Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played a bit more and it's not half as bad. I managed to get some farm, but still exploring early dungeons has been ruined for me. I actually got further into dungeon than I probably should have with a help from higher level players. Starting island dungeon was magnificent due to its size and limited number of players(I even partied with someone to get past plants). Dunno how can this be fixed without pushing out more early game content. Separate instances would be the easiest fix, but as far as I am aware it's not the game plan for gorgon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instanced Dungeons, in my experience, bring just as many if not more negatives, unfortunately

Right now, game content stops at level 70, so a lot of players that have maxed out their preferred combat skills are going back into the older areas and dungeons to raise up other skills and to gather materials for crafting, but when new higher level content is released, this will relieve some pressure on the low level dungeons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preechr View Post
    Instanced Dungeons, in my experience, bring just as many if not more negatives, unfortunately

Right now, game content stops at level 70, so a lot of players that have maxed out their preferred combat skills are going back into the older areas and dungeons to raise up other skills and to gather materials for crafting, but when new higher level content is released, this will relieve some pressure on the low level dungeons
    It doesn't have to be instanced per player, you can simply have a channel system. So as an example, you enter Serbule Crypt and it's utterly packed, you have an option in the top right that says 'channel 1', and there's another one listed 'channel 2', choose it and you're zoned in another open instance.

Any other decision I feel would have major drawbacks while this would be perfect. I'm not sure it's necessary to implement yet, but if the player pop really starts picking up then it'll eventually be necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure like many I have benefited from having high level players lurking around the low level dungeons when I was new. Not always good experiences but generally beneficial.

The issue I have found is the way high level players deal with moving past or around someone hunting level relevant mobs for them. Many times I have body pulled a mob and as the mob is approaching me someone will hit it and then run through the other ones close by, killing them all thus you get nowt. Then proceed to clear the area you were in before moving on and not bury the corpses.

Maybe this was the culture in Asheron's Call and the same here but coming from a game where respecting the area someone was fighting in was a big thing, this seemed bad form. Not the end of the world but personally I always try to avoid a group of mobs if someone is working through them. Old habits I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that most of the games you guys are talking about had huge backing and a ton of developers. This game has 3? (I think). Them being able to do what they do is pretty dang good in my opinion and as soon as the store opens back up, I will be investing in their hard work.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leycian View Post
    It doesn't have to be instanced per player, you can simply have a channel system. So as an example, you enter Serbule Crypt and it's utterly packed, you have an option in the top right that says 'channel 1', and there's another one listed 'channel 2', choose it and you're zoned in another open instance.

Any other decision I feel would have major drawbacks while this would be perfect. I'm not sure it's necessary to implement yet, but if the player pop really starts picking up then it'll eventually be necessary.
    Though most refer to P:G as having one "server" the game seems to be actually served up in instances now, so the real question is does selectable instances conflict with the developers' open world concept?

As long as we are not talking about party specific instances, which inevitably leads to speed runs and mass elitism imo, I could get on board with reasonable instances that effectively limited the amount of players in each dungeon at one time... I think going too far into true open eventually leads to camping and then camp rules and a whole lot of other types of issues

Would be interested to hear if any of the Alpha Old-Timers can recall this subject being addressed...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preechr View Post
    Though most refer to P:G as having one "server" the game seems to be actually served up in instances now, so the real question is does selectable instances conflict with the developers' open world concept?

As long as we are not talking about party specific instances, which inevitably leads to speed runs and mass elitism imo, I could get on board with reasonable instances that effectively limited the amount of players in each dungeon at one time... I think going too far into true open eventually leads to camping and then camp rules and a whole lot of other types of issues

Would be interested to hear if any of the Alpha Old-Timers can recall this subject being addressed...
    I recall no instances being said, with the recent reddit AMA saying that guild/houses are the only planned instances.

If it is a severe problem I could see instances becoming a thing - Upping the amount of world spawns outside of dungeons would be a good temporary fix IMO.

Some other minor suggestions
    Enable some kind of scaling FFA loot, like you can set it to fast so after 10 seconds other players may loot(and bury) corpses. Now a high level running through crypt doesn't have to stop to bury everything if they drop an AoE, others can bury it if they wish.
    Make mobs ignore high level players(skeleton mage wont aggro on someone unless they're under 40 total level) - A lot of the time I kill everything is because I'm running to this one spot to kill this one thing and I drop an AoE so I'm not locked in combat for 30 seconds. This would also mean you don't get aggro'd by wolves while running through elt and stuff, which I see as nothing but annoying
    Last edited by Quanzhigao; 06-26-2018 at 06:59 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, the game engine (or code built on it) doesn't support combat in instances. So, you can have instanced houses or guild halls, but not dungeons.

This said, EQ didn't have instances for a long time and eventually support for them was added. But the philosophy of the game seems to preclude them, so if it happens it'll probably be only because success exceeded expectations by a long margin. Currently, in that case the plan would be to open more separate servers (again, as far as I know).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Channeled instances would be a cool way to handle overflow of players in a zone, just as long as you were able to switch between them fairly easily (like if someone on the other side invited you).

The bigger problem is making sure higher level players don't treat them as just larger, faster spawning dungeons. So like maybe if you were in one, you can't get loot priority from the second for twenty minutes or something.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why are we even talking instances with regard to population? instances, are, literally hitler (no /s).

if the population gets too big, then there should be more servers.

things SHOULDN'T be easy.

boo hoo, i have to compete with people for resources. boo hoo, theres not enough people.

challenges and idiosyncrasies are what make this game fun.

i love this game (can't play because i dont have a functioning computer, and cant afford to buy one because of impending legal troubles), but the MOMENT they even wavered on the firm stance of no instances, I am out.

Thread Footer