Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDown View Post
Hi,

I started playing project gorgon few days ago. It was quite a struggle at the beginning, but finally I figured out what actually works. I hit a level comfortable to go to dungeons and oh my. Why there are high level players 3 times my hp AoEing everything before I get a chance to hit anything? Is it really that profitable to farm low level dungeons? I went to 2 and it's the same story in both of them.
Reason 1: Self-Power Levelling A New Skill

The game, as designed, does not encourage someone to learn two new skills at the same time if they've already mastered another. If you're L(70)/L(70) Sword/Psych and you want to learn, say, shield... you learn shield and power level it with L(25+N)/L(N) Sword/Shield. To make matters worse, there's no reason to even care about shield-skill drops (and the entire economy that comes with that) because your sword skill is carrying you and that L70 sword/psych armor is going to be better than anything you see drop until L50 at least (and likely higher).

The Fix? The mods on armor should not affect your abilities if the abilities being used don't meet the requirements to equip the item. If I have a suit of L70/L70 Fire Magic / Shield armor, and I want to learn Psychology, the mods on that Fire Magic / Shield armor should not be active when Fire Magic / Psychology is active. This would encourage more gear sets, more use of lower level gear and nerf the comparative efficacy of self-power leveling one combat skill with another.

The problem? Self power-leveling alt skills is not only detrimental to the game... but unfortunately very, very fun. Many who embrace the game and all its eccentricities would be upset by such a nerf.

Reason 2: Farming

Whether spider bits for tailoring and alchemy, goblin bits for phrenology and the goblin tongue, or mushroom folk for their heartshrooms, farming low level dungeons is a thing made easier by being a high level character. There's nothing that kicks the excitement of an adventure in the teeth like a group of level appropriate newbies clearing through Serbule Crypt, only to have one higher level a-hole run past, pull the room and AE the adds and boss alike from under them.

The Fix? I think skill power levels should be dynamically capped in dungeons. If the dungeon is, say, a level 40 dungeon... and a L70 player runs in to AE farm it... have the skills on that L70 player's hotbar dynamically assume lower level variants no more than 15 levels higher than the intended level of the dungeon. I'm not married to 15 specifically, mind you, but the idea is that dungeons become less efficient farming places for higher level players.

The problem? High level character's stomping low-level characters by farming their dungeon crawl out from under them is not only detrimental to the game... but unfortunately very, very fun for those high level players. Many who embrace the game and all its eccentricities would be upset by such a nerf.