Welcome to Project: Gorgon!


Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.



User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 88
  1. #61
    Member BetaNotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    368 (58 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I've actually thought a lot about this as well. I think terminal illnesses could bring a rich playstyle to the game. I love the idea that after a month of gameplay and hard work of reaching level 50+, a doom dice rolls and I have a chance to receive something deadly to my character. I do, however, think it needs some improvement.
    Getting back on topic, I also like this idea. Why restrict it to illnesses? Perhaps there could be a boss that temporarily, or permanently, removes one of your arms. A swordsman could become completely useless overnight, granting the player the exciting and fun experience of leveling a different skillset just to keep playing!
    Bannerholme Archivist

  2. #62
    Junior Member Khariel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    81 (123 Banked)
    I'm not saying you should be arrested in real life for scamming people in game. I don't know where that comparison came from, but it's completely irrelevant to the actual discussion.

    An item in game has value in game, so if you steal it in game, you should be punished in game.

    That clear enough for you?

    Saying "Buyer beware!" Or "Why would you give your mats to a stranger? It's your own fault if you get scammed." is ridiculous. It's condoning a "playstyle" which shouldn't be even remotely thought of as a valid one except in games which have systems for laws and criminal acts. We should be able to trust other players enough to know that if we're requesting that they make us a helmet, that it will be made. It might not be the exact helmet we want due to the randomized nature of mods, but it should be crafted with the proper skill gems, and handed over. We shouldn't have to sit there and worry about being ripped off.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Easylivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    648 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Umber View Post
    I get your point, virulently passive aggressive, but I get it.

    Point is, it's your choice as a player to hand someone else your stuff on a promise or on good-will alone. A "terminal illness", as you put it, is not a players choice. While both have to do with losing something you worked for in game, they are not the same thing. A square is a rectangle; a rectangle is not a square.
    I see where you are coming from with this. It would be the players choice to make a character and level. To avoid the terminal illness a player could not level and be fine.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Easylivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    648 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaNotus View Post
    Getting back on topic, I also like this idea. Why restrict it to illnesses? Perhaps there could be a boss that temporarily, or permanently, removes one of your arms. A swordsman could become completely useless overnight, granting the player the exciting and fun experience of leveling a different skillset just to keep playing!
    This is a good point, 3 points on a triangle,

    If we give the player the choice to fight the boss and have the option to get their arms removed then it makes it fun and exciting risk vs reward.

  5. #65
    Junior Member Umber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Hills of South Serbule
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    247 (0 Banked)
    I see the constructive debate and feedback portion has been replaced with jocularity.

    ISO healthy debate.
    "Sometimes, a good dagger is your only friend."

  6. #66
    Senior Member Easylivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    648 (0 Banked)
    After additional discussion in-game terminal illnesses could be great.

    Imagine an illness that makes your left arm weaker but right arm stronger. For example -3 damage with left arm attacks, but +3 damage to right arm attacks.

  7. #67
    Senior Member alleryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    198 (988 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post
    I'm not saying you should be arrested in real life for scamming people in game. I don't know where that comparison came from, but it's completely irrelevant to the actual discussion.

    An item in game has value in game, so if you steal it in game, you should be punished in game.

    That clear enough for you?

    Saying "Buyer beware!" Or "Why would you give your mats to a stranger? It's your own fault if you get scammed." is ridiculous. It's condoning a "playstyle" which shouldn't be even remotely thought of as a valid one except in games which have systems for laws and criminal acts. We should be able to trust other players enough to know that if we're requesting that they make us a helmet, that it will be made. It might not be the exact helmet we want due to the randomized nature of mods, but it should be crafted with the proper skill gems, and handed over. We shouldn't have to sit there and worry about being ripped off.
    I'm assuming this comment was directed at me.

    I don't think anyone suggested you ought to be arrested for in-game scamming. Someone suggested that the game required in-game punishment for scamming because no society allowed people to scam people without punishing them. Since there is no equivalent of an in-game jail (at least at present), we should ban scammers instead, went the argument.

    My retort was that in the real world, no one goes to jail for scamming people out of their "real life materials" (unless it's some massive pyramid scheme; i'm talking about seeing someone in the street who says "here take this pile of wood and meet be back here with a dresser"). That kind of behavior is technically illegal, as it violates a verbal contract, but it never would actually result in jail time. What would actually happen as punishment is that the transgressor would earn a bad reputation ("That guy totally ran off with my wood and didn't bring me a dresser. If you are driving around in your pick-up with a big pile of lumber, you should find some other person to make it into an armoire.").

