Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Class balance matters even in PvE if you want players to be playing on the same field. The difference is the balance you're aiming at is so that players don't end up uninvited to groups or not able to complete solo content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroanth View Post
    Unless PG makes it big time and get a million subscribers....

It could happen.
    Not sure I understand the logic...if a PvE game developed a large following why would they feel the need to shift focus to PvP?

I could understand if over the years after "launch" that some sort of PvP evolved - didn't something like that happened with LotRO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Class balance matters even in PvE if you want players to be playing on the same field. The difference is the balance you're aiming at is so that players don't end up uninvited to groups or not able to complete solo content.
    Ah yes, reminds me of being a ranger in early EQ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balance in PvE only matters when dungeons are designed so that DPS only parties can complete them, which is thankfully not the direction P:G seems to be going

A lot of the developers working on MMOs these days don't seem to enjoy playing MMOs much less understand the basics of building them

A proper MMO dungeon should require the skills of healers, tanks and controllers to complete it

The goal of playing in a group should be to fulfill one's role in the group, and the goal of the group should be to complete the content together as a team

This requires commitment to one's role and team, and this is a fundamental aspect of the mmoRPG genre... Even though we are not all into "Role-Playing" to the extend of talking funny and pretending to actually BE a pig-wizard living in a fantasy land, we should at least pretend that the "lives" and goals of our teammates matter and that they are more than a means to an end

Fantasy mmoRPGs draw in players from other genres of game because they are generally more complex, their worlds more rich and interesting and because their communities are less caustic than other types of games that attract hyper-competitive and aggressive players

Unfortunately, a lot of these "gamers" don't adapt as well as they'd like to think they do, and they advocate changes to make their new game more like all those other games they are used to... and when developers acceed to those demands, the underlying mmoRPG gets lost

Having a rich and complex world that is true to its core fundamentals CAN attract millions of players, and sure, it would be awesome if that happened, but the internet is so littered with "MMOS" that abandoned their roots, simplified their games and Quality-of-Life'd themselves to death in hope of getting a piece of that sweet WoW pie that any mmoRPG that doesn't follow that path is expected to wither and die... though none of those wannabes ever last long and none have supplanted WoW despite many years of trying

Back to balance... Obviously, you can't "balance" all classes to do equal DPS, which is the trap most MMOs (especially those that focus on PvP) fall into, as healers, tanks and controllers simply should not be relied upon to deal damage

Though there could be a case made for balance among roles... That's also not an issue with properly designed content because any damage dealer that out aggros the tank will likely take more damage than the healer can handle and die, at which point he is no longer capable of fulfilling his role

As for the support roles, while there may well be optimal tank, heal and CC builds, as a predominantly support oriented player I can attest that we generally are not as competitive as those that prefer DD roles, and our sense of personal achievement comes more from focusing on the group capability we provide

So, while one DD class may be able to out DPS another in a theoretical sense if set up precisely to do that, the risk involved in doing so should make that an impractical and undesirable choice in group content

As for solo content and leveling, I believe the AoE nerf is the first step toward adding more risk to glass cannon builds, and its also important to remember that players are able to effectively min-max to level 80+ in a game that right now does not offer any content at that level

A mmoRPG that requires balancing is one where the content has not provided it, so before we call for balance, why don't we wait to see what the finished game gives us?

In the mean time, I think its important to remember that every skill brings something unique and (potentially) important to a group, so maybe we should focus on suggestions that build on those unique qualities rather than trying to figure out how to build every skill to accomplish the exact same
    things

Oh yeah... this discussion was supposed to be about PvP... meh... still not a fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taledar View Post
    Not sure I understand the logic...if a PvE game developed a large following why would they feel the need to shift focus to PvP?

I could understand if over the years after "launch" that some sort of PvP evolved - didn't something like that happened with LotRO?
    I was thinking that if successful they simply would have a lot of room to expand. More devs, more servers........more features to satisfy more peoples' demands.

I feel my PvP proposal is a very Project: Gorgon'esque way of implementing PvP that's unique w/o getting into the 'balance drama' of players

To be honest, if PG feels that it cannot implement more PvP features without falling down the 'balance' trap, then yes I agree to not even do it and just keep it as simple as arenas or pvp toggles which I have read about. However, I hope they do give it a shot down the road because I think these game designers have the talent to revolutionize PVP in MMO's in an engaging way.
    Last edited by maestroanth; 06-13-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    I honestly don't see this as being a problem in PG so far. They just need to be careful about giving people metric data to bitch about. I mean as long as they don't add anything like DPS meters, or make it next to impossible for other indie dev's to make a DPS meter, players in this community seem to be pretty loose with letting people play what they want to play.

At least that's been my experience so far...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preechr View Post
    The goal of playing in a group should be to fulfill one's role in the group, and the goal of the group should be to complete the content together as a team
    Meh, I think the whole tank/healer/dps role crap needs to die. Being pigeon-holed isn't fun. That's what makes me excited about PG so far, and you can cooperate well and devise your own roles and strategies without being pigeon-holed from the get-go.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the chance of ever getting a millions players is small.

So sure, when we get a million players we can have a serious pvp discussion

And drop it until then.
    Last edited by Mikhaila; 06-13-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhaila View Post
    I think the chance of ever getting a millions players is small.
    So you're telling me there is a chance.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroanth View Post
    Meh, I think the whole tank/healer/dps role crap needs to die. Being pigeon-holed isn't fun. That's what makes me excited about PG so far, and you can cooperate well and devise your own roles and strategies without being pigeon-holed from the get-go.
    I actually kinda like having clearly defined roles. Grouping in GW2 wasn't all that fun for this reason - it was just a race to pile on as much damage as possible. Having played a variety of MMOs over the last 20 years, I have enjoyed the ones where I had a defined role in the group more. I loved tanking in WoW and DDO. I loved being a cleric in EQ1 and EQ2. I like playing a support bard/ment in this, making sure songs and ment buffs are always running when it matters. I think this game does a good job of giving classes a group identity while also making most classes soloable through most content. That's a tough balance to strike.

Also, no thank you to PvP. I'd rather have 100% dev time spent on the PvE experience, and 100% of the player base dedicated to experiencing it. No illusions about PvP, please.

Thread Footer