +mitigation (not %, well even %), resistances, etc. exist then stuff like area of effect is really good. Taking the argument further there are people who solo General Pask and other content that is more "solo boss fight" type stuff (whether intended or not) and get super geared from it really fast.

With some builds if you are good you can solo higher level dungeons (Lab and Gazluk for example: in certain areas, or most of it for some people/specs). We are beginning to WAY outgear stuff and the devs have admitted this more than once - this is why they are thrilled to get the much higher level cap content in. They just need time. We are like sharks in a goldfish pond at this point. We have destroyed all the content, maxed our gear, and become effective enough to run over content in about any zone.

In your example you are talking about an overgeared level 70 on both specs destroying level 50 content: of course this will happen. I effortlessly fast clear the same areas with battle chemistry/fire; cow+ anything; my friends do so with lycan (and murder boss enemies nearly instantly, highly fair right :P) or any number of probably 30+ spec combinations not because we are some godlike skilled players but we have level 70 gear mods, yellow gear in every slot (or w/e you need, its usually not even that to be honest), maximized 7 mod gear on the armor slots and sometimes weapon, make pretty smart decisions, players share information to make this process faster, share resources, etc. A nearly limitless number of reasons we are running over content and will no matter how many nerfs. If they destroy our AoE builds completely (they haven't) then we just switch to builds that can pump out high single target damage and kill 1 dungeon mob after another in 1 hit.

If this logic, "we are too effective at x" is applied to all or many areas it begins to degenerate and start to effect developer thought process. I'd only ask that they be careful about nerfing stuff now before we reach higher level content. Didn't they say like level 150 is max at some point? We are getting level 100 before the end of the year (most likely, launch) - wow! I'm excited to get run over by monsters - thrilled even. So I'd say we stall any more worry about being too strong in lower level content until we see what class changes and new content is ahead. I'd be more worried if a build was easily soloing all of Gazluk keep in a fast and efficient manner (I have not heard of this, but I'm not in with all the super elite all content farmed type of players) because it would mean they are able to generate waaaaay too much wealth and this would begin to affect one or two players' effect on the economy (being able to buy all the items that are any good in a day, and starve others, etc.).

OK I will stop the rambling.
    TLDR: Lets be careful about altering level 50 and below content due to overgearing it by miles.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought: The wolf cave in Gaz has pretty homogeneous mobs, but also has homogeneous loot. Outside of a few once a day boxes, you can expect to have to continuously dump or flog rings and necklaces while gathering amazing and great skins. I actually prefer to do the outside area of Gaz. I can gather a lot of the same skins, plus tundra lichen, spruce, ice cores, rare fruits, metals, and now and then an explosive run, Notus Book, or expensive recipe. More fun, and better loot. Also a bit trickier and you die more, but that's why it isn't a boring grind.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is an artifact of the cave and mobs. If you don't do it right, you don't win, and heck, you might still lose.

What level vs the wolves, as well? Think to the lowest level that this might actually work.

You'd still expect there to be 'perfect storms' in which an AoE technique might work, even if it's balanced properly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

We aren't talking about the game even,we're talking about trash mobs getting treated like trash as being an issue apparently.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OpieFisher View Post
    We aren't talking about the game even,we're talking about trash mobs getting treated like trash as being an issue apparently.
    If they're being used for skins, they are the objective, not trash.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We aren't talking about balancing for Gazlak Keep.We aren't talking about balancing over level 100 content.We aren't talking about balancing for level 125 content right now.
    We are talking balance over trash mobs in a cave that once we get newer content no one will care about.
    I fail to see farming (either AoE or single target) anything to be an issue to be quite frank.
    Let's be honest,by rights we should have a server with developer tools to test the actual game with but we have to grind out money for our own skills.

What worries me is clearly this idea gets some play with Big E,because trash mobs getting the boot isn't something that really needs to be on the radar right now.

It bears mentioning that we are gonna get a gold/item wipe so to say that you are worried somebody is getting rich just holds no water with me,I'm much more concerned about getting to a point before the wipe were to balance even makes sense to do.Spending so much time on tweaks to every skill can and will eat up time that could be better spent making the game.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @OpieFisher They literally aren't 'trash mobs' if they're what someone went to the dungeon to kill.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just going by your logic there is no trash,everytime you go anywhere it's for something.

I say again if it's the word trash that's bugging you,I do not care about folks steamrolling mobs that they are over leveled and over geared for.
    What I do care about is the fact that apparently we are now blanket balancing skills over folks complaining about low level mob farming.
    I wouldn't have said anything at all if this wasn't apparently something that was listened to and acted upon.

Again,it's not the money that's the issue.
    We are getting a wipe and to be frank skins aren't what the rich folks made their money on.
    But time is getting spent on implementing nerfs for nonsense,if you are fine with that more power to you.

Thread Footer