    And yeah i think it's reasonable that you shouldn't just assume someone will follow through on an agreement. You should learn to protect yourself, not naively assume people are bound to some externally applied morality to do free service work for you just because you asked.

  8. #68
    Member BetaNotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    368 (58 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easylivin View Post
    After additional discussion in-game terminal illnesses could be great.

    Imagine an illness that makes your left arm weaker but right arm stronger. For example -3 damage with left arm attacks, but +3 damage to right arm attacks.
    I think you’d want it to be MainHand and Offhand, instead of left and right. It’s been mentioned that players may eventually be able to pick which side is their MainHand. That’s honestly not too damaging of a curse, I think it could easily be a simple or complex disease.
    Bannerholme Archivist

  9. #69
    Junior Member Khariel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points
    81 (123 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    I'm assuming this comment was directed at me.

    I don't think anyone suggested you ought to be arrested for in-game scamming. Someone suggested that the game required in-game punishment for scamming because no society allowed people to scam people without punishing them. Since there is no equivalent of an in-game jail (at least at present), we should ban scammers instead, went the argument.

    My retort was that in the real world, no one goes to jail for scamming people out of their "real life materials" (unless it's some massive pyramid scheme; i'm talking about seeing someone in the street who says "here take this pile of wood and meet be back here with a dresser"). That kind of behavior is technically illegal, as it violates a verbal contract, but it never would actually result in jail time. What would actually happen as punishment is that the transgressor would earn a bad reputation ("That guy totally ran off with my wood and didn't bring me a dresser. If you are driving around in your pick-up with a big pile of lumber, you should find some other person to make it into an armoire.").

    And yeah i think it's reasonable that you shouldn't just assume someone will follow through on an agreement. You should learn to protect yourself, not naively assume people are bound to some externally applied morality to do free service work for you just because you asked.

    If someone were contacted about making a dresser in the real world, and took off with the materials without doing the work, there would be real world consequences beyond simply getting a "bad reputation"

    If the value of the materials was high enough, they would in fact go to jail. In addition to paying fines and restitution to the victim of the crime.

    If you agree to do something, you do it. If you can't handle that, then don't agree to do the work. If you want payment for crafting something, say so (as a real world craftsman would.) If someone is advertising in general chat that they are making X item, mats + y councils, and someone approaches them to do it, there is a verbal agreement there, the craftsman is obligated to deliver. In that situation, they probably wouldn't get the money until the item was delivered, and it would be handled by the in game trading system, so there's little chance of anyone trying to cheat on the transaction, but even if they don't ask for a payment, they offered, or otherwise agreed to do the work, they should do it.

    We don't have the in game systems to inflict an appropriate punishment upon people who don't, so the behavior cannot be considered acceptable. It's that simple. If/when we have a system for such things, then you can argue for buyer beware and all that crap. Until then stick to your word or be reported since that is the only available means of punishing a scammer at this time.

  10. #70
    Senior Member alleryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Points
    198 (988 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post
    If someone were contacted about making a dresser in the real world, and took off with the materials without doing the work, there would be real world consequences beyond simply getting a "bad reputation"

    If the value of the materials was high enough, they would in fact go to jail. In addition to paying fines and restitution to the victim of the crime.
    I just don't think you have an accurate idea of how the court system works. Maybe if the victim was a celebrity or politician, but otherwise good luck.

    In my view all objects and labor in the game have value. For a crafter, the finished work has the value of the materials plus the labor. There is no reason transactions to make materials can't recompense that value at every stage. Pay for the mats, return the finished product for its value. Problem solved.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    What would actually happen as punishment is that the transgressor would earn a bad reputation ("That guy totally ran off with my wood and didn't bring me a dresser. If you are driving around in your pick-up with a big pile of lumber, you should find some other person to make it into an armoire.").
    I just wanted to flesh out this example a little more. The pick-up truck thing is quite unrealistic, so here's a better example. You go to a small bed and breakfast and they offer you terrible service, don't change your sheets and bring you dirty towels the next day. Are the owners going to jail? I don't think so.

    But you're going to write them a terrible review on yelp and their business is going to go in the toilet (particularly if they continue their bad practices).

    Reputation is essential when running a business, so i think we already have a punishment system in place to deal with any potential scammers. Adding a layer to that by making scamming bannable feels unnecessary to me. Why remove a layer of immersion in a role-playing world when you don't have to?
    Last edited by alleryn; 02-10-2017 at 04:53 PM.



Thread Footer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •